5820k stable 4.5ghz @ 1.25v - should I go higher? with a better cooler?

currently running a H75 AIO (120mm, thin rad, two loud fans) - on a cold day it keeps the package temps below 80 deg (core 2 goes to around 83 degrees) running XTU.

Ive run 4.7ghz @ 1.25v for a few hours, gaming and unity didn't crash but XTU gave up after 10 mins...

summer is almost here - I don't want to push more voltage with the temps I am getting.

question 1: How much more frequency am I likely to get given the seemingly good chip I have, if I could cool it a little better?

question 2: How much cooler will the chip run if I move to a H110i GTX

p.s: day to day I don't plan to run over 4.5ghz but for benching I want to run higher.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

currently running a H75 AIO (120mm, thin rad, two loud fans) - on a cold day it keeps the package temps below 80 deg (core 2 goes to around 83 degrees) running XTU.

Ive run 4.7ghz @ 1.25v for a few hours, gaming and unity didn't crash but XTU gave up after 10 mins...

summer is almost here - I don't want to push more voltage with the temps I am getting.

question 1: How much more frequency am I likely to get given the seemingly good chip I have, if I could cool it a little better?

p.s: day to day I don't plan to run over 4.5ghz but for benching I want to run higher.

My 5960x runs 5Ghz just barely and it's stable on my Swiftech cooler

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

If you really want a better OC, get a better cooler.

Also, on your "p.s: day to day I don't plan to run over 4.5ghz but for benching I want to run higher.", why not? OCing is free extra processing power, you might as well keep the OC.

Good luck!

I used to be quite active here.

You could probably get 4.7ghz with a H100i or X61 but if your contempt at your current point then you can stick with your current cooler

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

1: Nothing. As long as it doesn't reach TJ max the temperature doesn't matter.

2: I can not say anything for sure here, but I guess probably 10-15°C. Maybe you can find some benchmarks to be sure.

I feel you mate. I think here in NSW it was 35 yesterday? I miss winter already. During winter my idle water temps were around 22 but that was with an ambient of 5 degrees C. But now i start of with 27c. Problem is the ventilation in the conputer room. When all the air is gone pc recycles the hot air xD. Then again I can always turn the airconditioning on. Maybe if you could have good ambient temps and a better cooler why not? Your not going to be running it 24/7 anyways.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

You could probably get 4.7ghz with a H100i or X61 but if your contempt at your current point then you can stick with your current cooler

4.7 is top 5% of 5820k's my binnned one will do 4.7 @ 1.29v but at that voltage a H110i GTX struggles to keep it cool while folding overnight.

@Cheddle Your chip seems pretty average, try for 4.6. It'll be a quite alot of voltage for your chip by the way the scaling is looking.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

My 5960x runs 5Ghz just barely and it's stable on my Swiftech cooler

is that the Swiftech 240? do you use it exclusivly for the CPU? if so what temps are you looking at?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

4.7 is top 5% of 5820k's my binnned one will do 4.7 @ 1.3v but at that voltage a H110i GTX struggles to keep it cool while folding overnight.

ok, thanks. Does it throttle overnight? how long does it take to reach "heat soak"?

ok, thanks. Does it throttle overnight? how long does it take to reach "heat soak"?

No, It doesn't throttle but it gets into the low 80's. only takes an hour for the liquid temp to hit 42c even with the fans at like 1800 RPM.

is that the Swiftech 240? do you use it exclusivly for the CPU? if so what temps are you looking at?

Under load I get 55C and 40C when I'm not but it usually sits right in between.

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

I have an H220X because the H440X was unavailable at the time of purchase

4.7 is top 5% of 5820k's my binnned one will do 4.7 @ 1.29v but at that voltage a H110i GTX struggles to keep it cool while folding overnight.

@Cheddle Your chip seems pretty average, try for 4.6. It'll be a quite alot of voltage for your chip by the way the scaling is looking.

TBH Ive not tried lower than 1.25v - my board had a preset for 4.2ghz @ 1.25v - I flicked the switch and then bumped it to 4.5ghz - it stable and temps are "ok" so I didnt try to lower it, as I said 4.7ghz was fine all day until I ran XTU

not sure if the move from H75 to H110i GTX for 200mhz is worth. 

I have an H220X because the H440X was unavailable at the time of purchase

proof of this 5ghz 5960x at 5ghz on a mediocre AIO?

I don't believe you, if you aren't bullshitting your chip is worth 2k USD+

I backed my 5820k overclock off a bit yesterday, it was so hot here on the Gold Coast.

Went back down to 4.2Ghz@1.19v, personally I find that fine for day to day use and temps never went over 63c running AIDA64 for 5 hours.

But I have a Corsair H110 cooler, even when I went to 4.5Ghz@1.25v it would only 68c.

Here's my 4.2Ghz run oh and the air con was turned off at this point..lol..:

post-59432-0-52655200-1444082126_thumb.p

proof of this 5ghz 5960x at 5ghz on a mediocre AIO?

