Microsoft’s New Surface Book Laptop-Hybrid Sells Out On Its Online Store

SirNumbers

When the Surface Book, Microsoft’s new laptop-hybrid was announced, the most expensive version quickly sold out on the company’s online store. Now, every variant is unavailable on the online Microsoft store in the United States.

That’s notable, given the device’s high price point; the Surface Book starts at $1,499.

The Surface Book was a surprise release from Microsoft last week. If the Surface Pro line of devices is notable for its tablet-focus, and laptop skills, the Surface Book is the inverse — a laptop that can, if you so desire, double as a tablet.

I WANT ONE BUT I HAVE NO MONEY :(((

Congratulations microsoft, first time ive heard a computer sell out that isnt a apple product

Source:http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/13/microsofts-new-surface-book-laptop-hybrid-sells-out-on-its-online-store/

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

To be fair, they probably didn't have a crap ton in stock in comparison to Apple.

Razer did the same thing when they launched their Blade laptop.

Can't afford that.

Why do I even care its out of stock when I cant afford it

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

So my Mum waiting to buy one is a good idea then (Its replacing an Asus U38N-which has a shitty APU that is slower than the P920 in her old laptop and has a memory controller that is utter garbage as well)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I just don't get the hype of surface line up, can someone enlight me on why Surface is so popular?

I just don't get the hype of surface line up, can someone enlight me on why Surface is so popular?

Apple, but... like, Windows!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

i would buy it if it was cheaper. but it probably won't get cheap anytime soon. hopefully upcoming reviews can justify that price tag 

Yes. Before the Surface you had devices like this:

lenovo-tablet-thinkpad-x230t-convertible

They cost ~3000$ or so (for the ones with a pen system that you don't need to fight with), they were very big, heavy, crazy short battery (4-6h at best), super weak CPU, the cheaper ones were loud, innovation was minimal. They were catered to onsite engineers and similar roles.

Then comes the Surface. This device that is like the one above, but thinner, crazy battery life in comparison, cool and quiet (and much quieter under load), solid build quality, serious performance, inexpensive in comparison, high resolution IPS panel (above device, most had TN panel, with Windows minimum supported resolution), high attention to details down to be like Apple and Razer, where you don't see the metal casing of the ports (something I wish that case manufactures do, but reviewer are too busy trying to fit their 4 fan slot radiator when most people use air cool), and well, the device is just really good in all aspects.

Now that the Surface Pro arrived in consumer hands, and that tablets are becoming more popular, and that people want to do more with their tablets, they see the power of the pen input in their day to day activity and how it improves their work flow. And now the Surface Pro, is a tablet + laptop. No longer they need to carry 2 devices. The pen is what makes the Surface Pro what it is, and  the pen has great advantages over keyboard and mouse in many aspects, bringing in a new input device. So the Surface Pro sales, as people buying it.

More and more productivity software support touch and pen in Windows. Just to show the impact this device has.

I think that is why it is so popular. We see innovation. A high quality device. Pushes the industry forward. And useful to many.

Unlike Apple, the Surface line is productivity tool. It's not a fashion statement, it's not what is hip. Sure it looks beautiful for many people, but it is a powerful tool to many and most importantly to them. So important in fact, that they have no problem paying the premium price.

If you still don't get, watch the presentation:

http://www.microsoft.com/october2015event/en-us/live-event

Jump to 55min

To be fair, they probably didn't have a crap ton in stock in comparison to Apple.

Razer did the same thing when they launched their Blade laptop.

The Surface Book manufacture order is clearly lower than the Surface Pro one, as it is a new product and they are trying to avoid over making them like they did with the Surface RT costing millions for the company.

