Unlocking EVGA GTX 970 Voltage?

Is there any way to unlock the voltage on the gtx 970? I assume it would be something like tweaking the BIOS or something like that but I dont really know much about this since this is my first proper gpu. Thanks.

Don't do stupid shit when you don't know what you're doing :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Don't do stupid shit when you don't know what you're doing :P

That is exactly the reason why I am asking.

That is exactly the reason why I am asking.

And I'm telling you don't do it - you might brick the card.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

There is no point in unlocking the voltage on aircooling(which I assume you are using). Voltage often doesn't improve overclocking at all on Maxwell cards with the exception of sub zero cooling.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

all you have to do is put the card in a bucket of ice, and it will stay super cool!

There is no point in unlocking the voltage on aircooling(which I assume you are using). Voltage often doesn't improve overclocking at all on Maxwell cards with the exception of sub zero cooling.

Then I am doing something wrong when overclocking because my benchmarks seemed stable but then in game its not and the overclock I am getting is not so big.

Then I am doing something wrong when overclocking because my benchmarks seemed stable but then in game its not and the overclock I am getting is not so big.

Post a screenshot of GPUz sensors tab while you're running a stress test.  Do Firestrike Ultra...that'll stress your card(s).  Dial in the overclock you're using and let's see what perf cap reason you're getting.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Post a screenshot of GPUz sensors tab while you're running a stress test.  Do Firestrike Ultra...that'll stress your card(s).  Dial in the overclock you're using and let's see what perf cap reason you're getting.

Thanks, I will post all that tomorrow.

There is on cards such as the lower end EVGA 970s where they are voltage locked to below nvidia spec (1.2v instead of 1.212v) so ASIC quality is a huge deal for your boost clocks and oc potential. 

Most of the lower end EVGA 970 cards have pretty high overclocks out of the box so you're pretty much within 50-100mhz of your max clock speed anyways. I'd just overclock the memory and call it a day because the slight core clock overclock that you're gonna get is gonna be negligible. 

You can modify your bios and give it more voltage. I gave mine a little more power and upped the voltage to 1.212v but it didn't really help much as you're limited by the 2 six pin and supposedly crummy 4 phase power (according to reddit) that can't even handle the full 225w that the 2 six pin supplies. I gave mine 200w just to be safe. 

There is on cards such as the lower end EVGA 970s where they are voltage locked to below nvidia spec (1.2v instead of 1.212v) so ASIC quality is a huge deal for your boost clocks and oc potential. 

Most of the lower end EVGA 970 cards have pretty high overclocks out of the box so you're pretty much within 50-100mhz of your max clock speed anyways. I'd just overclock the memory and call it a day because the slight core clock overclock that you're gonna get is gonna be negligible. 

You can modify your bios and give it more voltage. I gave mine a little more power and upped the voltage to 1.212v but it didn't really help much as you're limited by the 2 six pin and supposedly crummy 4 phase power (according to reddit) that can't even handle the full 225w that the 2 six pin supplies. I gave mine 200w just to be safe. 

My EVGA FTW runs 1610 in SLI runs on Firestrike and Valley, and 1615 in Heaven and it has 2 x 6pins and the crummy 4+1 power phase.  They're pulling right at 290 watts each card for FS Ultra stress test loops.  Your reddit source, was wrong...../wink

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Is there any way to unlock the voltage on the gtx 970? I assume it would be something like tweaking the BIOS or something like that but I dont really know much about this since this is my first proper gpu. Thanks.

Which EVGA 970 do you have? The 4+1 cards usually overclock like crap, based on my experience and what people have said on the EVGA boards. My 2974-KR can only get a 50 MHz boost on the core over the factory settings but with a fan blowing across the top of the card from a couple inches away I can get the memory to +400 MHz.

Which EVGA 970 do you have? The 4+1 cards usually overclock like crap, based on my experience and what people have said on the EVGA boards. My 2974-KR can only get a 50 MHz boost on the core over the factory settings but with a fan blowing across the top of the card from a couple inches away I can get the memory to +400 MHz.