I don't believe you, if you aren't bullshitting your chip is worth 2k USD+

Agreed! Unless he has the golden sample 5960X and lives in the North Pole that is hard to believe. Mine is running at 4.5GHz with 1.275V and my H110 barely keeps up with temps going to 81-82C. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Agreed! Unless he has the golden sample 5960X and lives in the North Pole that is hard to believe. Mine is running at 4.5GHz with 1.275V and my H110 barely keeps up with temps going to 81-82C. 

Curious why your name is X99 overclocking expert when your board doesn't even have OC Socket.

*grabs popcorn* *takes notes*

Curious why your name is X99 overclocking expert when your board doesn't even have OC Socket.

Many reasons, but I don't wanna hijack the OP thread.

PS: The OC socket is not the be-all and end-all. It's not like everyone will be overclocking on LN2 and using up to 2.2V. For normal overclocking and tinkering with LGA 2011-3 chips within the safe-zone (1.4V) the normal socket is more than enough.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I backed my 5820k overclock off a bit yesterday, it was so hot here on the Gold Coast.

Went back down to 4.2Ghz@1.19v, personally I find that fine for day to day use and temps never went over 63c running AIDA64 for 5 hours.

But I have a Corsair H110 cooler, even when I went to 4.5Ghz@1.25v it would only 68c.

Here's my 4.2Ghz run oh and the air con was turned off at this point..lol..:

attachicon.gif22104fb9_IMG.png

Thanks - those temps are really what I am looking to see - I feel that gives some headroom for higher voltages and in turn higher clock speeds... I think I will go buy a h110i GTX - see how it goes. I am in Hobart so our summer is more like your winter (I was up your way in June and 24 degrees at 8pm was prime) 

the difference in temps is just really so small, around 10 degrees for a radiator over twice the size...

PS: The OC socket is not the be-all and end-all. It's not like everyone will be overclocking on LN2 and using up to 2.2V.  

feel free too - this thread is about overclocking a 5820k - specifically in my case I cant really push my volts any higher thanks to temps... other info related to achieving a higher clock is relevant.

feel free too - this thread is about overclocking a 5820k - specifically in my case I cant really push my volts any higher thanks to temps... other info related to achieving a higher clock is relevant.

Well, if you really want to know...

When it comes to X99 just overclocking the CPU frequency is not enough by increasing the multiplier and voltage is not enough. There are also BCLK, Filter PLL, CPU input Voltage, which more or less play a very big role in CPU overclocking, depending on your board. Not to mention CPU cache and memory overclocking. I consider myself an overclocking expert, because I really push all aspects of the hardware involved and pretty much know the ins and outs of how to get every last drop of performance my setup has to offer (with my current cooling solution). If I get an external triple or quad rad, I am sure I can get at least 4.6-4.7GHz out my processor, easy. 

I spent two entire weeks trying to get my 3000MHz DDR4 to work at their rated speed without issues. After hours on the phone with ASRock support and trying BETA BIOSes they finally gave up and removed their 3000MHZ certified memory kits from their support site, because they obviously didn't work properly and said they can't do nothing about it and obviously the memory controller on the 5960X I got was bad. After that, you know what, instead of aiming for 3000MHz (and its default settings as specified in XMP), I went strait to 3333MHz and after some time of tinkering with the latency, command rate and other memory related stuff, I got that working fine without pushing the voltage of the memory at all.  

PS: The OC socket is not the be-all and end-all. It's not like everyone will be overclocking on LN2 and using up to 2.2V. For normal overclocking and tinkering with LGA 2011-3 chips within the safe-zone (1.4V) the normal socket is more than enough.  

I use bus interconnect voltage on a daily basis for cache, thats how I run cache at 1.25v for 4.5. without OC socket it wouldn't do anything past 4.2.

Also extra memory voltages VL4 & VL5 is VERY helpful.

Not flaming just wondering why you went with that board. :P

Well, if you really want to know...

When it comes to X99 just overclocking the CPU frequency is not enough by increasing the multiplier and voltage is not enough. There are also BCLK, Filter PLL, CPU input Voltage, which more or less play a very big role in CPU overclocking, depending on your board. Not to mention CPU cache and memory overclocking. I consider myself an overclocking expert, because I really push all aspects of the hardware involved and pretty much know the ins and outs of how to get every last drop of performance my setup has to offer (with my current cooling solution). If I get an external triple or quad rad, I am sure I can get at least 4.6-4.7GHz out my processor, easy. 

I spent two entire weeks trying to get my 3000MHz DDR4 to work at their rated speed without issues. After hours on the phone with ASRock support and trying BETA BIOSes they finally gave up and removed their 3000MHZ certified memory kits from their support site, because they obviously didn't work properly and said they can't do nothing about it and obviously the memory controller on the 5960X I got was bad. After that, you know what, instead of aiming for 3000MHz (and its default settings as specified in XMP), I went strait to 3333MHz and after some time of tinkering with the latency, command rate and other memory related stuff, I got that working fine without pushing the voltage of the memory at all.  

TBH I havnt looked at OCing memory - no firestrike points for ram speed...

so lets say you pushed as far as your could with multi and core volts, and you deiced to up a few other voltage settings to support your core voltage... and thats all - how much more speed can you generally get by then stepping into BCLK changes? I cant imagine it ever being more than 100mhz...