Put a fan inside your passively cooled wifi router!

Maskot

Requirements:

1. Wifi Router
2. USB Port on the Wifi Router
3. Enough space inside for a fan

4. Soldering Skills

5. Thin Fan
6. some sort of fan connector, you probably have one lying around.
6. Hot Glue Gun

In this Tutorial, I will be using a Linksys E3000

Step 1. Disassemble your Wifi Router.  WARNING: This will void the warranty.

F0s9rUe.jpg

Step 2. Find the USB Port on the back, depending on how it's facing, the ground and positive wire should be soldered to the left most and right most pins.

f3g0fHV.jpg

Step 3. Hot glue the ends of the wires and hot glue the extra wire into place on the case of the wifi router to make sure they don't flop around inside.
Nd09L7F.jpg

Step 4. Hot glue the fan onto the other side of the case, make sure it doesn't obstruct anything when checking placement.
7k2KBmP.jpg

Step 5. Connect the fan to the connector, make sure it works before putting it back together, snap the case closed and put the screws back in, then you're done.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Honestly, if I was opening my router I would just cut a hole in both sides and putting a 120mm fan in it. But nice guide anyways.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Why did you glue the contacts to the PCB?

I soldered them, then for reassurance, since hot glue isn't conductive, I hot glued them.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

lol my router literally overheated yesterday but I was using my Xbox (I know right) and its right next to it soooo yea

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Hehe, using the USB to power the fan is quite clever actually. Nice idea IMO. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Why did you glue the contacts to the PCB?

Its actually pretty common in smaller electronics and smaller gauges of wires as soldering isn't always secure, alot of non modular powersupplys have it done to the internals to prevent a wire from coming lose.

Its actually pretty common in smaller electronics and smaller gauges of wires as soldering isn't always secure, alot of non modular powersupplys have it done to the internals to prevent a wire from coming lose.

I do that on most all of my projects it helps alot to keep it sturdy especially with 24awg wire

Edit: weeew 100 posts

I am a happy wuffy

i would rather make a hole in my desk put a fan and then put router on top of it. in this way i wont at least void the warranty of my router.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Good idea, but for people that don't want to void their warranty.

USB Laptop cooler.

Don't know what it is? Look it up.

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

Good idea, but for people that don't want to void their warranty.

USB Laptop cooler.

Don't know what it is? Look it up.

I wanted a more internal fix, but a laptop cooler will do the same thing, and the warranty was already over on my router anyways.

That's a good idea, since my router is hotter than my toaster.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

...but why?

because routers these days get very hot. Perfect example is the Virgin media super hub in the UK. It literally cooks itself to death. My friend owns one and the amount of times its overheated is silly. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I can see the value in this.  It is a good idea.

We have a wifi router (linksys wrt610n) in our attic above the game room.  It gets very hot up there in summer.  

It quit one day while my nephew and I were playing xbox and we lost our wifi connection to the attic router.

Climbing up to the attic I discovered the router was very hot.   Turns out the AC adapter/wall-wart is what died.  The router was still good.  Anyway, point is, I guess I shouldn't keep routers in the stagnant heat of the attic.  What I really need to do is run the cat6 down into the wall and then connect the router inside the air conditioned game room.

To be honest I'd rather not do this and smash the router with a hammer instead. Then build a build nice small PC to run pfSense... much better and more powerful router than anything you are going to buy unless you start spending above £500...

Or, build your own actual router with a second hand business oriented cisco wireless card with the tutorial Wendell and Logan made.

This is tempting, my gadget corner gets pretty how nowadays with a pc and router behind a TV!

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

My router actually gets hot but doesn't loose connection unless im wireless. The wireless antenna must get hot and give up when they get too hot and chuck everyone off. To fix the issue I need to physically unplug or power off the router.

System Specs:

because routers these days get very hot. Perfect example is the Virgin media super hub in the UK. It literally cooks itself to death. My friend owns one and the amount of times its overheated is silly. 

So... What you could also do is buy a good router to begin with.

I have one of the better routers, I think it was around $300 on release, but I bought it for just over $100.  It still ran ridiculously hot, it never crashed, it was just always hot and it worried me, so I put a fan inside of it, now instead of being able to cook an egg on it, it's just warm to the touch.

I did something like this with my old D-Link router.

Surprising results. My router never gave me problems ever again.

Only my modem.

The Syndicate

No. You cant just "buy a good router" because even good routers overheat. Also just putting it out there, you can't avoid overheating as you NEED to use the router supplied by the ISP over here. The settings on the router are locked to the router. Also ISPs can detect if you aren't using their equipment. Especially Sky broadband.

System Specs:

No. You cant just "buy a good router" because even good routers overheat. Also just putting it out there, you can't avoid overheating as you NEED to use the router supplied by the ISP over here. The settings on the router are locked to the router. Also ISPs can detect if you aren't using their equipment. Especially Sky broadband.

That's funny... I've been using my Apple AirPort Extreme for more than a year now and I have never been anywhere near problems with it, that goes for both heat related and non-heat related problems. So yes you can just buy a good router and run that. Let the hate commence.

That's funny... I've been using my Apple AirPort Extreme for more than a year now and I have never been anywhere near problems with it, that goes for both heat related and non-heat related problems. So yes you can just buy a good router and run that. Let the hate commence.

Ill hate on you if its a older version of the airport and not one of the latest models like the tower one or the tiny one.

I am a happy wuffy