A little help getting into the game.

Dubesta11

I'm not sure if this is the right thing to post, but I would like a little help getting into the game with a few questions:

1. Is the game active right now (online) and playable?

2. How easy is it to get better ships ingame?

3. What would be a good starter ship, if thats a thing? (or just upgrade ingame)

4. Is the LTT clan active, and generally when are they active?

I really want to start playing this game but would like a little more information before I purchase anything. Thanks!

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

try to say what game u talking about first

I posted in the proper subforum lol

okay im a faggot didnt read lol

:P

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

okay im a faggot didnt read lol

I went down the same path and thus like both posts lol.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

The game at the moment only has a few modules out and the alpha universe isnt active yet. the LTT guys are pretty active we have weekly meetups. you cant actually get new ships in game with in game credits unless you are looking to rent them for testing purposes. I would definitely go on the website and just read for a while as this is one of those games where its good to be informed before you start up. what you CAN do is get the base package with an arena commander pass which gives you the full game eventually, the ability to play in the dog fighting module and a starter ship. i Believe the cheapest one is around 35 dollars american. keep in mind looking at the prices of other ships, don't look at them like thats the price of the ship, look at them as "this is a pledge to get the game funded and they are giving me a ship to play around with while I wait"

1. the game is on and active, but as of now only the social module (where you run around in a decently sized map and talk to people) and dogfighting module (where you fly around and blow s**t up) is released. 

2. The persistent universe is still in very early alpha, and anything can change at this point, but we're pretty sure most of the ships will be easily obtainable in game (they might be hidden behind some kind of achievement or military involvement or something)

3. All ships are decent, and have their own roles with their own price tags. Choose whichever fits your need. (You can also start with the cheapest one and upgrade before the game comes out if you don't like it. 

4. The "Organization" (The 'correct' term) is very active and have an irc/voip program thing up, plenty of people active in there. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/464412-star-citizen-help-us-test-the-uoltt-discord-server/

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

The game at the moment only has a few modules out and the alpha universe isnt active yet. the LTT guys are pretty active we have weekly meetups. you cant actually get new ships in game with in game credits unless you are looking to rent them for testing purposes. I would definitely go on the website and just read for a while as this is one of those games where its good to be informed before you start up. what you CAN do is get the base package with an arena commander pass which gives you the full game eventually, the ability to play in the dog fighting module and a starter ship. i Believe the cheapest one is around 35 dollars american. keep in mind looking at the prices of other ships, don't look at them like thats the price of the ship, look at them as "this is a pledge to get the game funded and they are giving me a ship to play around with while I wait"

I understand how the crowdfunding works and I will be willing to support it.

1. the game is on and active, but as of now only the social module (where you run around in a decently sized map and talk to people) and dogfighting module (where you fly around and blow s**t up) is released. 

2. The persistent universe is still in very early alpha, and anything can change at this point, but we're pretty sure most of the ships will be easily obtainable in game (they might be hidden behind some kind of achievement or military involvement or something)

3. All ships are decent, and have their own roles with their own price tags. Choose whichever fits your need. (You can also start with the cheapest one and upgrade before the game comes out if you don't like it. 

4. The "Organization" (The 'correct' term) is very active and have an irc/voip program thing up, plenty of people active in there. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/464412-star-citizen-help-us-test-the-uoltt-discord-server/

Is there a better way that I can research the starter ships? I would be willing to spend around $70 to support the game.

The Grey Squirrel

Is there a better way that I can research the starter ships? I would be willing to spend around $70 to support the game.

There are many "reviews" of current ships, including lots of "opinion" posts in this very subForum. Under the official webpage there is also a rough "ship spec" type thingy that gives you a rough idea of its capabilities in terms of cargo, crews, number of hardpoints (weapon mounts) etc. There's also the Big SCAM (Star Citizen Admirer's Manual), which is a hundred page manual on the RSI forums. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

heres some general suggestions: 325a is a fast well equipped combat variant of a luxury ship. its comfortable and generally okay to handle and has a powerful loadoat if you are looking for more of a marksman role, the fire rate on its guns is low but strong, and it comes with 4 size 2 missiles. (the largest weapons we have in the game right now are size 4 and they only go on much larger ships) if you take the gimbal mount off the front you can rent and mount a mantis chaingun which is one of the most powerful guns in the game right now.

the Avenger is a tanky, fast and powerful ship with a good loadout and great shields. it comes with a size 3 nose gun you cant remove but packs a punch and is rapid fire, and 2 size 1 laser repeaters on the wings (you can upgrade these to size 2's though) it can take a lot of hits and deal out a lot of damage and its hards to hit. its one major weakness is the glare when you get hit by the sun at the right angle.

The Aurora LN is the most powerful of the aurora line with all the bells and whistles. its got 4 gun hardpoints and 4 missiles. its strong for an aurora but like all the others is slow and doesnt take an amazing amount of hits. but it is hard to hit if you can make sure you keep your skinny side to your opponent.

the Mustang Lineup isnt really a great option right now because the shields are bugged and the cockpit gets killed in 1 hit if somebody gets you there.

the 300i is like the 325 but cheaper and less of a loadout but you can still add rented weapons on to it.

Hope that helps.

