Why the 4690K is a underperforming bottleneck!

Ok so this here is my Firestrike score

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9017242

And this is a i7

dZ4KBs6.png

Theres no real performance benefit unless youre doing rendering they said. The 4690k performs just as well in benchmarks and games they said.

Edited by Godlygamer23

And this is a i7

[spoiler]dZ4KBs6.png  [/spoiler]

Theres no real performance benefit unless youre doing rendering they said. The 4690k performs just as well in benchmarks and games they said.

It's called synthetic benchmarking for a reason

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

There is a Physics test in 3DMark, which the 5820K will perform better in and can affect the overall score in the end. Not to mention that the card in the 5820K test could have been overclocked, if you ever look at benchmarks using 3DMark, GPU overclocking really boosts the score.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

There is a Physics test in 3DMark, which the 5820K will perform better in and can affect the overall score in the end. Not to mention that the card in the 5820K test could have been overclocked, if you ever look at benchmarks using 3DMark, overclocking really boosts the score.

*plus 620mhz on the mem. My graphics score isnt the problem its the physics and combined
Sure its got more cores but the difference shouldnt be that big. Even the 4790k can easily break 10k on the physics score

*plus 620mhz on the mem. My graphics score isnt the problem its the physics and combined

Of course physics score is much better on the 5820K because it's purely a CPU intensive task. The 5820K is a more powerful processor in these regards, thus resulting in a higher score. I don't see the surprise here.

Sure its got more cores but the difference shouldnt be that big. Even the 4790k can easily break 10k on the physics score

We also don't know what (and if) the overclock is on the 5820K. Let me download 3DMark real quick and run the test on my system, which is a 5820K (4.4 GHz) + GTX 970 (1565MHz)

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

r

Of course physics score is much better on the 5820K because it's purely a CPU intensive task. The 5820K is a more powerful processor in these regards, thus resulting in a higher score. I don't see the surprise here.

Obviously the difference is there but I never expected near 10,000 more on the physics score

r

Obviously the difference is there but I never expected near 10,000 more on the physics score

Four 3.5 GHz threads is quite aways from twelve (potentially) 4.0+ GHz threads. We'll see when I download 3DMark, it'll be about 20 minutes and I'll report back.

Four 3.5 GHz threads is quite aways from twelve (potentially) 4.0+ GHz threads. We'll see when I download 3DMark, it'll be about 20 minutes and I'll report back.

No my cards at 4.3 if it was 3.5 it would barely muster up 7k

Of cource the i7 does better in benchmarks....

But games it wont matter.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Of cource the i7 does better in benchmarks....

But games it wont matter.

Unless your running triple SLI or Crossfire it won't matter and by that point you should be looking at a six core i7 or an eight core for more PCI-E lanes rather than pure performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If you actually look at the individual benchmarks, you'll find something interesting. The 4690K gets over 14,000 points for Graphics, 8440 points for Physics, and 5288 points for the Combined Score. On the other hand, the 5820K gets 13,672 points for Graphics, 17,701 points for Physics, and 5058 points for the Combined Score. Your outlier is the Physics score which I believe is able to use more than 4 threads. The other two tests, the 4690K actually ends up doing better with the 970 versus the 5820K.

The title of this post is sensationalist.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Did you even read your own results...?

It's quite clearly the difference in the physics score that makes up for the higher mean score on the i7 system. Which makes sense because the i7 is the faster CPU.

What it doesn't translate to is a bottleneck in a real-world scenario.

No my cards at 4.3 if it was 3.5 it would barely muster up 7k

Here are the results on my system. 

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9017872?

Did you even read your own results...?

It's quite clearly the difference in the physics score that makes up for the higher mean score on the i7 system. Which makes sense because the i7 is the faster CPU.

What it doesn't translate to is a bottleneck in a real-world scenario.

sigh I know its the physics score the i7 is obviously faster but surely the difference shouldnt be that big?

sigh I know its the physics score the i7 is obviously faster but surely the difference shouldnt be that big?

Why can't it be? That's more than double the physics score of the 4690K. The 5820K has 6 cores with hyper-threading. If the test can use all 12 threads, that would explain why there's a big difference.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well looks like it is. Time to upgrade.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

And this is a i7

If you want to get real-world performance numbers, you have to actually test real-world programs. So which games did you test?

You do realize that the entire point of a CPU-only benchmark (which is what a physics test is) is to show the maximum computational power of the CPU, right? The difference you see in those scores is precisely why the i7 destroys in rendering, but it's not and was never intended to be taken as an indicator of game performance.

Witcher 3 shows improved fps in cities when using a 4790k verse a 4690k. A better CPU WILL give you higher fps. Why this forum is so unwilling to admit this I will never know.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Of course if your only aim is to get the best 3D mark score you can, an i7 is better than an i5, because the physics test isolates the cpu, and the i7 is obvioiusly a better cpu, but that doesn't mean the i5 is causing any bottlenecks in real world situations.

The difference you see in those scores is precisely why the i7 destroys in rendering, but it's not and was never intended to be taken as an indicator of game performance.

Some games do have complex physics.Take Crysis 3 for example. Grass physics destroys i5's. The difference between 4690k and 4790k with HT is up to 30%.

Another example is Witcher 3, which is CPU-bound in cities and villages and you get microstuttering even with a 4790k. 

So imo the 3dMark's physics test is an indicator of how different CPUs will perform in CPU-heavy scenarios in games. 

Witcher 3 shows improved fps in cities when using a 4790k verse a 4690k. A better CPU WILL give you higher fps. Why this forum is so unwilling to admit this I will never know.

Thank you.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

r

You also need to look at other i5 CPUs you're looking at all i7 which have hyper threading. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Firestrike is meaningless

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you want to get real-world performance numbers, you have to actually test real-world programs. So which games did you test?

You do realize that the entire point of a CPU-only benchmark (which is what a physics test is) is to show the maximum computational power of the CPU, right? The difference you see in those scores is precisely why the i7 destroys in rendering, but it's not and was never intended to be taken as an indicator of game performance.

Knowing my setup can run any game at a decent framerate at high settings on 1080p is enough. Having a good firestrike score is way more importajt as long as my games play at 60 or more fps

Firestrike is meaningless

No, it's not. i5's perform significantly worse than i7's in CPU-heavy scenarios, which is exactly what Firestrike shows.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz