School Receives a Q&A session from Macklemore and a $10,000 music grant, declines and now students are fighting back through social media

theburgerbucket

About a week ago, Aliso Niguel High School, a school in the Orange County area of Southern California won a competition for the most student surveyors on Chegg.com, a tutoring website. The school won a concert hosted by Macklemore and a $10,000 grant.

But rumor says that 6 parents did not like this idea, as his music "Promoted Drug Use" and other rumors state that the lead person of the music facilities denied the $10,000 because he did not support gay rights, but Macklemore (As we all know) does. Whatever caused this, who knows. But what we know is that yesterday early Monday, October 12th the principal announced that they have officially declined this offer, stating that quote, "We have had complaints from parents, and will not be accepting this generous prize". She even had a picture of herself holding the giant check plastered to the homepage here: https://anhs-capousd-ca.schoolloop.com/

And so naturally, many students(and even parents as well as random supporters) have been angered and with the hashtag #bringbackmac have started to protest this movement. One person named Sydney Freeman Sacker started a change.org petition to fight back at 8:00PM on the same day. When this was posted, supporters have already reached roughly 5,500 backers. Macklemore himself has even retweeted (here: https://twitter.com/macklemore/status/653802025272999937 ) a student's post quoting "That's disappointing". More about this here: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/macklemore-687313-students-parents.html MTV had an article as well: http://www.mtv.com/news/2347743/macklemore-ryan-lewis-aliso-niguel-high-school-chegg-contest-grant/

I, as a student of this high school, kindly ask of the LTT community to step up, get that hashtag trending, and support the cause on change.org. Again, any type or kind of support is helpful, but this is all your free will. And if you do support the cause, I as well as all the high school students thank you for your participation in this movement. Again, you can support the cause at https://www.change.org/p/aliso-niguel-high-school-allow-macklemore-at-aliso-niguel-high-school

EDIT: Our school is struggling to keep funds up, and they declined it. I feel like thats stupid, don't you guys?

I mean, 50 cent worth lunch for $3.00?!?! I could get better food and even more at Costco.

EDIT2: It was a Q&A session apparently.

UPDATE: WE GOT THE Q&A & THE GRANT BACK! For those of you who supported, thank you! :D

Seems pretty selfish of the faculty to turn down a chance to improve the program for students over their personal feelings on a political issue. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

How is this tech news?

It's just stupid parents being stupid

Student are fighting back on social media

When reading about this it reminded me sort of how the residents and families of people involved in the college shooting here in Oregon denied the president visiting them, saying it was "all just political" when, in reality, he was giving his condolences to those who had been struck by the shooting.

Selfish people being selfish.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Reminds me of the KoTH episode where Arlen High gets No Doubt to play at their school

Sorry not sorry

@Trik'Stari

About Macklemore frankly it's no big deal, it's the 10k bucks they turned down for completely unconnected reasons that would anger me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

About Macklemore frankly it's no big deal, it's the 10k bucks they turned down for completely unconnected reasons that would anger me.

Exactly what I thought. O, maybe the concert, but $10,000?!?!

Well, that sucks. Its always those few that ruins for everyone. Personally I think the kids should have what they had won, like really its like stealing candy from childs...

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Exactly what I thought. O, maybe the concert, but $10,000?!?!

I mean if she doesn't support gay marriage that's her right, but what does that have to do with the money? Hell, if anything she should be glad to take money away from him (if it was even his money)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, that sucks. Its always those few that ruins for everyone. Personally I think the kids should have what they had won, like really its like stealing candy from childs...

We took 30 minutes to do 3 different mandatory surveys, now this??? Man... I could be playing Battlefront xD

Prime example of a few individuals ruining it for a whole bunch of people who could have really benefited from that money...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

What? Let the students have a good time dammit.

Pretty interesting. Really odd that people would rather support their own discriminatory views than take money to support education. Even if his music referenced drugs, I assume he (and others) would not encourage the use of it in reality. They all do that for the sole purpose of sounding cool anyway...

Pretty interesting. Really odd that people would rather support their own discriminatory views than take money to support education. Even if his music referenced drugs, I assume he (and others) would not encourage the use of it in reality. They all do that for the sole purpose of sounding cool anyway...

However, it does complicate things a bit. If kids start using drugs after listening to some music by him, parents are going to point fingers, probably at the school, and considering how lawsuit-happy the U.S. is...it's unfortunate, to say the least, but that's how it is.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Macklemore should just put together the gig nearby anyway and just do a raffle for the 10k for one (or a few) of the attendants. 

-------

Current Rig

-------