Does it make sense to have dual i7 5820k's OC instead of one massive xeon?

A dual I7's set up theoretically gives performance due to overclocking and costs less. But this is just an Idea I had. I don't even know if you can overclock on a dual socket motherboard. and I may be an idiot. What do you guys think?

A dual I7's set up theoretically gives performance due to overclocking and costs less. But this is just an Idea I had. I don't even know if you can overclock on a dual socket motherboard. and I may be an idiot. What do you guys think?

Only Xeons can be used in multi-CPU configurations. There's no such thing as dual i7.

Except that a Intel 5820K would not work in a dual socket motherboard as only Xeons are supported like the Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard

The motherboard supports the latest Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family with dual LGA 2011-3 sockets.

It's not possible, and even it it was the multiplier would most likely be locked in the BIOS.

The motherboard supports the latest Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family with dual LGA 2011-3 sockets.

Cool copy and paste. ;)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

A long time ago there was a motherboard called the Asus BP6, and it was dual socket and and it took Pentium 3 CPUs. I ran two celeron 366Mhz CPUs on it and they overclocked to 550Mhz. That was some machine for its time.

Today however its only Xeon's on dual boards and the boards themselves are targeted at servers, that market of 2x CPUs in the desktop workstation has all but dried up these days.