beyerdynamic dt 990 pro or Sennheiser 598 and other little questions

Hi i'm looking for some good open headphones and was thinking about these two but they seem similar so i cant decide. If anything i'm trying to make the best choice from two factors one being sound quality and the other being the gaming aspect of these since i have herd great things from 598 since it has a big sound stage. my price range is around 200 if you want to recommend something else. I also wanted to know if cables affect sound quality? and i don't mean digital for obvious reasons but my reason being is that i just recently got a shitt stack and forgot they didn't come with any cables so i just used some really old and thin rca cable. since its analog i don't know if it has a impact or not. not like i'm getting issues just wanting too know is all.

i have the 598 personally i love the look and sound signature there is not as much base as most people like 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i have the 598 personally i love the look and sound signature there is not as much base as most people like 

from what i know neither of these two have a lot of base or anything but they are not made for it either also im getting some Crossfade LP2 for that just want to know about differences between these two. also have any insight on the audio cable thing?

from what i know neither of these two have a lot of base or anything but they are not made for it either also im getting some Crossfade LP2 for that just want to know about differences between these two. also have any insight on the audio cable thing?

cant answer the cable thing and i don't know much about the other headphones but what i can tell you is if your mainly using it for gaming buy a headphone with a little more base i used my 598s for gaming for a little while but they just are kind of flat when it comes to gun or engine noise but if your using them primarily for listening to music and you don't like heavy base (just like me) they are great 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

You obviously don't know your stuff if you think the DT 990's don't have a lot of bass, those things have tons of bass/trebble. Watch more reviews lol! Those things are bass cannons. Wasn't supposed to be insulting just don't think you've done enough research.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

from what i have gotten from reviews was that it gets there at a certain decibel and still are not the best for bass while yeah i know sennheiser doesnt have much base on any of their headphones from what i know and the 990 are better there. bass is not what im looking for with these since like i said better out there for bassy music aka LP2 its always best to have more headphones for each type of music you are listening to. and ive never herd they were bass cannons any ware just good on bass for what it does 

+1 on the 558 recommendation, same drivers that are found in the 598 and with a little easy modding instant 598 status.

Btw, this is coming from someone who has owned the 3 mentioned (including both 990 Pro & Premiums), not someone just reading what others say about it. If you want bass though, Sennheisers may very well disappoint depending on what kind of bass you are looking for. Sennies are known for their analytical sound, the bass is there, but it is refined and subtle, not something that jumps out and punches your ears, for that the DT990's would do much better in.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

+1 on the 558 recommendation, same drivers that are found in the 598 and with a little easy modding instant 598 status.

Btw, this is coming from someone who has owned the 3 mentioned (including both 990 Pro & Premiums), not someone just reading what others say about it. If you want bass though, Sennheisers may very well disappoint depending on what kind of bass you are looking for. Sennies are known for their analytical sound, the bass is there, but it is refined and subtle, not something that jumps out and punches your ears, for that the DT990's would do much better in.

I would prefer not to mod for the two year warranty and whatnot and like i said i am also getting the crossfade LP2 which is known to be better for base and stuff since its built specifically for that. guess i will go for the 598 also its not that much more expensive and comes with better earcups and stuff so +1 for that. Btw any info on the Audio cable thing? should i get some better ones or does it not matter? if you did not read the full original question its that im using super old cheepo RCA cables that i had lying around for my connection from my modi 2 to my magni 2 and was wondering it it would hurt the signal or something. nothing wrong with the sound just curious since did'nt see anything about that on the FAQ

I would prefer not to mod for the two year warranty and whatnot and like i said i am also getting the crossfade LP2 which is known to be better for base and stuff since its built specifically for that. guess i will go for the 598 also its not that much more expensive and comes with better earcups and stuff so +1 for that. Btw any info on the Audio cable thing? should i get some better ones or does it not matter? if you did not read the full original question its that im using super old cheepo RCA cables that i had lying around for my connection from my modi 2 to my magni 2 and was wondering it it would hurt the signal or something. nothing wrong with the sound just curious since did'nt see anything about that on the FAQ

Cables are fine. I'd just get the 558 and not do the mod. Saving money is good. It's not like the 558 sounds worse than the 598, just different.

Cables are fine. I'd just get the 558 and not do the mod. Saving money is good. It's not like the 558 sounds worse than the 598, just different.

And not much different at all anyway.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Owner of the HD 598, couldn't be happier with them.

Though as others have mentioned before me, they do lack bass which some people prefer.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Sorry I'm on mobile so I can't quote but thanks for the info on the cables also I would still like the softer material used on the 598 and still not much but prefer the slight sound stage increase like I said not really a big price difference. Also the color looks better imo

If you have 200 and you want soundstage, get K7xx

I didn't really like them, but I seem to be the only one so...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I didn't really like them, but I seem to be the only one so...

Headphones are subjective, so there's bound to be people on both sides. Personally I've fallen in love with the Beyerdynamic house sound signature over the years, but despite my love for it, particularly the DT990 Prems, a lot of people dislike them generally due to their brightness or recessed mids.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Headphones are subjective, so there's bound to be people on both sides. Personally I've fallen in love with the Beyerdynamic house sound signature over the years, but despite my love for it, particularly the DT990 Prems, a lot of people dislike them generally due to their brightness or recessed mids.

Beyerdynamic 4ever.

do you have an amp? you mentioned the schiit stack so I'm guessing you have... because to enjoy the DT990 to the fullest you NEED an amp. On the other hand, these are incredible, they have a nice V shaped signature (they can be a little too bright in some situations) but the soundstage is truly nice and suprisingly they have pretty good bass unlike most open headphones

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

do you have an amp? you mentioned the schiit stack so I'm guessing you have... because to enjoy the DT990 to the fullest you NEED an amp.

wrong

do you have an amp? you mentioned the schiit stack so I'm guessing you have... because to enjoy the DT990 to the fullest you NEED an amp. On the other hand, these are incredible, they have a nice V shaped signature (they can be a little too bright in some situations) but the soundstage is truly nice and suprisingly they have pretty good bass unlike most open headphones

Don't talk such rot.

Don't talk such rot.

well... it's true :\

wrong

care to explain? I'm talking about the dt990 pro 250ohm versions... the 600ohm versions do need an amp aswell... so either you're wrong or you're talking about the 80ohm versions

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

well... it's true :\

Sorry, no. An amp will make things louder unless you have a really shitty source to begin with.

Sorry, no. An amp will make things louder unless you have a really shitty source to begin with.

uhm... no. I've tried the dt990 pro 250ohms without amp on various sources and it just sounded weak... I mean the soundstage and all was there but they weren't reaching the frequencies that are expected... with an amp on the other hand the sound is richer (and louder ofc)... without an amp you can barely reach 20hz before the headphones giving up already  ... so my guess for saying that is that you never tried the 990's with an amp, otherwise I'm sure you would differ your opinion 

uhm... no. I've tried the dt990 pro 250ohms without amp on various sources and it just sounded weak... I mean the soundstage and all was there but they weren't reaching the frequencies that are expected... with an amp on the other hand the sound is richer (and louder ofc)... without an amp you can barely reach less than 20hz without the headphones giving up already... so my guess for saying that is that you never tried the 990's with an amp, otherwise I'm sure you would differ your opinion 

"Richer". Sure. I've definitely tried my headphone with an amp.

"Richer". Sure. I've definitely tried my headphone with an amp.

than you should know the sound is better... unless we have diffrent versions of dt990's