Should I just buy an SSD for my laptop or save to build a crappy computer?

PlayStation 2

I really love having the space of my 750GB hard drive (and dual booting Windows 8.1 and Server 2008 R2) but I've been thinking about saving up for this.

Would it be worth it? Would it just be better if I saved $220 or so to build a shitty TF2 machine? I wanna hear your thoughts on it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I really love having the space of my 750GB hard drive (and dual booting Windows 8.1 and Server 2008 R2) but I've been thinking about saving up for this.

Would it be worth it? Would it just be better if I saved $220 or so to build a shitty TF2 machine? I wanna hear your thoughts on it.

The only reason to get a SSHD.

Is yours.

I put one in my mums i5 laptop, needed to keep filespace there, but wanted faster speeds.

Best of Both worlds.

/Feels like the SSD cache runs at 200-250Mbps from a GUESSTIMATE, and unless your doing heavy stuff which will fill the cache (game files) then its no issue staying speedy.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

depends on the specs of your laptop

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Those are 2 wildly different things, I am not even sure what to say

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

depends on the specs of your laptop

Check my profile.

Fuck it, I'll just paste it here.

System

• CPU
    AMD A6-5200 with Radeon HD 8400 Graphics
  • Motherboard
    whatever's in the laptop
  • RAM
    4GB Samsung DDR3 1600MHz, 4GB Hitachi? DDR3 1600MHz
  • GPU
    AMD Radeon HD 8400/R3 Graphics
  •  
  • Storage
    750GB HGST hard drive, 5400rpm
  •  
  • Display(s)
    1366x768 laptop screen
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Operating System
    Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2008 R2
  •  
  •  

I think the ssd would be better in the long run, unless the laptop is dogshit

EDIT: seeing your specs now i really have no fucking clue

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Check my profile.

Fuck it, I'll just paste it here.

System

• CPU
    AMD A6-5200 with Radeon HD 8400 Graphics
  • Motherboard
    whatever's in the laptop
  • RAM
    4GB Samsung DDR3 1600MHz, 4GB Hitachi? DDR3 1600MHz
  • GPU
    AMD Radeon HD 8400/R3 Graphics
  •  
  • Storage
    750GB HGST hard drive, 5400rpm
  •  
  • Display(s)
    1366x768 laptop screen
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Operating System
    Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2008 R2
  •  
  •  

It really depends on what you want out of the system. If you want to game, you probably won't get far with that laptop, although you will get lightning fast SSD performance by spending your funds on the PNY you mentioned.

The $220 PC idea is a bit of a double-edged sword, though. You won't get much gaming performance with $220 worth of new parts, and there's no telling how long used parts will last you. 

If you just want a faster laptop, definitely grab the SSD. If you want to build a gaming computer, maybe look at a combination of used and new parts? If there's anything you can learn from LMGs chronicles of frugality (see Scrapyard Wars), you can get respectable performance for low prices. In fact, with storage prices dropping as rapidly as they are, you should be able to sneak an SSD in there, either now or as a first upgrade.

The only reason to get a SSHD.

Is yours.

I put one in my mums i5 laptop, needed to keep filespace there, but wanted faster speeds.

Best of Both worlds.

/Feels like the SSD cache runs at 200-250Mbps from a GUESSTIMATE, and unless your doing heavy stuff which will fill the cache (game files) then its no issue staying speedy.

i can already tell an sshd isn't right for me

Do you know if your laptop is SATA 3gb/s or SATA 6gb/s?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Pretty sure it's 6gb/s. Any way on checking that?

Crystal disk info I think...

Edit yep:

post-231750-0-16395500-1445869412_thumb.

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

If your laptop has a dvd reader you can always put your 750GB in it with a special bracket. There is little to no point in buying a crappy. For that price its either laptop or used pc from something like scrapyard wars

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

You could always buy the SSD to use in the laptop, then when you have enough to build a PC, use the SSD in the PC.

Hello,

What is your laptop brand/model... i might have a solution for you!

If you don't use your optical drive you can put one of these in:

9-5mm-Serial-ATA-2ND-caddy-for-apple-Opt

Turns your optical drive into a HDD slot, so you can put both a HDD and a SSD in your laptop.

I really don't know why these are not more popular... who uses CDs these days! 

If you don't use your optical drive you can put one of these in:

9-5mm-Serial-ATA-2ND-caddy-for-apple-Opt

Turns your optical drive into a HDD slot, so you can put both a HDD and a SSD in your laptop.

I really don't know why these are not more popular... who uses CDs these days! 

link

~snip~

Hey there :)

A SSD would surely boost the performance of your laptop. With their fast access times and high transfer speeds a SSD should decrease all your loading and boot times, increase your transfer speeds and make the system much smoother and much more responsive so I'd say go for it if the space is enough. 
Hybrid drives are also a good option if you use the laptop mainly for just a few things. They are regular HDDs with small SSD portion used for caching. The drive itself decides which applications you use the most and stores their load files on the SSD portion for faster and better performance. The problem is that you have no control over what goes there and if you use the laptop for a variety of reasons, you won't see much improvement. You can check WD Blue SSHD though: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=BQ1rbB
You can also consider a Dual-Drive option. WD Black2 offers a 120GB SSD with a 1TB HDD in the same 2.5" form factor and unlike hybrid drives the two portions work independently and you decide what goes where. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=mUXs4Z
Using a optical bay caddy is also a good option but I would recommend placing the HDD there and putting the SSD on the main SATA slot as optical drives usually use slower SATA connection and you would most probably bottleneck the performance of the SSD if you put it in the caddy. 

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Agreed with the post above.

WD Blacks are pretty cool devices. But buying one would be more expensive than the caddy solution. What I don't like about those drives is that both drives are connected to the same SATA port. And its a more expensive solution than getting a 128gig ssd + caddy.

If you go with the caddy, do it like captain_wd said, hdd in the caddy and ssd in the main bay.

But since you said you love storage space, you can do both. WD Black2 + Caddy for your existing drive... you end up with a SSD and 2xHDD :D