So Linus is complaining on twitter again

Thibaudv

This is the tweet from Linus:

"Listening to music on my iPhone 4 right now... Man, that's one thing I miss about it. Sound quality so much better than HTC One. /subjective"

Dear Linus, there are a few ways you can fix this is issue.

1. Root the phone, put a custom rom on it, such as the ViperOne rom which combines different sound enhancing technologies from different companies (I believe it combines beats + sony + samsung sound software.

2. Android can also natively play .flac audio files which your iPhone 4 couldn't (correct me if I'm wrong), which are better than .mp3 files (lossless).

3. I'm probably forgetting some other solutions... help me out guys :D

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Are you saying MP3 is lossless or that FLAC is lossless?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are you saying MP3 is lossless or that FLAC is lossless?

Its fairly self explanatory, Free Loss-less Audio Codec. So he has to be referring  about MP3. :P

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Its fairly self explanatory, Free Loss-less Audio Codec. So he has to be referring  about MP3. :P

Never know.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Don't even bother playing any audio on my phone (Galaxy Victory) since I get so much static

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Umm... Iphones and Ipod touch are rated highly for music quality over just about anything else. They have a nicer amp/chip what ever it is. It's just a higher quality for better sounds. Only so much a equalizer can do if your device isn't the best to start with.

So until we start getting phones with better sound instead of a terrible bass heavy 'beats' equalizer I have to agree that the iphone is probably going to win in that section.

I can't notice a difference but I use the headphone that are induced with the phone. I haven't got myself a super nice pair. I hardly use them except for flying.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I still use a 1st gen ipod fat

sounds great

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Wth? I always thought HTC ONE speakers were much better than then single iphone 4/s speaker was.

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Wth? I always thought HTC ONE speakers were much better than then single iphone 4/s speaker was.

Headphones....

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Better hardware is a really big deal when it comes to sound quality. Think of it in the same terms as kinda like a bottleneck. You can have the best source in the world with finely tuned EQ but if your amp sucks balls it won't sound as good as it can

The speakers are, but you see the difference when you use a good pair of headphones.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

1. Root the phone, put a custom rom on it, such as the ViperOne rom which combines different sound enhancing technologies from different companies (I believe it combines beats + sony + samsung sound software.

2. Android can also natively play .flac audio files which your iPhone 4 couldn't (correct me if I'm wrong), which are better than .mp3 files (lossless).

1. Software can't compensate lack of good audio hardware. It might make it even worse.

2. iOS can play ALAC (lossless) and you know what it is useless on such devices anyway. You can't hear a difference.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Linus should just get a portable DAC/amp.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Better hardware is a really big deal when it comes to sound quality. Think of it in the same terms as kinda like a bottleneck. You can have the best source in the world with finely tuned EQ but if your amp sucks balls it won't sound as good as it can

Okay so I understand you cannot fix the issue. But that doesn't mean you cannot improve your sound quality. When I switched to different roms on my phone I DID hear the difference. Then again I never had an iPhone, only an ipod touch (2g).

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Linus should just get a portable DAC/amp.

I would never do this. Just adds more bulk to what is supposed to be a portable device. 

As to people saying use a different rom, it doesn't fix the issues. I personally have a Galaxy Note 2 and still use an iPod for music because there really is just no comparison when listening to lossless audio. I've also had an HTC Rezound and Galaxy SIII. The quality on them all is just not up to par even with something like PowerAMP. (And lol at the people who flash those audio zips on XDA that modify sound. I've tried most of them and they are all godawful and distort the sound). 

Shit rolls down hill. A poor signal into an amp is a poor signal out.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

The only thing bad about the One's headphone quality is the fact that it emphasizes the highs and the lows way too much with beats audio on. And with it off it basically emphasizes in-between. So basically, people who don't listen to "popular" music are tough out of luck. If you like listening to classical music, or anything your screwed.

In my opinion the on-board amp on the One is pretty good for a phone.

The speakers are, but you see the difference when you use a good pair of headphones.

Can you see sound? o_O

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Can you see sound? o_O

You can see the sound waves if you have the right equipment.

You can see the sound waves if you have the right equipment.

There's even a special case of autism in which people can see sound in colours or something

Can you see sound? o_O

You know what I mean!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

yeah... waste your time teeaking your android phone when the manufacturer should provide you with a good experience out of box. not to mention the low qualty components will still be low quality components no matter the software used.

Linus isnt complainimg, he appreciates good quality and he's just letting you know the truth about your shite android gear.

Wanting high quality music and listening on a portable device designed for something else is just an epic failure waiting to happen. I doubt Linus even own a decent stereo system where it would be worlds better than even an iPhone...

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

My phone crackles all the time when listening to music, yay. But it's also quite a cheap phone (Galaxy Gio).

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3