ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q - Flickering @ 144Hz, 60 - 120 Hz runs fine

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

I didn't have GSYNC turned on. The flickering happens regardless of GSYNC being turned on or not. Yet, that's a little weird isn't it? Wasn't this monitor designed to be used with GSYNC? Is there a reason why it doesn't work well with 144 Hz, but does fine with 60 - 120 Hz? Still new to the GSYNC world. I have used it but once on an Acer monitor. Really helped me keep a stable FPS playing Watch Dogs on my old system (2x 670s)

I am starting to think so as well. Is there any way this could've been a dormant issue that didn't surface for the first few weeks that I played? 

I am thinking of doing that now.. Any suggestions of which driver I should go for? Right now I am on 358.50 I think I may have been on 355.82 the last time I used this monitor..

go back to the one you used to use, 355 was very stable imo

Hi guys,

I am using two 980 Ti cards in SLi and I did a clean install (using the DDU uninstall in safe mode) of the latest drivers. I have Windows 8.1 running with latest updates. I am not sure what is causing this issue, where the monitor seems fine for the first few minutes on 144Hz, but after a bit of clicking around, moving windows, etc. it starts flickering like crazy. Here's an example video of someone who had similar issues: 

It's exactly like that but just a LOT more frequent - say about 10 times per minute?

I have GSYNC enabled, SLi is running and resolution is at 1440p. The flickering stops the moment I bring the refresh rate down to anything between 60 and 120 Hz. Anyone else has this happen to them?

This is weird because I used the monitor for a week or two without issues before on 144Hz so I am not sure if this is a driver issue. I want to make sure if anything needs to be changed or do I ask for a refund/replacement from Amazon?

Thanks!
E

Hi guys,

I am using two 980 Ti cards in SLi and I did a clean install (using the DDU uninstall in safe mode) of the latest drivers. I have Windows 8.1 running with latest updates. I am not sure what is causing this issue, where the monitor seems fine for the first few minutes on 144Hz, but after a bit of clicking around, moving windows, etc. it starts flickering like crazy. Here's an example video of someone who had similar issues:  It's exactly like that but just a LOT more frequent - say about 10 times per minute?

I have GSYNC enabled, SLi is running and resolution is at 1440p. The flickering stops the moment I bring the refresh rate down to anything between 60 and 120 Hz. Anyone else has this happen to them?

This is weird because I used the monitor for a week or two without issues before on 144Hz so I am not sure if this is a driver issue. I want to make sure if anything needs to be changed or do I ask for a refund/replacement from Amazon?

Thanks!

E

Turn off GSYNC.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Turn off GSYNC.

im pretty sure he wants to run it with g sync and its probably a driver issue if you updated recently

try downgrading to an older driver

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Turn off GSYNC.

I didn't have GSYNC turned on. The flickering happens regardless of GSYNC being turned on or not. Yet, that's a little weird isn't it? Wasn't this monitor designed to be used with GSYNC? Is there a reason why it doesn't work well with 144 Hz, but does fine with 60 - 120 Hz? Still new to the GSYNC world. I have used it but once on an Acer monitor. Really helped me keep a stable FPS playing Watch Dogs on my old system (2x 670s)

im pretty sure he wants to run it with g sync and its probably a driver issue if you updated recently

I am starting to think so as well. Is there any way this could've been a dormant issue that didn't surface for the first few weeks that I played? 

try downgrading to an older driver

I am thinking of doing that now.. Any suggestions of which driver I should go for? Right now I am on 358.50 I think I may have been on 355.82 the last time I used this monitor..

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have no issue with mine.

single asus 980 ti strix OC

same monitor

with latest drivers

window 10.

Try down downgrade your driver and see if helps.

Looks like this may have been the trick. No more flickering. I am going to test this out a little more. I will report what I find.

Thanks!

E

Looks like this may have been the trick. No more flickering. I am going to test this out a little more. I will report what I find.

Thanks!

E

youre welcome :)

Spoiler