EVGA 980 ACX cooler led mod (need help)

cloclo8003

I will order a new rig soon and I am planning to get an EVGA gpu (gtx 980) and I was wondering if it is possible and if it is easy to change the led to make it light up red instead of blue. I tried googling to see if anyone did it, and I didn't see anything related to what I was looking for.

Also, will this void my warranty? I heard EVGA has phenomenal support but I'm modding the cooler so I'm not sure.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

I will order a new rig soon and I am planning to get an EVGA gpu (gtx 980) and I was wondering if it is possible and if it is easy to change the led to make it light up red instead of blue. I tried googling to see if anyone did it, and I didn't see anything related to what I was looking for.

Also, will this void my warranty? I heard EVGA has phenomenal support but I'm modding the cooler so I'm not sure.

If you can get it off and taken apart you could simply add a red filter into place since they use white LED lights. 

• 2 months later...

Were you able to do this?

I want my led's red aswell.

If you can get it off and taken apart you could simply add a red filter into place since they use white LED lights. 

Are you able to pop out the led logo on these acx cooler's like you can on the reference design shrouds?

reference design you can just take out the whole led logo: http://i.imgur.com/anP4YQK.jpg

I have never owned a acx type evga gpu before and never seen inside one so i have no idea.

I looked for video's & pics that would let me see if the led logo can be pulled out like the reference design but no luck.

Are you able to pop out the led logo on these acx cooler's like you can on the reference design shrouds?

reference design you can just take out the whole led logo: http://i.imgur.com/anP4YQK.jpg

I have never owned a acx type evga gpu before and never seen inside one so i have no idea.

I looked for video's & pics that would let me see if the led logo can be pulled out like the reference design but no luck.

I can't find very indepth disassemble on the cooler and shroud on the card but it should be a lighting plate that has the white LED's from my understanding behind that sticker piece where you should be able to either add a filter to red or stain the plastic lettering to a red color.

EDIT: 

Here you see two cables on the cooler a 4 pin for the fans and 2 pin for the LED's so it should be able to come apart and be modded to have red lighting.

http://www.pcper.com/image/view/47795?return=node%2F61369

Edited by W-L

I can't find very indepth disassemble on the cooler and shroud on the card but it should be a lighting plate that has the white LED's from my understanding behind that sticker piece where you should be able to either add a filter to red or stain the plastic lettering to a red color.

EDIT: 

Here you see two cables on the cooler a 4 pin for the fans and 2 pin for the LED's so it should be able to come apart and be modded to have red lighting.

http://www.pcper.com/image/view/47795?return=node%2F61369

yeah i've seen those pictures but the main questions becomes: Can that led logo part be removed like the reference geforce gtx logo's can?

If you can't remove it then you can't do anything to it.

yeah i've seen those pictures but the main questions becomes: Can that led logo part be removed like the reference geforce gtx logo's can?

If you can't remove it then you can't do anything to it.

It should be removable since it's a panel that has LED lights in it. I highly doubt they would glue it into place or something that permanent.

It should be removable since it's a panel that has LED lights in it. I highly doubt they would glue it into place or something that permanent.

just took a peek , i can place a colored filter in the place of the old one on mine. its hard to do but it possible , but not easy 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

just took a peek , i can place a colored filter in the place of the old one on mine. its hard to do but it possible , but not easy 

Does the whole led logo come apart?