GTX 970 vs R9 390

Subduck
Go to solution Solved by Sammael,

This is the most confusing topic i have ever started...

It's actually not so bad.  The people telling you to get the 970 are advising you to buy a slower card for the same money, that already does worse on average than a 390 today in dx11, and with a gap that will almost certainly widen with more dx12 titles.

The reason they do this is because they love nvidia, and want to see them dominate the sales charts.  In the end, they don't care if nvidia releases a slower card, they just want their own brand loyalty validated and reinforced by others choosing the inferior part like they did.  Actually, that goes too far, if they got a 970 when it launched it made more sense, if they got one after the 390 was released, the tweaked Hawaii part, they chose the slower horse and are desperately seeking validation through the purchases of others.  It's quite transparent.  Do not follow them into the abyss of inferior performance, they will lead you down the path of darkness and slower framerates and lower minimum frames in gpu ram heavy games and dx12 titles.

Doesn't look cherry picked, the 390/x club in ocn have multiple dudes getting 1200mhz on their msi cards. 

Dude Im not gonna argue. There's a lot of people with great overclocking cards but doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have issues. AMD drivers suck period. Like now Im having problems with gta 5 when I try to turn up graphics settings above high my gpu usage lowers dramatically 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Yeah. Honestly I don't have a lot of games as of now. But with BioShock Infinite Maxed 1440p + DDOF I get 81 fps, GTA 5 1440p With High/Very High Settings 62 fps. I won't argue though. The 390x is a more powerful card but for the price of a 390x you can get 2 290s or in my case 3. I just recommended to OP not to get one right now if they want a good deal. However the Gigabyte 390 is at a pretty good price but obviously its not the best 390. I might get a 390 for crossfire if they go below $250 and maybe I can find a refurbished or open box one. 

Indeed, 290 is still the performance/buck king if you can find one and the 390/970 follow closely behind. 

for the record, my 970 has no problems at all running shadow of morder with the ultra hd texture pack at 1080.  not 60fps of course(neither does the 390 btw), but more than playable.  not saying its better, but they do trade blows. 

get the one thats cheaper. unless you care about shadowplay or temperatures/power requirements.

Either something is wrong with your card or that VRAM limitation actually happened since my card happily sit over 60fps most of the time in SOM with UHD textures @1080p.

*Jay Tbh MSI def cherry picked that one. And really, just look on Newegg and see the reviews of people who actually bought these cards. Their complaints are more or less the same of the people who bought the 390(x) and the 290(x) except AMD fixed the black screen issue at launch

I believed he bought it retail so i don't think he cherry picked the card. Many guys in OCN also confirmed MSI 390 series overclock better compare to other brands.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Dude Im not gonna argue. There's a lot of people with great overclocking cards but doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have issues. AMD drivers suck period. Like now Im having problems with gta 5 when I try to turn up graphics settings above high my gpu usage lowers dramatically 

Yea, AMD drivers aren't the best. But decreasing GPU usage while increasing graphical settings is an user problem. Can't blame amd for that now, can you? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah, I'd have to say that right now an accurate statement is drivers suck period.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yeah, I'd have to say that right now an accurate statement is drivers suck period.

Work just fine for me.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Either something is wrong with your card or that VRAM limitation actually happened since my card happily sit over 60fps most of the time in SOM with UHD textures @1080p.

ill have to check it again when i get home.  its been a while and theres been a few updates and drivers since i last played it, so it may be perfectly fine now. i do remember how well optimized that game was though.  and yea for the most part it stayed up really well, but there was moments where it would dip at inconvenient times

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

How do you know?

Now what an odd question to ask...  :blink:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I feel like I need to add to the driver problem BS people have been spitting around. I have a 970 and I'm getting blank screens with 355.82. Good thing g the fixed that with the newer update.

Now what an odd question to ask...  :blink:

Not really. I haven't had an issue but I also don't discount those who say they have. And since there is a pretty large population of players complaining about drivers, I'd say there is a strong possibility a problem exists. And if you don't think you have a problem, you could just be acclimated to the problem.

Not really. I haven't had an issue but I also don't discount those who say they have. And since there is a pretty large population of players complaining about drivers, I'd say there is a strong possibility a problem exists. And if you don't think you have a problem, you could just be acclimated to the problem.

Well with a couple of peeps experiencing driver crashes in win 10. Nvidia and AMD have fixed many of those problems. What other problems are other peeps facing? 

Same goes for Nvidia but their drivers not sucks?

And i said the drivers work just fine for me.

Yea, AMD drivers aren't the best. But decreasing GPU usage while increasing graphical settings is an user problem. Can't blame amd for that now, can you? 

How is it my problem? Especially when I increase tessellation my gpu usage just fluctuates. That being said some 390x users can't even get the game to load without crashing. I don't know if you just misunderstood me or something. But being an AMD fanboy doesn't benefit anybody. I bought the card and I expect it to work properly. 

How is it my problem? Especially when I increase tessellation my gpu usage just fluctuates. That being said some 390x users can't even get the game to load without crashing. I don't know if you just misunderstood me or something. But being an AMD fanboy doesn't benefit anybody. I bought the card and I expect it to work properly. 