That's what, around 1360?  1400?  You just got unlucky....

I asked around on the EVGA forum and that's pretty consistent for 2974-KRs. Pretty much everyone with the SSCs can hit 1500 MHz, but the 2974-KRs seem to overclock like crap most of the time. The highest boost clock I can stably get with GPU Boost is 1418 MHz, which I get setting my core clock to 1216 MHz base, 1367 MHz boost (the FTW stock clocks). Nothing higher is stable.

I asked around on the EVGA forum and that's pretty consistent for 2974-KRs. Pretty much everyone with the SSCs can hit 1500 MHz, but the 2974-KRs seem to overclock like crap most of the time. The highest boost clock I can stably get with GPU Boost is 1418 MHz, which I get setting my core clock to 1216 MHz base, 1367 MHz boost (the FTW stock clocks). Nothing higher is stable.

What's the ASIC quality of your card?  And, what voltage is it boosting to at peak?

Here...open up Precision X, enable KBoost and tell me what the clock and voltage readings are.

I also have a 2974. I can only hit 1430mhz boost or so but my memory ocs pretty well, can hit about +400mhz as well. 

Nah, the 970 sc acx2 doesn't have much oc potential and it's locked to 1.2v.

We basically have the same card lol. i have an asic of 70.7%

What's the ASIC quality of your card?  And, what voltage is it boosting to at peak?

Here...open up Precision X, enable KBoost and tell me what the clock and voltage readings are.

The 2974 is voltage locked. The +37mV that you can add in AB and precision don't do anything at all. 

The ASIC is 69.8%. Voltage bumps seem to do nothing for stability in my card. I get the exact same overclock whether I'm at stock voltage or the max +37 mV that MSI Afterburner allows. What is K-Boost?

I also have a 2974. I can only hit 1430mhz boost or so but my memory ocs pretty well, can hit about +400mhz as well. 

Nah, the 970 sc acx2 doesn't have much oc potential and it's locked to 1.2v.

We basically have the same card lol. i have an asic of 70.7%

The 2974 is voltage locked. The +37mV that you can add in AB and precision don't do anything at all. 

I have an ACX 2.0 card, and am running 1.275v.  I've created custom bios roms for guys with SC and SSC models, and they are also running 1.275v.  Not sure where you're getting that info, but....it's really not accurate.

LOL, no wonder it doesn't do shit for my overclock.  :lol:

Damn I should have bought the MSI Gaming or Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

I have an ACX 2.0 card, and am running 1.275v.  I've created custom bios roms for guys with SC and SSC models, and they are also running 1.275v.  Not sure where you're getting that info, but....it's really not accurate.

I'm not going to change the BIOS and void the warranty since I don't have dual BIOS like the FTW does.

ACX 2.0

cX86aYR.jpg

I'm not going to change the BIOS and void the warranty since I don't have dual BIOS like the FTW does.

Shouldn't have to.  Just add some voltage with the slider.  You should be able to get 1.256v with the stock bios.  But you're limited by the 187 watt power limit.  That's what's going to get you before anything else.

Shouldn't have to.  Just add some voltage with the slider.  You should be able to get 1.256v with the stock bios.  But you're limited by the 187 watt power limit.  That's what's going to get you before anything else.

The Perf Cap listed in GPU-Z is sometimes power target, but most often voltage quality. With KBoost on I'm at 1.212V.

7ef922addb.jpg

bda6947335.jpg

Where am I getting this info? I own the card. 

I've done bios files for the SC, and they're not locked at the VRM.  They can go higher.  I wonder if that's an early bios version.  When did you buy that card?

EDIT:  i just checked with the guys that I did their bios for.  Their cards are the SC+, 2978.  I wonder why EVGA would limit the SC to 1.212v in the bios?  I don't get it.....ASUS did the same thing with the STRIX.  What a waste.....