Getting a Titan X back from 980ti RMA?

Brendan

Is this supposed to happen?

Nope. Contact them again unless you actually want the Titan X lmao

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Cool..  Yah sometimes they dont have stock of a certain gpu and they cant downgrade you so they upgrade you.. Score..

If that has happened you can bet someone at the RMA department of the manufacturer of your card is getting fired. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Nope. Contact them again unless you actually want the Titan X lmao

No they actual do this when they don't have stock of a certain card on hand.

Is this supposed to happen?

I'd be happy you got a better card for free.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

EVGA was it?. apparently it's not unusual for them to give you an upgrade when you RMA (it has to be a legitimate one though, obviously).

You could profit off of this, and sell the Titan X and re-buy a 980 Ti, netting you a few hundred $.

Or keep it, of course.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

They'll probably contact you about the fact you've got somebody elses card in a few days.

EVGA was it?. apparently it's not unusual for them to give you an upgrade when you RMA (it has to be a legitimate one though, obviously).

YOu could profit off of this, and sell the titan X and rebuy a 980 Ti, netting you a few hundred $.

EVGA 980ti hybrid -> EVGA Titan X Hybrid

Dude that is an upgrade! KEEP IT ;)

I'd say you're the luckiest SOB on earth... <_<

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Ex-RMA handler here. This is not at all uncommon. They have no stock for an identical model and they can't downgrade a consumer customer. The last thing they'd ever want to do is rebate for it so here we are. The trick is, the retail price difference of the two doesn't mean anything. It's the manufacturing+shipping price difference that interests them. And it's surprisingly small. Easily countered by the expense of having to ship a unit in from some other stock and the amount of labor to do so. And of course, if the model is no longer in manufacturing, they can actually be out for good.

If you plan on selling the Titan X, note that you might not be able to promise a warranty for it. The warranty of this new card is tied to the original one, they got your name now and often the policy goes so that the warranty is only valid for the original owner. 

i can't believe I am saying this first... 

Pics or it didn't happen

Ex-RMA handler here. This is not at all uncommon. They have no stock for an identical model and they can't downgrade a consumer customer. The last thing they'd ever want to do is rebate for it so here we are. The trick is, the retail price difference of the two doesn't mean anything. It's the manufacturing+shipping price difference that interests them. And it's surprisingly small. Easily countered by the expense of having to ship a unit in from some other stock and the amount of labor to do so. And of course, if the model is no longer in manufacturing, they can actually be out for good.

If you plan on selling the Titan X, note that you might not be able to promise a warranty for it. The warranty of this new card is tied to the original one, they got your name now and often the policy goes so that the warranty is only valid for the original owner. 

Interesting, I knew that they got a higher-end card because they couldn't downgrade but I didn't know that giving them the better card is easier/cheaper than getting the same model from a different warehouse.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Gigabyte gave me a 290x after 2 290 failures. Warranty was tied to the old card as well, was not restarted.

Both rma's were surprisingly quick at 4 & 5 week returns.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I would be sad if i rma'd my aftermarket 980ti and got a stock titan X back. Then i would be happy and sell titan X and buy another 980ti

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D