R9 390 vs. 390x?

Hydrogen1803

It also assumes that the 390 is an HBM card. Like I said, it looks like it was a placeholder that was never removed from before the 300 series announcement launch. I have no idea why the fuck it continues to exist. 

It won't even hit 40 with all the bells and whistles, but that's besides the point.

But with the reasonable bells and whistles you can expect 50-60 FPS yes.

Lol, didn't notice the HBM. Definatly a place holder. Looks awesome tho, they should have released it.

Lol, didn't notice the HBM. Definatly a place holder. Looks awesome tho, they should have released it.

They probably didn't want a repeat of the failure that was the 290 series reference cards. 

We don't even know if AMD actually improved the coolers (not that they could make them much worse lol).

pcpartpicker.com doesn't even have a single 390/390x blower style version up.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It also assumes that the 390 is an HBM card. Like I said, it looks like it was a placeholder that was never removed from before the 300 series announcement launch. I have no idea why the fuck it continues to exist. BTW the 300 series announcement uses those coolers, but then they proceeded to not ever use them again or show them on their website, so I have to assume they decided selling them wasn't a good idea. 

It won't even hit 40 with all the bells and whistles, but that's besides the point.

But with the reasonable bells and whistles you can expect 50-60 FPS yes.

LOL, eat a Snickers my friend. It's all good. I hope you can understand how confusing it is here. You say system requirements aren't close to high enough. When someone questions if their PC will run a game the vast majority of post say how system requirements are wildly exaggerated. I understand the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle, but still. It's hard to tell who's serious,

If anyone asks you never saw me.

LOL, eat a Snickers my friend. It's all good. I hope you can understand how confusing it is here. You say system requirements aren't close to high enough. When someone questions if their PC will run a game the vast majority of post say how system requirements are wildly exaggerated. I understand the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle, but still. It's hard to tell who's serious,

It would depend on the game. Many if not most recommended settings assume 30 fps not 60fps. (this was a huge deal with a few recent titles that the Devs got shat on for confirming).

Also recommended settings rarely correspond to true max settings (but more often high).

The real issue with recommending settings is they are based off of a non-released settings list with non-released end result in mind. They also assume the current state of the game internally (when recommended settings are given out) which is often so ridiculously broken that driver patches (aka bug fixed for lazy devs) can make a huge difference.

Also recommended settings get politicized as well, if the game refused to recommend a particular brands GPU or CPU (as oculus did with AMD for cpu's), then graphics card makers claim bias against them and get all pissy. (plus it looks bad when recommended settings are high, just like how AMD and Nvidia keep calling GPU's 4k capable when they are no where close.)

I would just say recommended settings are worthless and testing the game will actually yield the most accurate expected performance (DUH).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I would just say recommended settings are worthless and testing the game will actually yield the most accurate expected performance (DUH).

As a brand spanking new member of the PC master race whose decoder ring isn't even broke in yet, this is pure win. Why they don't ditch the recommended system requirements for benchmarking tools I'll never understand. I don't want to be worrying about settings while gaming, I want to enjoy the game I just bought. I'd honestly have bought GTA V if they offered a benchmarking tool verses vague system requirements.

As a brand spanking new member of the PC master race whose decoder ring isn't even broke in yet, this is pure win. Why they don't ditch the recommended system requirements for benchmarking tools I'll never understand. I don't want to be worrying about settings while gaming, I want to enjoy the game I just bought. I'd honestly have bought GTA V if they offered a benchmarking tool verses vague system requirements.

Reviews of the game itself on launch day should give you a good idea of what settings you will want to dial in (as the game can only get easier to run).

Plus while they are not perfect (or really anything more than OK), nvidia gpu's have this automated optimizer from GeForce Experience that will mod your settings to what they think will give you the best performance specific to your Nvidia gpu. This is generally where I start before adjusting settings, but I do always prefer games with benchmarks built in. (obviously that doesn't help people with AMD gpu's but hey what can you do.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

What have I started? 

get the R9 390 unless you own a Gsync monitor or can afford a 980 or 980ti man.

the 390X is not worth this price, and the GTX 970 is indeed a bit weaker than the R9 390, if you really like nvidia features more than a few extra FPS here and there you could still go with the 970 it's also more energy efficient and run cooler/quieter, but the R9 390 seem like a slightly stronger card at this point. (+/- 4%)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The 290x is as cheap right now as it will ever be, might be a generation behind but you can't beat the fps/dollar. I almost tried to sell a kidney for this thing to Xfire with my 290, until I saw the x. I only paid 30us less for my vapor...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202089&cm_re=290x-_-14-202-089-_-Product

The 290x is as cheap right now as it will ever be, might be a generation behind but you can't beat the fps/dollar. I almost tried to sell a kidney for this thing to Xfire with my 290, until I saw the x. I only paid 30us less for my vapor...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202089&cm_re=290x-_-14-202-089-_-Product

Just letting you know... You can CF 290x with 290.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just letting you know... You can CF 290x with 290.

I thought that the lowest card dictated the strength of the xfire? Wouldn't my 290 hold the 290x back, or would it not matter?

I thought that the lowest card dictated the strength of the xfire? Wouldn't my 290 hold the 290x back, or would it not matter?

It really won't matter. You can overclock the 290 a little bit more to make them match. It's minor differences between them anyways.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

It really won't matter. You can overclock the 290 a little bit more to make them match. It's minor differences between them anyways.

OMG man our rigs  have a lot of parts in common...What a surprise

CPU:Intel Core i7-5930K @4.5GGPU: 2 of MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G Graphics Card crossfire   Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99    Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz  SSD:2 of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB WatercoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX  CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T   PSU: EVGA 1000 P2  80+platinum  Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB black Monitor: LG277MU67 4K IPS FREESYNC

OMG man our rigs  have a lot of parts in common...What a surprise

How so? Different CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD/COOLING/CASE/PSU/MOUSE/MATT/MONITOR....

The only things we share is generic 6 core, generic 32 gb ram, mobo, k70 (but not lighting).

But lol.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

How so? Different CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD/COOLING/CASE/PSU/MOUSE/MATT/MONITOR....

The only things we share is generic 6 core, generic 32 gb ram, mobo, k70 (but not lighting).

But lol.

Yeah...That's true...maybe about the same in performance...? I guess

CPU:Intel Core i7-5930K @4.5GGPU: 2 of MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G Graphics Card crossfire   Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99    Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz  SSD:2 of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB WatercoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX  CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T   PSU: EVGA 1000 P2  80+platinum  Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB black Monitor: LG277MU67 4K IPS FREESYNC