How Well Would This Cool Without Fans?

byalexandr

3ghetto5me

Not as ghetto as the zip ties that NCIX used. I think this could look very nice, especially if I take my time and make it look professional. Then I'd have a 290 Hybrid LOL. Take that EVGA!

Nah man it's about 1 stone of heat pipes required.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Even a passively cooled kepler (680) needs a heatsink as big as this: 

Colorful-680-1.jpg

That Morpheus is tiny. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28H1378&cm_re=morpheus-_-9SIA66Z28H1378-_-Product

People mention that this is a pretty beastly cooler, and I am looking to buy it for my 290. The thing is, it's already massive without the fans, so I just wanted to know if anyone has this cooler on their 290 and was wondering if they could tell me what it runs like without the fans installed. I know it's a dumb idea, it's just a question that I wanted answered. Please don't get mad and tell me I'm stupid for trying to passively cool a 290. Also, would this cooler fit in an NCase M1 with slim 120mm fans? Anyone know? Help me out here, thanks!

The finns are way to. close stacked for passive cooling.

You need fans for sure. And take care that you have at least 20 mm free space to a (mon-meched) wall of the case, otherwise thr fans will be more or less useless.

Two or even three slim 120mm should be fine for cooling.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

HELL NO.

Your going to need like 12 kilos of heatpipe to cool a 290 passively..

That is somehow funny because I actually use a 12kg heat sink (but no heat pipes at all) to cool my GTX980.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

That is somehow funny because I actually use a 12kg heat sink (but no heat pipes at all) to cool my GTX980.

I actually took the number from your build :DD. I meant heatsink. But now I'm thinking if heat pipes would dissipate better..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I actually took the number from your build :DD. I meant heatsink. But now I'm thinking if heat pipes would dissipate better..

Haha ok :)

Heat pipes are very good in transporting heat, but quite bad to dump it into the air. Also they are super expensivex so a "normal" heat sink makes much more sense.

Haha ok :)

Heat pipes are very good in transporting heat, but quite bad to dump it into the air. Also they are super expensivex so a "normal" heat sink makes much more sense.

Where did you get those massive heatsinks in your build logs? They look quite interesting, not sure if I could do the same with my 290. I think I'm going to use either some zip ties or some machine screws and liquid cool my 290 with either my Seidon 120V or my dad's Seidon 120M.

Where did you get those massive heatsinks in your build logs? They look quite interesting, not sure if I could do the same with my 290. I think I'm going to use either some zip ties or some machine screws and liquid cool my 290 with either my Seidon 120V or my dad's Seidon 120M.

It is possible to cool it passive, but the power density is a bit high. And you won't fit the heat sink in your case, you you have to build a custom one. Still interested? ;)

I requested a lot of quotes for my heat sinks. The once I got here in switzerland where about 500 to 1000 (!) Euro per single heat sink. So I was forced to search elsewhere. I ended up with Gama Aluminium: http://www.gamaaluminium.sk/en/

You can see the English and Slovakian product catalog here: http://www.gamaaluminium.sk/download/katalog_2015_web.pdf

Somehow I can't open the catalog on the web page when the language is set to english. But the catalog is also in english on the Slovakian language setting. They cut a custom length of the heat sinks for you. Here is the quote I got:

KX 300, L=400mm (no surface): 98,68 EUR/PC (MOQ 3 PCS)

KX 300, L=400mm (black anodized): 115,35 EUR/PC (MOQ 3PCS)

HY 25345, L=400mm (black anodized): 13,40 EUR/PC

Shipping was an additional 90 Euro for the 36kg paket through three countries. And 8% tax.

Yea I use the metric system as much as I can but saying that 23 degrees is comfortable makes no sense, where as 74 degrees does. The metric system is miles better than the Imperial system, 0C (32F) is freezing and 100C (212F) is boiling makes loads more sense, but somehow 40C is the same as 40F like wat??

Furthermore, your prefixes make more sense, kilo = 1000x, mega = 1000000x, ceti = 1/100, milli = 1/1000, etc. Meanwhile, 1 foot = 12 inches and 1 mile is like 5200 feet (not sure) (nvm 5280) like that makes no sense lol

Given the Brits ditched their own system, I think America should too

you have it slightly wrong friend.

It goes like this

1 nanoX = 0.000 000 001X

1 microX = 0.000 001X

1 miliX = 0.001X

1X=1X

1 kiloX = 1 000X

1 megaX = 1 000 000X

1 gigaX = 1 000 0000 000X

Centimeter, decimeter and other such are extras that aren't used in theoretical Physics.

As for temperatures - the true 0 degrees is actually 0*K or 0 degrees Kelvin - I think it was -273*C(not sure).

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you have it slightly wrong friend.

It goes like this

1 nanoX = 0.000 000 001X

1 microX = 0.000 001X

1 miliX = 0.001X

1X=1X

1 kiloX = 1 000X

1 megaX = 1 000 000X

1 gigaX = 1 000 0000 000X

Centimeter, decimeter and other such are extras that aren't used in theoretical Physics.

As for temperatures - the true 0 degrees is actually 0*K or 0 degrees Kelvin - I think it was -273*C(not sure).

lol wot that's what I said, 1/1000 is the same as 0.001 topkek

ik I didn't put them in order but wotever

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

lol wot that's what I said, 1/1000 is the same as 0.001 topkek

ik I didn't put them in order but wotever

I was correcting the centi/dici part being widely used. It's only seen in distance measuring really.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I was correcting the centi/dici part being widely used. It's only seen in distance measuring really.

Oh yea right yea ik lol but they're both still prefixes so you can still technically say cetiliter, it's not really wrong per sé

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

3ghetto5me

Well, I tried it. It looked like it was going good, but I realized I was going to have to use zip ties like NCIX did, so I did. Well that coupled with the fact that I used way too much thermal paste was big problem. I think the pump wasn't plugged in or running fast enough or something, because the card got progressively louder (since I still have the blower on there) and then the screen shut off. I shut that thing down and yanked it out of the system. I am yet to put it back in, I removed the cooler and I am going to make a proper bracket and apply a minimal amount of thermal paste, but so far I have modified the cooler okay besides that. I kind of want to put it back in my system with the cooler just to make sure it's not fucked up (which I know it isn't), but I don't want to put zip ties on my precious 290 ever again. I would post pics but my phone is pretty retarded right now.

Edit: I'm using the onboard graphics right now, oh well. Any idea how to clean thermal paste in between those tiny little transistor thingys?

Edit 2: Now I'm starting to think the zip ties didn't provide enough mounting pressure, I don't know how people get it to work but mine was quite the opposite. I have to find some spare metal to make a bracket now.

Edit 3: Now I know for a fact it was the zip ties. The block is slightly bigger than the mounting holes so tightening the zip ties just moved it further from the die. I think I will swap out my dad's cooler and see if his pump/block is any different. I'm sure he won't mind, my Seidon 120V performs better anyways.

Good news! I swapped out the coolers and my dad's (which I am now calling mine since I gave him my other one) has the PERFECT mounting holes! Like exactly on! So now I just need to dorp by Home Despot and pick up some longer screws (with the same threads) and I'll be golden! Plus teh block is slightly smaller so it won't interfere as much! Yay!