Cheap SDI monitor solution

Dredgy

Indeed, while reviews are great, especially if the person who does the reviews has experience and can point out honest "compare and contrast" pros and cons of Brand X vs Brand A, B, C.  And I see a lot of reviewers simply stating the features of a new product and saying how "great" the new shiny object is, but it seems as if they've said the same thing for all the past product reviews.

For some products, sample works and reviews are not enough, you want to get an idea of how it all fits, how it is used/works before you make the leap and make a charge on your bank account.

especially how a lot if high end equipment is very rarely covered, sometimes I am just like "what the hell is that" or "how does that even work"

especially with camera stuff, its like fine it takes a nice images but what is it like to use

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Got this up and running and even got a beta of my LANC to tally converter working.

Put the camera outside to get some garden shots, with a 20m LANC cable and these monitors are really gorgeous. When they're fixed in place on a rack, color shift becomes a non-issue.

Ironically my pictures of the setup suck and of course show glare and distortions where there are none.

SjqZveXl.jpg

jR7Dqpdl.jpg

Nice setup, I will be getting one of these duo screens later on.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Nice setup, I will be getting one of these duo screens later on.

Really? Will you have a field case or be doing in-studio work? Would've thought you'd go for an on camera solution.

Really? Will you have a field case or be doing in-studio work? Would've thought you'd go for an on camera solution.

I already have an on camera monitor, a small one. I'm thinking about getting a live chroma keyer, so my distributor suggested a Blackmagic TV switcher and duo screens in a field case.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

@Dredgy how about an Atomos Shogun, a 7" 4k external recorder, which records on CFast, SSD or HDD

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143209-REG/atomos_atomshgbb1_shogun_4k_hdmi_12g_sdi_recorder.html

Will definitely get one of those down the line, when my Micro Studio Camera arrives. But for in-studio monitoring only my Smartview is for serving me very well at the moment, for a lot less money.

Will definitely get one of those down the line, when my Micro Studio Camera arrives. But for in-studio monitoring only my Smartview is for serving me very well at the moment, for a lot less money.

Sorry I read only the first page and gave up on reading, so I just blabbed what I wanted to say :P