Looking for a New Laptop

neoxid501
Go to solution Solved by exercutor5,

Can the fan filter be accessed and cleaned would probably be my last question then lol

For every laptop suggested I've tried to find a review, the Sager I frankly couldn't find any so that's why I'm asking so many questions (sorry Executor). But apparently you can't access the fans on the Nitro, or can you? Because if so I want to be able to clean those :P

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-P506-Clevo-P651RE-Notebook-Review.152021.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-P651SE-Schenker-XMG-P505-Barebones-Notebook-Review.127978.0.html

These are exactly the same machines, just that from another Clevo reseller for another region.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-with-gtx-970m-htwingnuts-review.765376/

The NP8651 is the older Haswell variant, so is the P505. P506 is the new updated Skylake variant. The fans are quite easy to reach, just remove all the screws on the bottom panel and carefully open it up, you should see the 3 fans. 

I'm being fairly picky about finding a new laptop to replace my Asus G75VX. I've had no problems with it other than its size (being bulkier thanks to the fan on the back it's a bit inconvenient to fit into certain bags) and its weight.

If I can get a current-gen replacement that somehow retains proper cooling, very quiet performance, and cuts back on weight I'd be a happy camper. And if it's not possible, then I'll opt for a current gen Asus and just buy a larger backpack for it lol. Thanks!

I'm being fairly picky about finding a new laptop to replace my Asus G75VX. I've had no problems with it other than its size (being bulkier thanks to the fan on the back it's a bit inconvenient to fit into certain bags) and its weight.

If I can get a current-gen replacement that somehow retains proper cooling, very quiet performance, and cuts back on weight I'd be a happy camper. And if it's not possible, then I'll opt for a current gen Asus and just buy a larger backpack for it lol. Thanks!

Don't miss out important information like needs, budget and where you live.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Sorry I'm new here!

Needs (long I know): 

Intel processor with at least 2.4Ghz
Nvidia graphics with at least 3GB dedicated
8Gb RAM or higher
IPS Screen
Kensington Lock
Bluetooth
Ethernet Port
Low Weight (8 pounds is acceptable)
Controlled temperatures and quiet fan under load
Can fit into a bag for 17.3 inch laptops

Budget: $1600 ISH, I can save if it's REALLY that attractive of a choice

I live in the US

Sorry I'm new here!

Needs (long I know): 

8Gb RAM or higher
IPS Screen
Kensington Lock
Bluetooth
Ethernet Port

I live in the US

Then do you mind waiting for Black Friday?

It is literally right around the corner.

Sure, but does anyone have any recommendations? I guess a tldr would be it needs to be able to stream, and have a reasonable size and weight with near silent fans.

Sure, but does anyone have any recommendations? I guess a tldr would be it needs to be able to stream, and have a reasonable size and weight with near silent fans.

What do you plan to do with the 17.3" gaming laptop?

Do you really need a 17.3" size?

If you do plan to game, what type of games are you going to game?

Sorry I'm new here!

Needs (long I know): 

8Gb RAM or higher
IPS Screen
Kensington Lock
Bluetooth
Ethernet Port

I live in the US

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8657-S.html

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8677-S.html

Add a G-Sync display and you're good to go. These are thin yet cool laptops, because they have 3 cooling fans in them. I listed 2 laptops, they are actually the same, just whether you would prefer a 15.6" or 17.3" machine.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

What do you plan to do with the 17.3" gaming laptop?

Do you really need a 17.3" size?

If you do plan to game, what type of games are you going to game?

I don't NEED a 17.3" size and I actually just use my Asus to stream. I want an upgrade that would be able to handle games like Battlefront III and be able to stream them (my current Asus can do that, but just at lower settings). If you're wondering why I would want a laptop for this purpose, it's because I tend to go to a lot of LAN parties (or you know, wi fi parties but in the same room) and I like the portability option either way.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8657-S.html

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8677-S.html

Add a G-Sync display and you're good to go. These are thin yet cool laptops, because they have 3 cooling fans in them. I listed 2 laptops, they are actually the same, just whether you would prefer a 15.6" or 17.3" machine.

That is a BEEFY spec list O_O

Beats everything else I've looked at so far and has better specs to boot! If I don't overclock anything and keep it on a flat hard surface it should stay at around 70-80C while streaming CS GO or something right?

Beats everything else I've looked at so far and has better specs to boot! If I don't overclock anything and keep it on a flat hard surface it should stay at around 70-80C while streaming CS GO or something right?

It should. In case if you're paranoid that the temperature would go up, just hit Fn + 1 where it would put the fans in max. You should note when your fan is at max often, it would collect dust much faster then if it is on automatic more often.

It should. In case if you're paranoid that the temperature would go up, just hit Fn + 1 where it would put the fans in max. You should note when your fan is at max often, it would collect dust much faster then if it is on automatic more often.

