Help me pick a quad monitor GPU

mannyace
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some help picking out a graphics card that will drive 4 monitors.

My computer is a digital audio workstation (DAW) running Windows 7, Pro Tools HD, and other audio stuff in my home studio. Quiet operation is the most important thing and I'd prefer to get all 4 monitors running off of a single card and not relying on the iGPU. The computer stays on all the time so something that can take the mileage (hours) will be needed.

I've been looking at the Gigabyte GTX 900 cards with 2x Windforce and Flex Display. I've also looked at the Nvidia Quadro's but I can't find reviews of those and have no idea if they are quiet or have good drivers. I've thought about getting passively cooled cards but then I don't know how dealing with multiple cards works and I'd have to buy more case fans. I think it'll be easier to install one thing and just have it work. I also prefer Nvidia to AMD/ATI as well.

My budget is $350 max, including any adapters I might need, although the cheaper, the better. I'm all set with cabling.

I've got:

- 2x wall mounted Samsung 55" TV's (1080P, HDMI)

- 2x rack mounted Dell P1911's (1440 x 900, DVI) - This might become 1080p some day so I'd like to support that

- Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit

- ASUS Z97 PRO Wi-Fi

- Intel Core i7 4790k

- 16 GB DDR3 RAM 

- Corsair RM650 - I'm fuzzy on the extra power that GPUs need sometimes

- Fractal Design R5 with front drive cages in use - So a max of 310 mm of length

- No expansion cards currently installed - So lots of room otherwise

I don't care about gaming, 3D/CAD, 4K, overclocking, etc. I occasionally edit video but in Sony Vegas but it's just basic timeline editing/splicing so there's some basic visuals when uploading music to YouTube for example. I've been able to do that before without ever spending any major money on a graphics card so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd prefer something with minimal software overhead as I don't care about or want anything extra running in the background. I will use the computer to stream HD or watch Blu-Rays but I'm betting any card we discuss will be able to do that.

Thanks,

Manny

If you just need the GPU for displaying 4 monitors get a GTX 950 as they support 4 monitors and are cheap.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

i would look into the gtx 950 model. i'd go with an evga card. this one is great and is the top of the line at evga:

EVGA 02G-P4-2958-KR

edit:

at the time of this post, the card above costs 174.99 USD (it has a nice backplate as well)

edit:

you'll be able to overclock it quite well. check out my gpu overclocking guide for more details; link in my forum signature

BigDay

You don't need a discrete graphics card to run more than 3 monitors.

That's a good idea but I'd imagine it'd put quite a bit of stress on the onboard GPU.

A GTX 950 will suffice 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Wow, you guys are fast!

That video is cool, but my audio stuff is USB based and I don't want to have any conflicts. The displays are also about 35 feet away from the PC so that would be pushing USB to its extremes. I also wouldn't want any CPU (or iGPU) overhead to drive the monitors. That's why I'd rather pony up the money and buy an actual GPU.

Thanks for the GTX 950 recommendations. I'll start looking there. Are the reference designs the way to go or do other companies (EVGA, Gigabyte, etc.) make their GTX 950s quieter? Who's got the most quiet one of all?

Thanks again,
Manny

R9 380 - it's a lot better in Sony Vegas than anything Nvidia have to offer.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

GTX 950 is good enough for ur usage.

From what i've experienced, the MSI's 950 seems to be the most efficient interms of noise output and heat management. I live in Thailand and its basically summer the whole year, MSI GTX950 was able to keep the heat below 70c during extreme stress test (full load). It cost a bit more than other brand though..

I'm avoiding AMD/ATI because I've had bad luck in the past with Catalyst Control Center. I'd rather not mess with it.

I was looking into MSI. It does appear to be the quietest of the bunch. Glad to hear it's working for you. Can you use it without installing MSI's software (Afterburner and Gaming App?)

Thanks,

Manny

I'm avoiding AMD/ATI because I've had bad luck in the past with Catalyst Control Center. I'd rather not mess with it.

I was looking into MSI. It does appear to be the quietest of the bunch. Glad to hear it's working for you. Can you use it without installing MSI's software (Afterburner and Gaming App?)

Thanks,

Manny

AMD are literally twice as fast with Sony Vegas, though. It favors OpenCL heavily and Nvidia can't compete. A 970 in SV can barely keep up with a 380.

The driver horror stories from 2008-2009 are long over.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I use Vegas maybe once a month if you averaged it out but I'll still take a look. Who makes the quietest R9 380?

More importantly, why does the AMD website 3 max monitors, but then 4 if you use DisplayPort? Is it DisplayPort daisy chaining? I don't have any DP monitors so that wouldn't work if it were the case.

Thanks,

Manny