Think before buying a HAF-XB

Joshua

So I bought a HAF-XB, and put together a pc. I put a 60gb SSD in one of the 2.5" drive bays and I put a 1TB HDD in the X-Dock bay. The X-Dock bay consisted of a plastic HDD bay, that would slot into a slot which would subsequently push a SATA connector and SATA Power connector into the back of the HDD. Both of the SATA Power connectors where powered by 1 Molex connector. On first boot, all was fine until I saw smoke. Lots of it, too. I swiftly turned off my system by the plugs in the wall and I went to investigate. Part of the PCB on the back of the hard drive had melted and also melted part of my X-Dock bay. I assumed this was a faulty HDD and returned it to the shop and bought a 2TB HDD. This one didn't work. It was DOA. Didn't work in my new machine or my xp machine. I then bought another 1TB HDD, which I just put in the X-Dock bay. It melted. So, angry, I did a little research and found a thread on a forum saying that the X-dock bays would fry the HDDs sometimes, and this is a common fault.

This isn't really a discussion topic, but I wanted to save you guys from losing 3 HDD's like I did, and causing you a hell of a lot of grief and frustration.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Im sorry to hear that man :( im surprised the pcb melted before the wires! Not good, not good.

Pretty bad luck bro. X slot is not supposed to do that but yeah the wires should have melted first. Cant cooler master not properly think of a basic stupid docking solution for a hard disk???

i got the haf xb and i didnt have any problems but my friend did (it killed a hard drive) and when i looked at it i realized that the molex power was upside down and i was wondering how he did it and it looks like the plastic shielding to make sure you plug in the molex correctly was bigger than usual and it was able to plug in the wrong way. maybe thats what happened with you personally i love this case its the best one ive working in and way better than my old azza 2000 hurricane hardly any dust gets in it

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

That is not good. Contact CM for further assistance, if this had happened to me, I would have raged in fury, and sent them an email of my problem.

MEH