Oh, Sager finally updated their websites. I remember when their website is all dull and no design, lol.

I don't NEED a 17.3" size and I actually just use my Asus to stream. I want an upgrade that would be able to handle games like Battlefront III and be able to stream them (my current Asus can do that, but just at lower settings). If you're wondering why I would want a laptop for this purpose, it's because I tend to go to a lot of LAN parties (or you know, wi fi parties but in the same room) and I like the portability option either way.

You can try XoticPC to find all of your gaming laptops.

You can try a slim ASUS RoG gaming laptop to carry less. 

There is Alienware 15 if you are interested. 

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro is the lightest gaming laptop with decent specs, battery life and weighs just 5.29 pounds. Grab it on this Black Friday  :)

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro is the lightest gaming laptop with decent specs, battery life and weighs just 5.29 pounds. Grab it on this Black Friday  :)

Say that in MSI's face and they would come whacking you with the GS60 which they would claim is the lightest.

I have my own Acer V15 Nitro and I can tell that its pretty light laptop. I don't know about GS60, Amazon says it weighs 4.2 pounds. Ya it may be lighter than my laptop.

I recommended Acer V15 because I personally use it as my daily driver and I walk about 20 mins a day with laptop in my backpack and that doesn't boor my shoulders! whatelse do you need?

I have my own Acer V15 Nitro and I can tell that its pretty light laptop. I don't know about GS60, Amazon says it weighs 4.2 pounds. Ya it may be lighter than my laptop.

I recommended Acer V15 because I personally use it as my daily driver and I walk about 20 mins a day with laptop in my backpack and that doesn't boor my shoulders! whatelse do you need?

A better keyboard and more raw horsepower.

Yay 1000 posts.

Can the fan filter be accessed and cleaned would probably be my last question then lol

For every laptop suggested I've tried to find a review, the Sager I frankly couldn't find any so that's why I'm asking so many questions (sorry Executor). But apparently you can't access the fans on the Nitro, or can you? Because if so I want to be able to clean those :P

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-P506-Clevo-P651RE-Notebook-Review.152021.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-P651SE-Schenker-XMG-P505-Barebones-Notebook-Review.127978.0.html

These are exactly the same machines, just that from another Clevo reseller for another region.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-with-gtx-970m-htwingnuts-review.765376/

The NP8651 is the older Haswell variant, so is the P505. P506 is the new updated Skylake variant. The fans are quite easy to reach, just remove all the screws on the bottom panel and carefully open it up, you should see the 3 fans. 

Yes it is easily accessible and can be cleaned easily, I have no issues with this laptop.

Yes it is easily accessible and can be cleaned easily, I have no issues with this laptop.

Do you have the XMG or Sager (yes I realize they are the same, but i'm just curious :P)

Do you have the XMG or Sager (yes I realize they are the same, but i'm just curious :P)

Aftershock. That is my local Clevo reseller. XMG is for the European market. People in the US typically use Sager or Eurocom.

What about the new qHD+ Razer Blade?

Overpriced. You can get something cheaper yet more powerful and cools better.

Overpriced. You can get something cheaper yet more powerful and cools better.

I don't think you understand the definition of "overpriced" Expensive doesn't mean overpriced. Get that outta ya head. 

" very quiet performance, and cuts back on weight I'd be a happy camper"

Clearly, the OP sees value in something that has powerful specs AND being light. Not everyone pursues pure performance when looking at gaming notebooks. 

I don't think you understand the definition of "overpriced" Expensive doesn't mean overpriced. Get that outta ya head. 

" very quiet performance, and cuts back on weight I'd be a happy camper"

Clearly, the OP sees value in something that has powerful specs AND being light. Not everyone pursues pure performance when looking at gaming notebooks. 

If you compare the price-to-performance ratio, the ratio is so much different as compared something that is just slightly heavier and almost the same specs. For $2400, that is way too expensive for something with just a 4720HQ and a 970M. And even, the 970M cannot really run games and some shit at QHD+ at a constant 60. So tell me, if something is this expensive and it does not perform well at its native settings, what do you call this? And the 4720HQ runs warmer than the 4710HQ, and I would like you to tell me how does this cope with thermals even. Thin and thermals are not friends.

If you compare the price-to-performance ratio, the ratio is so much different as compared something that is just slightly heavier and almost the same specs. For $2400, that is way too expensive for something with just a 4720HQ and a 970M. And even, the 970M cannot really run games and some shit at QHD+ at a constant 60. So tell me, if something is this expensive and it does not perform well at its native settings, what do you call this? And the 4720HQ runs warmer than the 4710HQ, and I would like you to tell me how does this cope with thermals even. Thin and thermals are not friends.

Forget it. I'm not even gonna try.