Grass, tessellation, sliders especially in advanced settings will rekt the driver CPU overhead hence lower GPU usage so turn it down a notch or 2.

Need to learn the card strong and weak points so you can enjoy it to the fullest.

Work just fine for me.

and me

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Grass, tessellation, sliders especially in advanced settings will rekt the driver CPU overhead hence lower GPU usage so turn it down a notch or 2.

Need to learn the card strong and weak points so you can enjoy it to the fullest.

? I have a 5820k. And my r9 290 runs just fine until I turn up tessellation. If my CPU is being bottlenecked then that's the driver issue. I don't need the graphics cranked up. But why would I have to sacrifice that?  

Fanboy? Excuse me? Now that's a first that anyone has called me an AMD fanboy. That's insulting. A game can crash/not perform well for loads of reasons, and the problem you've experienced I've yet to hear. Much less experience it myself. 

Fanboy? Do me a favour and restrain yourself from bringing that fanboy BS to this. I don't give bias to AMD. Even if you were to own a Geforce card and say you've had this problem. I'll still call it user error since no one else has claimed to experience this.

I've even recommended a 980 over a 390x on another thread and I still have someone calling me a fucking fanboy? What the fuck? 

Fanboy? Excuse me? Now that's a first that anyone has called me an AMD fanboy. That's insulting. A game can crash/not perform well for loads of reasons, and the problem you've experienced I've yet to hear. Much less experience it myself. 

Fanboy? Do me a favour and restrain yourself from bringing that fanboy BS to this. I don't give bias to AMD. Even if you were to own a Geforce card and say you've had this problem. I'll still call it user error since no one else has claimed to experience this.

I've even recommended a 980 over a 390x on another thread and I still have someone calling me a fucking fanboy? What the fuck? 

If it offends you that much that you need to curse I'm sorry. All I mentioned is that I am having issues with GTA 5 and just recently I also had issues in BioShock as well. The specific problem that I was having is when I turned tessellation to high or shadow resolution to very high the GPU usage would fluctuate drastically. But with most settings on high it works fine and I get around 55- 70fps at 1440p. If you accept that I am having problems then I wouldn't consider you a fanboy. But people who use their own experiences as the sole judgement of a company and don't consider other people's issues is what I would call a fanboy.

If it offends you that much that you need to curse I'm sorry. All I mentioned is that I am having issues with GTA 5 and just recently I also had issues in BioShock as well. The specific problem that I was having is when I turned tessellation to high or shadow resolution to very high the GPU usage would fluctuate drastically. But with most settings on high it works fine and I get around 55- 70fps at 1440p. If you accept that I am having problems then I wouldn't consider you a fanboy. But people who use their own experiences as the sole judgement of a company and don't consider other people's issues is what I would call a fanboy.

Excuse me? Who do you think you are? First you insult me and now you want me to accept your statement just so I can change your opinion about me being a fanboy? If you've read my previous posts, I've already acknowledged your problem. I don't only use my experience but the experience of others as well.

I do not judge any company. My experience is my own with the product. If you were to judge a company while ignoring other's experience then that goes against your statement. Don't contradict yourself.

To call me a fanboy just because I think your problem is a user problem? Absurd. I don't really wish to converse with you any longer.

Same goes for Nvidia but their drivers not sucks?

And i said the drivers work just fine for me.

Did I mention a brand? No, I'm not blinded by brand loyalty. And read what I wrote, how do you KNOW you're not having a problem. A lack of knowledge of a problem does not remove the problem. I don't notice anything ether but that doesn't mean I'm not having an issue. O ask because I'm genuinely interested. If you tell me how you know you're not having an issue then I can share in that knowledge

The ONLY people who say Shadowplay isnt good are those who have NEVER used it 

I've used shadowplay extensively and I dislike it.

Excuse me? Who do you think you are? First you insult me and now you want me to accept your statement just so I can change your opinion about me being a fanboy? If you've read my previous posts, I've already acknowledged your problem. I don't only use my experience but the experience of others as well.

I do not judge any company. My experience is my own with the product. If you were to judge a company while ignoring other's experience then that goes against your statement. Don't contradict yourself.

To call me a fanboy just because I think your problem is a user problem? Absurd. I don't really wish to converse with you any longer.

I did not mean to insult you. And if you are having a great experience I am glad for you. And I don't think that my problem is specific to me alone. Please read a non tech site review of a 390 series card. Plenty of people are having driver issues. Currently I am trying out the beta drivers. Hopefully they work well, I really like my r9 290.

Did I mention a brand? No, I'm not blinded by brand loyalty. And read what I wrote, how do you KNOW you're not having a problem. A lack of knowledge of a problem does not remove the problem. I don't notice anything ether but that doesn't mean I'm not having an issue. O ask because I'm genuinely interested. If you tell me how you know you're not having an issue then I can share in that knowledge

You did mentioned AMD?

Nice spin. Because i didn't encounter any issue and that's how i know i don't have any issue with the driver?

You did mentioned AMD?

Nice spin. Because i didn't encounter any issue and that's how i know i don't have any issue with the driver?

No, I never mentioned any brand. And no spin, I have had a modern gaming computer for exactly one month. As such I ask questions so I can learn. No worries, I'll learn how to tell if you're having issues you might not be aware of from someone else.