What is Async Compute shader?

sanderlawrence

It's not important people like to make a big flack around this but i'm sure only a handful of games will take advantage of this and it will not change anything in the end.

http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2015/09/nvidia-directx-12-and-asynchronous-compute-dont-panic-yet/

What does this mean for current NVIDIA and AMD cards?

AMD graphics cards have an advantage in at least one DX 12 game, Ashes of the Singularity. They may have more advantages in other DX12 games. Completely writing off NVIDIA, however, is just silly.

NVIDIA GPUs will continue to perform well in DX 12. The Ashes benchmark is one game that utilizes asynchronous shading significantly, but we’ve yet to see any other real-world DX 12 benchmarks. We don’t know how well other upcoming games will use asynchronous shading, if they use it at all.

AMD’s Mantle/Vulkan API already use some of the features coming in DX 12, and have supported asynchronous shading for some time. While a couple benchmarks show enormous performance gains using Mantle over DX 11 (60%+ in some extreme cases), most real-world performance benefits on balanced gaming PCs are more in the 5-10% range. Very nice, but not Earth-shattering.

We are not here to root for NVIDIA over AMD, or vice-versa. In fact, it would be nice to see AMD catch up on their lagging GPU sales, as we don’t want to see either company achieve a monopoly in the graphics card space. We just want to deal with the facts, not the hype.

In the long run, developers will no doubt make more use of asynchronous shading. They already are on consoles. But that will take years to make its way into PC games in any big way, because developers need to learn to use the new features, and will want to still support older PC hardware.

Our PC hardware recommendations will continue to be based on what works well now, and what will likely work well in the future. That includes considerations related to real-world gaming performance, acoustics, thermals, reliability and build quality. Sacrificing that viewpoint based on speculation about what may or may not happen in the future would be irresponsible.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

even with A-SYNC computing it just makes AMD GPU's On par with the next level of Nvidia GPU's on Ashes of singularity. as in the Fury is cheaper but performs nearly identical as a 980Ti in DX12 kinda thing its just leveling the playing field so far buts that still 1 game. Can't wait for Ark Survival Evolved to get DX12 workin

even with A-SYNC computing it just makes AMD GPU's On par with the next level of Nvidia GPU's on Ashes of singularity. as in the Fury is cheaper but performs nearly identical as a 980Ti in DX12 kinda thing its just leveling the playing field so far buts that still 1 game. Can't wait for Ark Survival Evolved to get DX12 workin

They were on par to begin with?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

What is async compute shader? and why is it important in dx12?

Async Compute/Async Shader is not available in DirectX11.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

no.

Take the Ashes benchmark with a grain of salt, AMD never had much work done with their DX11 driver for Ashes. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Take the Ashes benchmark with a grain of salt, AMD never had much work done with their DX11 driver for Ashes. 

I see might all just be a plot.

It's not important people like to make a big flack around this but i'm sure only a handful of games will take advantage of this and it will not change anything in the end.

http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2015/09/nvidia-directx-12-and-asynchronous-compute-dont-panic-yet/

AMD graphics cards have an advantage in at least one DX 12 game, Ashes of the Singularity. They may have more advantages in other DX12 games. Completely writing off NVIDIA, however, is just silly.

NVIDIA GPUs will continue to perform well in DX 12. The Ashes benchmark is one game that utilizes asynchronous shading significantly, but we’ve yet to see any other real-world DX 12 benchmarks. We don’t know how well other upcoming games will use asynchronous shading, if they use it at all.

AMD’s Mantle/Vulkan API already use some of the features coming in DX 12, and have supported asynchronous shading for some time. While a couple benchmarks show enormous performance gains using Mantle over DX 11 (60%+ in some extreme cases), most real-world performance benefits on balanced gaming PCs are more in the 5-10% range. Very nice, but not Earth-shattering.

We are not here to root for NVIDIA over AMD, or vice-versa. In fact, it would be nice to see AMD catch up on their lagging GPU sales, as we don’t want to see either company achieve a monopoly in the graphics card space. We just want to deal with the facts, not the hype.

In the long run, developers will no doubt make more use of asynchronous shading. They already are on consoles. But that will take years to make its way into PC games in any big way, because developers need to learn to use the new features, and will want to still support older PC hardware.

