EVGA makes dual BIOS graphic cards

GoodBytes

Good news everyone. Exciting as well.

So you've got Windows 8, and a motherboard that fully support UEFI. You want to take advantage of fast boot feature, but you can't really, because your graphic card doesn't support GOP. Well instead of breaking your head of hopping your graphic card manufcature have a vBIOS (firmware) upgrade for your graphic card to make it GOP ready, at the cost of making it no longer bootable on a old BIOS system. Let alone considering the chances of bricking your graphic card. Not very fun experience.

EVGA is now introducing a dual vBIOS graphic cards where it has 2 or 3 chips. So you can have one upgraded to make it GOP ready for UEFI systems, and the second for the old BIOS.

Another purpose, is to if you tweak the vBIOS for overclocking, you can switch between 2 of them.

The affected  graphic card with this new feature are the new GeForce 700 series.

The way you switch between them, is as simple as switching a switch... as well it's a switch:

Switch Style 1:

780_Large2.jpg

Switch Style 2:

770_Large2.jpg

Here is the list of graphic card that will have the switch:

dualVBios.PNG

Source: http://www.evga.com/articles/00767/

Good news everyone. Exciting as well.

So you've got Windows 8, and a motherboard that fully support UEFI. You want to take advantage of fast boot feature, but you can't really, because your graphic card doesn't support GOP. Well instead of breaking your head of hopping your graphic card manufcature have a vBIOS (firmware) upgrade for your graphic card to make it GOP ready, at the cost of making it no longer bootable on a old BIOS system. Let alone breaking your head at updating the vBIOS, and consider the chances of bricking your graphic card. Not very fun experience.

EVGA is now introducing a dual vBIOS graphic card where it has 2 chips, one for the old BIOS, and the other that is GOP ready for UEFI powered system with Windows 8. The affected  graphic card with this new feature are the new GeForce 700 series.

The way you switch between them, is as simple as switching a switch... as well it's a switch:

Switch Style 1:

Switch Style 2:

Here is the list of graphic card that will have the switch:

Source: http://www.evga.com/articles/00767/

I have everything besides a modern GPU haha i wana be able to boot in 5 secs

I am a happy wuffy

I have everything besides a modern GPU haha i wana be able to boot in 5 secs

that's not the point of dual bios..

that's not the point of dual bios..

Then im an idiot like i am half the time  :blink:

I am a happy wuffy

I have clarified my post, and said a mistake. the 2 bios are normal ones.. but it looks like you upgrade one of them to be GOP ready.

I have edited the post.

I'd like this for mobile cards. Different voltages for the vbios see how far it will go without bricking it.

Make it much easier for the modders to create for also without fear of bricking and having to recover.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Like having dual bios as you can flash custom bios on it without afraid of bricking your card.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer