I have a gtx 970, should I get another one for sli or sell it and get a 980ti?

So, I have a gtx 970,and in a year or two the plan was to get another 970 and sli them, but.... I am playing around with the idea of selling my 970 used and getting a 980ti. I play at a little less than 1080 but plan to upgrade to it and I was wondering if I should get a 980ti instead of another 970 because of vram? This is for "future proofing" for games.

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro

i7 4790k

msi Z97A Gaming 7

16 gigs of ram

750 watt psu

msi gtx 970 gaming

Thanks!!!  :)

if you can afford it, I would say yes, just cause one powerful GPU>two mid range

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's usually better to have one single powerful card than two lesser ones.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

if you can afford it, I would say yes, just cause one powerful GPU>two mid range

Selling graphics cards is hard if you don't want to lose $50+. BNIB 970's are dropping like crazy. OP should just save themselves $100+ and get another 970.

It's usually better to have one single powerful card than two lesser ones.

This is the better choice but it depends how much you're willing to pay. Single 980ti will probably cost more.

Always do a single GPU solution if you can help it.

Also, why do you play at less than 1080p?

Selling graphics cards is hard if you don't want to lose $50+. BNIB 970's are dropping like crazy. OP should just save themselves $100+ and get another 970.

have you never sold used parts or something?

you usually lose WAY more than $50, you cna expect to get 5-70% of what you paid back or even less if its older than a few years

thats why I said if OP could afford it a 980ti would be a better option, but thats if he wants to invest another $400 into it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've been playing with this exact question all week. After finally smartening up and remembering that my brother and I have the exact same GTX 970, I SLI'd them tonight.

Result? I'm gonna get a second 970. Much cheaper and wow has SLI ever come a long way from when I used it last. I also did not experience any of this mystical stuttering and slowdown stuff people have been complaining about, and I was maxing out the VRAM usage constantly.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

If you're at under 1080p, you're wasting your money. Why upgrade? Even with a 75 to 90 Hz refresh rate a GTX 970 is more than enough. 

Just keep on waiting until newer stuff is out. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

So, I have a gtx 970,and in a year or two the plan was to get another 970 and sli them, but.... I am playing around with the idea of selling my 970 used and getting a 980ti. I play at a little less than 1080 but plan to upgrade to it and I was wondering if I should get a 980ti instead of another 970 because of vram? This is for "future proofing" for games.

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro

i7 4790k

msi Z97A Gaming 7

16 gigs of ram

750 watt psu

msi gtx 970 gaming

Thanks!!!  :)

If you run at less than 1080p, dont even bother... A single 970 can run pretty fine even with newest game up to 1440p on Ultra.  So maybe you should up your monitor first.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

have you never sold used parts or something?

you usually lose WAY more than $50, you cna expect to get 5-70% of what you paid back or even less if its older than a few years

thats why I said if OP could afford it a 980ti would be a better option, but thats if he wants to invest another $400 into it

I paid $300 for my GTX 770 and got back $250. I paid $170 for my GTX 660 and got back $120. 

Thanks for the all responses everyone, I think I'll wait a little longer before making the decision since some of you said that the 970's price is changing and isn't worth the upgrade for 1080p currently.

But the main reason, besides 2 cards being a little trickier, that I'm really looking into the 980ti is because I keep hearing that games are going to take more advantage of VRAM in the future and the 980ti has significantly more use in this department then dual 970's. The upgrade would be mostly in respect to future game compatibility. What do you guys think about how much VRAM will be needed in the next few years?

As for playing at less than 1080p, I put my PC build above monitor(s) and have been using the ones I got from my job, hopefully I can get a better monitor sometime soon, if someone would point me in a good direction to start looking it would be much appreciated. 

Don't think that you really need to change anything, but if you really want to.... 980Ti. Less heat, less power usage, similar performance, and don't have to worry about SLI issues.