I believe the best way to research the ships is to go in the Game Packages area of the store, sort everything by price, and read all there is to the ships that are within your budget. Then, if you have any questions, you can ask around here. There are many helpful people. I'd suggest you to look at either the Origin Jumpworks 325A or the Aegis Dynamics Avenger.

heres some general suggestions: 325a is a fast well equipped combat variant of a luxury ship. its comfortable and generally okay to handle and has a powerful loadoat if you are looking for more of a marksman role, the fire rate on its guns is low but strong, and it comes with 4 size 2 missiles. (the largest weapons we have in the game right now are size 4 and they only go on much larger ships) if you take the gimbal mount off the front you can rent and mount a mantis chaingun which is one of the most powerful guns in the game right now.

the Avenger is a tanky, fast and powerful ship with a good loadout and great shields. it comes with a size 3 nose gun you cant remove but packs a punch and is rapid fire, and 2 size 1 laser repeaters on the wings (you can upgrade these to size 2's though) it can take a lot of hits and deal out a lot of damage and its hards to hit. its one major weakness is the glare when you get hit by the sun at the right angle.

The Aurora LN is the most powerful of the aurora line with all the bells and whistles. its got 4 gun hardpoints and 4 missiles. its strong for an aurora but like all the others is slow and doesnt take an amazing amount of hits. but it is hard to hit if you can make sure you keep your skinny side to your opponent.

the Mustang Lineup isnt really a great option right now because the shields are bugged and the cockpit gets killed in 1 hit if somebody gets you there.

the 300i is like the 325 but cheaper and less of a loadout but you can still add rented weapons on to it.

Hope that helps.

I believe the best way to research the ships is to go in the Game Packages area of the store, sort everything by price, and read all there is to the ships that are within your budget. Then, if you have any questions, you can ask around here. There are many helpful people. I'd suggest you to look at either the Origin Jumpworks 325A or the Aegis Dynamics Avenger.

Before I look more into the ships, would I have to purchase an arena pass separably if I don't get the cheaper starter packs?

The Grey Squirrel

Before I look more into the ships, would I have to purchase an arena pass separably if I don't get the cheaper starter packs?

As of this (or last) week all the passes have been done away with. You don't need to buy any separate passes for any of the modules anymore. Now, any package will include full access to the game and everything that is coming out before it (Arena Commander and Social Module as of now)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

So It looks like the Avenger is a good ship, with plenty of cargo space and fighting capabilities. Any opposition to this?

The Grey Squirrel

So It looks like the Avenger is a good ship, with plenty of cargo space and fighting capabilities. Any opposition to this?

Avenger's nice, quite versatile. Comes with a couple of holding cells in the cargospace too.

It's seen as the police cruiser in the 'Verse.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Avenger's nice, quite versatile. Comes with a couple of holding cells in the cargospace too.

It's seen as the police cruiser in the 'Verse.

Alright, I will start out with that and go from there. Thanks!

The Grey Squirrel

Alright, I will start out with that and go from there. Thanks!

If you decide on joining the Org, we can help you out in learning to fly well since there is a slight learning curve :) 

If you decide on joining the Org, we can help you out in learning to fly well since there is a slight learning curve :)

I just applied, hopefully I can get in and learn a bunch from you guys.

The Grey Squirrel

nope avenger is a great ship. its my best and the one ive been given my squadron command for

I just applied, hopefully I can get in and learn a bunch from you guys.

Totally man, join up with us and we can kick some ass :D 

and basically the only ship I can't fly or hit anything in :P.

nope avenger is a great ship. its my best and the one ive been given my squadron command for

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

and basically the only ship I can't fly or hit anything in :P.

its strange because the gladius isnt that different

We are currently in the process of trying to get some more measurable stats for grading the ships. We have the "Top Gear" Challenge at the moment were we are trying to get as many people as possible to try all the ships in the wave survival (Vanduul Swarm) and see how far they get so they can be compared against everyone else's data.

Also not sure if anyone else said this but there is currently a free fly code so that you can try out all of the currently flyable ships in the game. You can try that here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/citizencon2k15 and enter the code CITCONFLIGHT2K15

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

We are currently in the process of trying to get some more measurable stats for grading the ships. We have the "Top Gear" Challenge at the moment were we are trying to get as many people as possible to try all the ships in the wave survival (Vanduul Swarm) and see how far they get so they can be compared against everyone else's data.

Also not sure if anyone else said this but there is currently a free fly code so that you can try out all of the currently flyable ships in the game. You can try that here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/citizencon2k15 and enter the code CITCONFLIGHT2K15

Alright cool. Do you know anything about a massive performance hit? I am running a decent system and it still runs like hell (sub 30fps) on low settings. I know its still on construction, but is everyone else experiencing this?

The Grey Squirrel

Alright cool. Do you know anything about a massive performance hit? I am running a decent system and it still runs like hell (sub 30fps) on low settings. I know its still on construction, but is everyone else experiencing this?

If you are getting 30 FPS in the hangar, it is probably due to an issue with vsync being on by default - you can disable vsync by bringing up the in-game console "~" and entering "r_vsync 0" (without the parentheses) , this should uncap your FPS.

The game will still be choppy in full matches (10 people and up), due to a current CPU bottleneck issue that is expected to be somewhat alleviated with the upcoming 1.3 patch, but otherwise your machine should be more than sufficient to run the game at a cozy 60+. 

Keep in mind that this is still Alpha, not a finished product in any way. Bugs and performance issues pop up every day, some go away, others replace them and so on. :)

If you need help with the game, or someone to fly with, feel free to join our Discord server. The UOLTT org is multinational so there is always someone online. :)

More Discord info can be found here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/464412-star-citizen-help-us-test-the-uoltt-discord-server/