How Long Do You Think Until USB-C Will Be The Standard?

Snapy1

It's already starting to be on smartphones, tablets, and a few laptops, but how long do you predict it will be until USB-C is going to be the standard for most things.

5+ years

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

When will USB-C Be the standard is the question i feel needs to be asked...

I'm not sure. I think once laptops and phones start adopting this its going to be easy to say from there...

for as much as i hope micro usb to die in a fire... i dont think its gonna happen.

I imagine that most portable devices will come with it come year 2017. But will become THE standard by 2020. Or there abouts. Hopefully sooner.

I don't think it's becoming a standard at all... Lacks compatibility w/ older devices.

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

I don't think it's becoming a standard at all... Lacks compatibility w/ older devices.

I honestly don't think companies give half a shit about legacy compatibility anymore.

*cough*apple*cough*

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

If big companies keep pushing USB-C exclusive devices, it will replace the current standard

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I honestly don't think companies give half a shit about legacy compatibility anymore.

*cough*apple*cough*

You say that and yet we still have VGA adapters included basically in every graphics card, and ps2 ports on every half way decent mobo. Not to mention USB 2.0 hasn't been a legit thing for 5 years and we still ship a shitload of them.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

i actually like usb type A connectors, (dont hurt me)

One of the most conveniently robust connectors I've used. I like them as well.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

*cough*apple*cough*

And I think other companies will follow suit actually. They'll look at Apple and go, "Oh look, almighty Apple made a laptop with only a USB type C port. If it's okay for them to do that, we're gonna do it too." So basically, I agree with you. I'm all for switching to type C. The faster the better. At the stage we're at right now USB type C is still kinda weird because while it is on some newer devices, it is still far from ubiquitous. So, the more companies that jump on the bandwagon, the faster and more easy the transition is going to be.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

There's backward compatibility with an adapter or specialized USB C-to-USB A cable. It's just a change in the physical connector, the USB signal hasn't changed. All that's needed is a simple, cheap USB passthrough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9083DB0878&cm_re=USB_A_to_USB_C-_-9SIA9083DB0878-_-Product

You say that and yet we still have VGA adapters included basically in every graphics card, and ps2 ports on every half way decent mobo. Not to mention USB 2.0 hasn't been a legit thing for 5 years and we still ship a shitload of them.

But that's why the type C connector is just an interface update and not proprietary to the USB 3.1 protocol. Because it does have legacy support. Hence Oneplus and Google/LG/Huawei including USB type C at 2.0 speeds on their devices. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

@typographie Really. I don't think, anyone would like to take an adaptor everywhere instead of a regular USB type A- connector...

@Exploded117 Apple did its thing ever since. They invented the "new" and "improved", thinner audio jack... 

@typographie Really. I don't think, anyone would like to take an adaptor everywhere instead of a regular USB type A- connector...

I was responding to you saying it was not compatible. It's compatible. Now you're talking about convenience, not compatibility.

What specific problem are you envisioning here? If you buy a phone or tablet with a type-C charging port, it's likely going to come with an A-to-C charging cable. If it didn't, or if you needed something else, you could likely buy it for a few dollars or euros. The same is true if you bought a laptop with a type-C port. Just find the cable you need to make using it whatever degree of easy you need it to be. These things are not expensive, there is very little if any new tech in them.

It's actually fine if we have to deal with some very minor inconvenience in the short-term to end up with a better standard for the long-term. Once upon a time we had to cope with a switch from SCSI and Serial Port and whatever other nonsense we used to use to USB, and that was even less cross-compatible with our old devices. That didn't mean it was bad.

@typographie For phones, it might become the leading standard. But for desktop PCs, it maybe never will. I simply don't care about all those companies which are putting type-c connectors on their motherboards. "Oh man, we put this shiny new USB 3.1 type-c connector on our new motherboard. Go buy it!"... This connector is designed for smaller devices such as smartphones and tablets. Devices that don't have the space to handle a full size USB connector. Another thing is reliability. Would you use a type c to type a adaptor to simply plug in your keyboard or mouse? That's what I meant with compatibility. 

I was responding to you saying it was not compatible. It's compatible. Now you're talking about convenience, not compatibility.

What specific problem are you envisioning here? If you buy a phone or tablet with a type-C charging port, it's likely going to come with an A-to-C charging cable. If it didn't, or if you needed something else, you could likely buy it for a few dollars or euros. The same is true if you bought a laptop with a type-C port. Just find the cable you need to make using it whatever degree of easy you need it to be. These things are not expensive, there is very little if any new tech in them.

It's actually fine if we have to deal with some very minor inconvenience in the short-term to end up with a better standard for the long-term. Once upon a time we had to cope with a switch from SCSI and Serial Port and whatever other nonsense we used to use to USB, and that was even less cross-compatible with our old devices. That didn't mean it was bad.

@typographie For phones, it might become the leading standard. But for desktop PCs, it maybe never will. I simply don't care about all those companies which are putting type-c connectors on their motherboards. "Oh man, we put this shiny new USB 3.1 type-c connector on our new motherboard. Go buy it!"... This connector is designed for smaller devices such as smartphones and tablets. Devices that don't have the space to handle a full size USB connector. Another thing is reliability. Would you use a type c to type a adaptor to simply plug in your keyboard or mouse? That's what I meant with compatibility. 

He meant physical compatibility (which is still an important point ofc) not electrical/software compatibility. Type A is obviously a much more robust connector than mini/micro/type-c ever were or ever will be. That is the primary reason I don't ever see type A going away. The need for physical adapters is a second issue, an issue that has massively slowed down the removal of VGA on computers (only now are we finally almost there) even though DVI-D was electrically compatible. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

@Exploded117 Apple did its thing ever since. They invented the "new" and "improved", thinner audio jack... 

Now with $60 adapters for if you want to use anything other than beats by dre!

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White