But, the Surface line has sold well. I recall me waiting 3 months for being able to order the Surface Pro 2. I did see with stores, and they did receive (or so they claim) 10, even up to 20 for a week in big electronic store and sale out within the same day. Pretty shocking. Microsoft quarterly result has confirmed this.  The Pro 3 sold even better as well (and Microsoft increased the production) and still sold out. The Surface is now a billion dollar product revenue for Microsoft (see their financial reports). That is why everyone is jumping onboard and getting a peace of the pie. Apple, Lenovo, Toshiba, and HP to name some examples, all copying the Surface line product

Look HP is not even hiding it.

spectre_x2_premium-2-in-1.jpg

spectre_x2_carved-like-sculpture.jpg

spectre_x2_ready-for-active-pen.png

Also many Surface Pro 4 models are also sold out

For whatever reason, I knew a lot of people in law school who used these ( I personally have no idea why) but I think there was something attractive about using windows, and getting a tablet. However, I used a Mac then an Asus laptop (a loaded 1500 one) and I went back to a Mac because of its build quality. I think Microsoft is doing the right thing making more premium products. 

Yes. Before the Surface you had devices like this:

lenovo-tablet-thinkpad-x230t-convertible

They cost ~3000$ or so (for the ones with a pen system that you need to fight with), they were very big, heavy, crazy short battery (4-6h at best), super weak CPU, the cheaper ones were loud, innovation was minimal. They were catered to onsite engineers and similar roles.

The comes the Surface. This device that is like the one above, but thinner, crazy battery life in comparison, cool and quiet (and much quieter under load), solid build quality, serious performance, inexpensive in comparison, high resolution IPS panel (above device, most had TN panel, with Windows minimum supported resolution), high attention to details down to be like Apple and Razer, where you don't see the metal casing of the ports (something I wish that case manufactures do, but reviewer are too busy trying to fit their 4 fan slot radiator when most people use air cool), and well, the device is just really good in all aspects.

Now that the Surface Pro arrived in consumer hands, and that tablets are becoming more popular, and that people want to do more, they see the power of the pen input in their day to day activity and how it improves their work flow. And now the Surface Pro, is a tablet + laptop. No longer they need to carry 2 devices. The pen is what makes the Surface Pro what it is, and  the pen has great advantages over keyboard and mouse in many aspects, bringing in a new input device.

More and more productivity software su[port touch and pen in Windows. Just to show the impact this device has.

I think that is why it is so popular. We see innovation. A high quality device. Pushes the industry forward. And useful to many.

Unlike Apple, the Surface line is productivity tool. It's not a fashion statement, it's not what is hip. Sure it looks beautiful for many people, but it is a powerful tool to many and most importantly to them. So important in fact, that they have no problem paying the premium price.

If you still don't get, watch the presentation:

http://www.microsoft.com/october2015event/en-us/live-event

Jump to 55min

That's similar to the Touchsmart TM2 my Mum bought for use at her work-and I will say this, touchscreens have come a really long way since then.

PMSL

edit: wow wrong thread #newb.

I know the feeling, a while ago I posted in the wrong thread 8 times in a row.

PMSL

Whats the display panel they're using?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

IPS panel

So they are keeping up the all-round quality. Good.

PMSL

So they are keeping up the all-round quality. Good.

I'd honestly expect them to use an IPS panel, considering how much you pay for the thing :P

Or maybe even an IGZO panel... hmmm...

I'd honestly expect them to use an IPS panel, considering how much you pay for the thing :P

Or maybe even an IGZO panel... hmmm...

I swear the IPS panel is a large part of the cost of the U38N. Because the APU is very cheap (and its performance reflects that).

PMSL

I swear the IPS panel is a large part of the cost of the U38N. Because the APU is very cheap (and its performance reflects that).

Well, hey, at least it's not TN, right? Even if the APU is shit.

Well, hey, at least it's not TN, right? Even if the APU is shit.

Yep. Even if its only 1080p the colour is still bloody good.

PMSL

I've seen 1440p and 4K screens in action.......1080p is OK, that's it......DSR/VSR helps but 1080p still doesn't provide images that are anywhere near as sharp.

Edit: I'm using a 1080p TN panel ATM BTW.

PMSL

I've seen 1440p and 4K screens in action.......1080p is OK, that's it......DSR/VSR helps but 1080p still doesn't provide images that are anywhere near as sharp.

I wish I had a 1440p monitor, but I know my GPU will never push most games at that resolution.

Anyway, considering the price they're asking for you'd think they would commission a custom IGZO panel from Sharp for the device, but I guess the IPS display will do, especially if they deliver on that 12 hour battery mark claim (knowing how much power IPS displays draw).