Need Car Repairs

trainergames

Should i sell my GPU's or should i TRY to find anything else i can sell?

I am asking because my current car is overheating,and i think it is the head gasket...

I found a dealership that will work with me,but they said they need at least enough down to cover TT&L.

I am considering selling my SLI GTX 970's to pay for it,but the only spare GPU's i have that arn't being used are a GTX 460 SE,and an HD 7750..

Do you think i should sell them? Or do my best to see if i can find ANYTHING else? If you think i should,or if i can't find anything else,how much should i sell them for?

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

If your going to a dealership, don't, they rip you off big time, you'll be better off finding a reputable repair shop, this is assuming you don't have the skills to fix it yourself

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Not a car guy, but from experience, out of the two cars I've seen die, both had overheating because of gasket problems. It might not be worth trying to save it, but then again, what do I know. As far as I say, it might be foolish to sell your graphics cards for something that potentially not even work at all. Ask some car guys online and provide more detail, then if they say the car's worth saving go ahead and sell.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg in the first place, head gaskets are dirt cheap and you really don't need a torque wrench either.

Well i would also have to have the head resurfaced,but according to a reply i got on a honda fourms they seem to think it might be more than just the head gasket,they think it is also the water pump...,and they said at that point the block may already be damaged,and it is better to replace the whole engine....

If your going to a dealership, don't, they rip you off big time, you'll be better off finding a reputable repair shop, this is assuming you don't have the skills to fix it yourself

I am not going to a dealership to have them fix it i would be going to get a used car and park my current car till i decide what i do with it.

I would be selling the 970's for a down payment...

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Just look into the problem, see if you can fix it, buy the parts and replace, or if you have no skill in it what so ever, ask your friend about a good repair shop and take the car their, dealerships can rip you off

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

I am not going to a dealership to have them fix it i would be going to get a used car and park my current car till i decide what i do with it.

I would look into fixing your car personally unless your car is very old, if you don't use the second gpu selling it wouldn't really hurt for a down payment just remember you'll lose quite a bit on that sale value wise, if you are okay with that and adamant about another car go for it.

Oh BTW my original comment was on the assumption that the down payment was for repairs

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well i would also have to have the head resurfaced,but according to a reply i got on a honda fourms they seem to think it might be more than just the head gasket,they think it is also the water pump...,and they said at that point the block may already be damaged,and it is better to replace the whole engine....

At least in my area, there are charities that provide transport to people with no other transportation for a low cost, like $5 to take you anywhere in the county, and it's a decently rural county. I've used those type of services before to get to work or school, so you might want to look into that before going for a new car. In the meantime you can save up for that down payment.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Consider yourself lucky, I feel like a samaritan and I'll take it off your hands for $20

Just look into the problem, see if you can fix it, buy the parts and replace, or if you have no skill in it what so ever, ask your friend about a good repair shop and take the car their, dealerships can rip you off

I was not going to a dealership to fix it i was going to go for to buy a used car.

Also i don't know if it can be fixed cheaply based on a post from a honda fourm,here is a quote of the post.

"Losing coolant, having to rev high to drop temps....

This is a mix of problems and one of them has been confirmed to be the water pump failing. The other does sound like a headgasket issue but what I've found is that it might already be too late to fix, you might need to check the head AND block for warpage. This is from an experience I had with my sisters integra. She neglect it so damn much I had no choice but to replace the engine to save myself the headache."

I would look into fixing your car personally unless your car is very old, if you don't use the second gpu selling it wouldn't really hurt for a down payment just remember you'll lose quite a bit on that sale value wise, if you are okay with that and adamant about another car go for it.

My current car is a 2000 honda civic with 126k miles,but a hand full of problems on top of this big problem.

I was already planning on parking it at income tax and getting a cheap car,but i don't think it will last that long.

My current car is a 2000 honda civic with 126k miles,but a hand full of problems on top of this big problem.

I was already planning on parking it at income tax and getting a cheap car,but i don't think it will last that long.

Well yeah a 15 year old car doesn't have much life in it unless you have mechanical skills, so it is probably your best bet unless you have something else you don't really use to sell, as you said the 970 doesn't really get much use anyway.

Well yeah a 15 year old car doesn't have much life in it unless you have mechanical skills, so it is probably your best bet unless you have something else you don't really use to sell, as you said the 970 doesn't really get much use anyway.

i was thinking of selling both and just using my 460 or 7750,then i can replace them with something better at income tax. What would be a good price to sell both if they have never been overclocked?

If this helps the car i would love to get from that dealership is a 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS with 138k miles for only $3995.

No you wouldn't? Unless there's SERIOUS damage to the engine because of heat if it's just your head gasket going out all you'd need to do is replace it which is as simple as unbolting the covers, removing the old gasket (clean the surface with a rag), put the new gasket on, and bolt on the covers.

No you wouldn't? Unless there's SERIOUS damage to the engine because of heat if it's just your head gasket going out all you'd need to do is replace it which is as simple as unbolting the covers, removing the old gasket (clean the surface with a rag), put the new gasket on, and bolt on the covers.

The guy on the honda fourms said that coolant bubbling in the radiator does point to the head gasket,but the fact that i am losing coolant and revving high cools the engine a little,that points to water pump,and they think that if both are bad,it may have warped the head,and mabye the block,and i would hate to put a few hundred bucks into it if the block is bad...

The guy on the honda fourms said that coolant bubbling in the radiator does point to the head gasket,but the fact that i am losing coolant and revving high cools the engine a little,that points to water pump,and they think that if both are bad,it may have warped the head,and mabye the block,and i would hate to put a few hundred bucks into it if the block is bad...

I would get that checked by someone to be sure.

bubbles in the radiator is one of the major signs that its a headgasket failure.

first time I did a headgasket on my own it took me a week. of off and on wrenching. today I could do it in 2 days... 1 if I didn't have to take the head in to get surfaced. but that is because I know my engine bay inside out and working inside the cramped space of a japanese import brings complications.

I would NEVER say its easy to do and is only a "couple bolts removing the old stuff with a rag" doing a headgasket swap is near the top of the list of most time intensive tasks you can do inside the engine bay.

are you mistaking valve cover gasket with headgasket perchance?

are you mistaking valve cover gasket with headgasket perchance?

Probably.