anti-static gloves. diy ?

givingtnt

so if I were to turn anti-static bags inside out.  and put my hand in them to make a pc... would it be ok ?

just wondering...    perhaps some anti-static gloves ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

What the actual fuck.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

so if I were to turn anti-static bags inside out.  and put my hand in them to make a pc... would it be ok ?

just wondering...    perhaps some anti-static gloves ?

No, because the way a anti static bag works is like a faraday cage.

What the actual fuck.

sais the guy with pa profile picture of a girl with headphones on her boobs

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Don't see why you would, an anti-static strap is really all you need (and sometimes not even that)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

No, because the way a anti static bag works is like a faraday cage.

Some actually don't use the Faraday Cage method, they actually just have an extremely high resistance.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Some actually don't use the Faraday Cage method, they actually just have an extremely high resistance.

Not really.

"To create the anti-static effect, the black or silver bags are slightly conductive, forming a Faraday cage around the item to be protected and preventing any localized charges from being deposited onto the protected devices as the bags are handled."

Not really.

"To create the anti-static effect, the black or silver bags are slightly conductive, forming a Faraday cage around the item to be protected and preventing any localized charges from being deposited onto the protected devices as the bags are handled."

Read my post again, I said that SOME anti-static bags don't act as Faraday Cages and instead just have high resistance, although they are usually called Static Suppressing bags, they are sometimes called anti-static. I never said that Faraday Cages act through resistance. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Nope, you need to be grounded, using anti-static bags will not help you at all.

Just touch some metal thing that is grounded and take off your clothes.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Just get a wrist strap and clip it to your chassis if your power supply has an off switch. Install the supply and make sure it is off, O not 1, keep it plugged in and clip your wrist strap to somewhere like an edge or fan grill and that'll be good (as long as your outlets are properly grounded). You really have to just get a strap or gloves and be careful. There isn't any more to it than that because to really be 100 percent sure you need very special dedicated ESD testers and clothing as well as properly documented procedures, special work environment. All that stuff is complicated and expensive.

Just doing simple things like the wrist strap, applying lotion to your wrist area and not wearing static producing clothes and no shoes or not building on carpet will cover you 95 percent.

You thought you could slip that through unnoticed.

I never used Anti Static stuff and never killed hardware. Just touch the heater in your room and your done.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I never used Anti Static stuff and never killed hardware. Just touch the heater in your room and your done.

Agreed, but if OP insists for the gloves - check a store, that sells work clothes. They should have gloves, that are used by electricians for working with street electricity wires.

You thought you could slip that through unnoticed.

Nope, never, I really meant that.

It works, no clothes = less chance of your body to increase its static charge.

Nope, never, I really meant that.

It works, no clothes = less chance of your body to increase its static charge.

Also it means being naked while working on electronics like a weirdo.

A weirdo?, what's wrong with being naked while building computers?, is not like you are going to let people see you :P .

next on ltt

building a pc with your son !

naked !

and only while it is raining. high humidity =low static

You don't need to turn it inside out...

Literally why, grounding yourself periodically is enough a wrist band is all you will ever need if you want to be sure, you could even just tape a wire to your skin and use it as a ceap wrist band if you really want to be downtown laval ghetto

Agreed, but if OP insists for the gloves - check a store, that sells work clothes. They should have gloves, that are used by electricians for working with street electricity wires.

Those won't do anything for ESD, they're just so you don't get shocked and rely on brute dielectric resistance. No offence intended.

That's okay though if one is a fine lady. Fine ladies tend to be very static-y !

Those won't do anything for ESD, they're just so you don't get shocked and rely on brute dielectric resistance. No offence intended.

Non taken :) 

Honestly, most of us don't use gloves and everything is fine, it just sucks when you are that ONE person that blows something up. Look...Linus is a bad example, he never uses protection   :lol:

@Linus...still love you man !