Australian researchers make quantum computing breakthrough.

Australian researchers are claiming that they have figured out how to make quantum logic gates in silicon chips. It is believes that this could pave the way to mass manufacturing of quantum processors and making quantum computing viable. 

Quoted from The Sydney Morning Herald:

"For decades scientists have been trying to turn quantum computing — which allows for multiple calculations to happen at once, making it immeasurably faster than standard computing — into a practical reality rather than a moonshot theory. Until now, they have largely relied on "exotic" materials to construct quantum computers, making them unsuitable for commercial production.

But researchers at the University of New South Wales have patented a new design, published in the scientific journal Nature on Tuesday, created specifically with computer industry manufacturing standards in mind and using affordable silicon, which is found in regular computer chips like those we use every day in smartphones or tablets.

1444072363142.jpg

UNSW's Professor Andrew Dzurak. Photo: Supplied

"Our team at UNSW has just cleared a major hurdle to making quantum computing a reality," the director of the university's Australian National Fabrication Facility, Andrew Dzurak, the project's leader, said."

Source:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/australian-researchers-make-quantum-computing-breakthrough-paving-way-for-worldfirst-chip-20151005-gk1bov.html

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Dang.

If only they had the internet to publish everything they find.

Dang.

I knew someone was going to say that.

Dang.

Don't need no internet, we can use two cans attached with a string.

Dang.

HAHA REKTTT

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

1. #fucktelstra

2. Now if only we had the funding to prevent this from getting sold to another country.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hopefully this is something we can commercialize and boost our dying economy.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Hopefully we can capitalize on this and start a new CPU company in Australia that uses this new method.

We will call it "Straya Chips."

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Haha. I would invest in that.

Hopefully we can capitalize on this and start a new CPU company in Australia that uses this new method.

With salt and vinegar!

Wouldn't this go in tech news?

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Wouldn't this go in tech news?

Good point! Who has the power to move this there?

sounds like a name for a snack.

Good point! Who has the power to move this there?

A mod could, lets ask @ixi_your_face to move it.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

"I'd like some straya chips and a couple pieces of flake m8"

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Wow. Australia beat Canada.

Good goin', guys :D

Don't forget we also beat the US-they are the ones who normally by technology from us (eg. Metal Storm: 

).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Quantum computing thread turned Australian patriotism lol 

Wow. Australia beat Canada.

Good goin', guys :D

Don't worry, our internet is almost as bad

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

now put an australian price tag on it and other countries will prefer to make their own :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

now put an australian price tag on it and other countries will prefer to make their own :P

We'll probably have to anyways - all the sockets will be mounted upside down otherwise

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This is actually pretty amazing, but I find it so hard to believe. I just cant accept this, it cant be.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

This is actually pretty amazing, but I find it so hard to believe. I just cant accept this, it cant be.

Yeah we never even got Graphene processors!?  There is a process here people, get in line!

@killcomic

I'd flesh out the post with quotes and get it moved to tech news, this doesn't belong here :P