Can I trust power supply calculators?

tnguyen2905
Go to solution Solved by themaniac,

keep the GS its better quality, the cx was a waste of money, its a very bad psu and no do not trust the calculators

I have been to numerous wattage calculators and have all said my system takes around 400-410 watts and recommends a power supply at 475ish. I currently have a corsair GS600, but I purchased a CX500M because it was on sale and modular. Can someone please recommend me a wattage based on these specs?

I7-4770k @4.5 ghz

Gigabyte gtx 970

Asus Maximus vii hero

X2 8gb ddr3 ram

Corsair h75

4 system fans

Ssd

Hdd

they are pretty accurate it doesn't hurt anything to get a bigger psu than you need.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I have been to numerous wattage calculators and have all said my system takes around 400-410 watts and recommends a power supply at 475ish. I currently have a corsair GS600, but I purchased a CX500M because it was on sale and modular. Can someone please recommend me a wattage based on these specs?

I7-4770k @4.5 ghz

Gigabyte gtx 970

Asus Maximus vii hero

X2 8gb ddr3 ram

Corsair h75

4 system fans

Ssd

Hdd

yeah about 450-500w is about right for that build. I would get 650w psu

keep the GS its better quality, the cx was a waste of money, its a very bad psu and no do not trust the calculators

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

A) That power supply is no good. Return it, money thrown into a pit pf garbage.

B) 500 is a bit low, usually add about 100ws to what those calculators say.

C) Throw thst PSU away again before bad things happen.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

It's not a bad PSU. It's just not made for gaming rigs.

I7-4770k @4.5 ghz

Gigabyte gtx 970

Asus Maximus vii hero

X2 8gb ddr3 ram

Corsair h75

4 system fans

Ssd

Hdd

500W is enough for that system easily. An EVGA 550W GS would be money spent far better.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It's not a bad PSU. It's just not made for gaming rigs.

its bad since you can get better for the same if not lower price

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

PSU calculators are random bullshit generators.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I7-4770k @4.5 ghz

Gigabyte gtx 970

Asus Maximus vii hero

X2 8gb ddr3 ram

Corsair h75

4 system fans

Ssd

Hdd

kug kug

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

its bad since you can get better for the same if not lower price

If you think like that, then everyone should buy Palit graphics cards, cause these ususally provide the best price to performance.

Everything else must be bad then.  :rolleyes: 

How can someone be so close-minded...

If you think like that, then everyone should buy Palit graphics cards, cause these ususally provide the best price to performance.

Everything else must be bad then.  :rolleyes: 

How can someone be so close-minded...

i want quality psu's why should i spend $60 on a cx( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500m ) when i can get a better one for $45( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr ) also the palit cards are lower quality and have worse coolers thats why they are cheaper

Spoiler

i want quality psu's why should i spend $60 on a cx( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500m ) when i can get a better one for $45( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr ) also the palit cards are lower quality and have worse coolers thats why they are cheaper

You don't seem to get it...

You don't seem to get it...

no you dont, quality over crap

Spoiler

no you dont, quality over crap

You argue about something I never argued against.

That's great.