Our PC hardware recommendations will continue to be based on what works well now, and what will likely work well in the future. That includes considerations related to real-world gaming performance, acoustics, thermals, reliability and build quality. Sacrificing that viewpoint based on speculation about what may or may not happen in the future would be irresponsible.

I love the immediate fanboyism. 

Very nice but the fact is 3 game benchmarks came out and all of them showing the exact same thing - AMD's hardware being 20-30% ahead of Nvidia's with the exception of GM200

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Very nice but the fact is 3 game benchmarks came out and all of them showing the exact same thing - AMD's hardware being 20-30% ahead of Nvidia's with the exception of GM200

ohhhh i guess you havnt heard the news?! i know you can't read this but try to translate it or someting..

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/ashes-of-the-singularity-neue-directx-12-benchmarks-mit-amd-und-nvidia/#diagramm-ashes-of-the-singularity-directx-12-1920-1080

here whast i say:

Compared to the prior two months ago Ashes of the Singularity has made some steps forward. The Options menu with the Preferences now works correctly and crashes are no longer occurred during the tests. In addition, the game was led in part significantly faster than previously. AMD today introduced the Catalyst 15:10 for download that will specifically improve the DirectX 12 performance in the strategy game. And Nvidia has completed several new drivers since the origin test.

The following benchmarks are to the graphics card test system has been created. As a driver of new Catalyst 15:10 and the GeForce 358.50 installed. For comparison, the older Catalyst 15.8 and the GeForce 355.60 were playing. As a graphic presets "medium" and "Epic" are selected.

...you can see nivida's offering slap bitching the AMD in DX11 (970 much faster than 390) and then you can see the cards line up where they are supposed to be in DX12 now:

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/ashes-of-the-singularity-neue-directx-12-benchmarks-mit-amd-und-nvidia/#diagramm-ashes-of-the-singularity-directx-12-1920-1080

Capture.png

Capture2.png

How SAD :( you gonna have to stop trumpeting those glorious AMD performance under DX12 now that nvidia is catching up huh?! ...imagine what it will be when the game ready driver for AoS will launch from nvidia.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

ohhhh i guess you havnt heard the news?! i know you can't read this but try to translate it or someting..

here whast i say:

Compared to the prior two months ago Ashes of the Singularity has made some steps forward. The Options menu with the Preferences now works correctly and crashes are no longer occurred during the tests. In addition, the game was led in part significantly faster than previously. AMD today introduced the Catalyst 15:10 for download that will specifically improve the DirectX 12 performance in the strategy game. And Nvidia has completed several new drivers since the origin test.

The following benchmarks are to the graphics card test system has been created. As a driver of new Catalyst 15:10 and the GeForce 358.50 installed. For comparison, the older Catalyst 15.8 and the GeForce 355.60 were playing. As a graphic presets "medium" and "Epic" are selected.

...you can see nivida's offering slap bitching the AMD in DX11 (970 much faster than 390) and then you can see the cards line up where they are supposed to be in DX12 now:

Capture.png

Capture2.png

How SAD :( you gonna have to stop trumpeting those glorious AMD performance under DX12 now that nvidia is catching up huh?! ...imagine what it will be when the game ready driver for AoS will launch from nvidia.

970 is still 10% behind and 980 Ti and Fury X are dead even. So much for the 970 and 390 trading blows.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

970 is still 10% behind and 980 Ti and Fury X are dead even. So much for the 970 and 390 trading blows.

54.6 / 50.6 = 1.079 :)

29.2/27.1 = 1.077

make sense for the 980ti and furyX to be equal since they cost the same?

...and what about directX11 performance since 98% of the games that will come out in the next couple years will still be DX11 titles? many games still have DX9 and DX10 support even to this day...it will take years before most games will be based on DX12...by the time most of them do, the 390 and 970 will both no longer be really viable and relevant anyways.

54.6 / 50.6 = 1.079 :)

make sense for the 980ti and furyX to be equal since they cost the same?

10% of 50 fps is 5 fps

You cant argue with AMD fanboys. They will not give up no matter what.

AMD is the best card. End of discussion.

here whast i say:

Capture.png

Capture2.png

Your fanboyism is much worse than team red here. Much worse. Kinda disturbing really.