My friend wants to get a GPU for his laptop

Knaj
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Sorry, OP but you can't replace the GPU in a laptop, unless it's a very special and rare one. The laptop GPU chip is usually soldered directly onto the motherboard PCB. In your case it's actually built in to the processor. Which isn't technically even called a processor but an APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) So, like so many here have said, it's impossible to replace this or most laptop GPUs.

It is technically possible to add a GPU into a laptop even if the original one is built in. It just needs a connector for it. Most common is USB. But external USB GPUs pale in performance to even that sad little APU. So in that regard your friend is out of luck too.

His laptop processor is a AMD A10-5745m

Whats the best GPU he could get without bottlenecking, and how would we be able to hook up a GPU to it/is it possible?

Um... not really. They're all really built in.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

Whats the best GPU he could get without bottlenecking, and how would we be able to hook up a GPU to it/is it possible?

You can't add a GPU to a laptop. There are some external solutions but I doubt this laptop would work with them.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

@TheAmazingCookieFromSquare Why both Fury X and 980 Ti in your build?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

private messgae me

right. I forgot about that. Sorry.

My Rig:

Peripherals:

how does one add a gpu to his laptop

how does one add a gpu to his laptop

Unsafe:

Safe but expensive:

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Sorry, OP but you can't replace the GPU in a laptop, unless it's a very special and rare one. The laptop GPU chip is usually soldered directly onto the motherboard PCB. In your case it's actually built in to the processor. Which isn't technically even called a processor but an APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) So, like so many here have said, it's impossible to replace this or most laptop GPUs.

It is technically possible to add a GPU into a laptop even if the original one is built in. It just needs a connector for it. Most common is USB. But external USB GPUs pale in performance to even that sad little APU. So in that regard your friend is out of luck too.

Unsafe:

Safe but expensive:

i think the op means a internal one and a full desktop gpu in a laptop has nothing to do with adding a gpu to a laptop

cant you just use multiple ports

cant you just use multiple ports

Multiple USB ports to run one GPU? No. You can't combine USB ports to act in unison like that.

Multiple USB ports to run one GPU? No. You can't combine USB ports to act in unison like that.

that should exist

It's still a processor. It having built in graphics doesn't make it so the CPU can't process information.

It's still a processor. It having built in graphics doesn't make it so the CPU can't process information.

It sure is. But AMD wanted to make the distinction and not call it a processor, to be more precise, not a CPU with an integrated GPU. Architecturally and functionally an APU is almost the exact same thing.

No Just No No

Unless he wants to live on the street after his house is burned down

LMAO DEAD