Which language should i learn for making games

FilipSebik
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

C# And use Unity as a game engine 

Edit:

Unity PERSONAL EDITION is Free to use unless you make $100,000 in a yearly cycle, then you have to buy Unity Pro. Even then, $100 dollars and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

https://unity3d.com/unity/personal-edition

Title. If asked which langague i want to know then C# and Java

C# And use Unity as a game engine 

Edit:

Unity PERSONAL EDITION is Free to use unless you make $100,000 in a yearly cycle, then you have to buy Unity Pro. Even then, $100 dollars and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

https://unity3d.com/unity/personal-edition

C# is a good one to learn, it's pretty versatile. Java is also good, but not so much for games (can be used, but it's not as powerful as variations of C). C (and C#, C++ and so on) are object based languages, which are often used for games. Learning any of them will give you a good understanding for how they're structured, and after learning that, the others are much easier to pick up. 

Java, is easier and multiplatform but will take more development time to optimize for lower end pcs

C++ is windows only but is relatively light on hardware

pick your poison, windows only or having to optimize

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Java is really big in this world, a couple of old guys I know had to reeducate themselves because their companies switched to Java.

For gaming it might not be the greatest but for all other applications it is great.

https://www.codecademy.com/ is a great free site where you can learn how to code.

If you like videos more than exercises I would recommend Lynda.com 

Use the Linus thingy to get a month for free or if you are in college check if they have a license for you available. (I got mine for €20 for a year)

Started Folding@Home on 02-05-2015

Java is really big in this world, a couple of old guys I know had to reeducate themselves because their companies switched to Java.

For gaming it might not be the greatest but for all other applications it is great.

https://www.codecademy.com/ is a great free site where you can learn how to code.

If you like videos more than exercises I would recommend Lynda.com 

Use the Linus thingy to get a month for free or if you are in college check if they have a license for you available. (I got mine for €20 for a year)

The only reason I don't recommend Java is because the optimization is a mess.

I understand it's multi-platform but that's what makes it sloppy and ultimately inefficient.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

C++ and Unreal Engine 4 or...

C# and Unity.

Seriously though, Unreal Engine is absurdly awesome for what you get. I love making levels in UE4. I usually just take some pictures for textures, put them in CrazyBump (free), and just start building levels. You can also get started with blueprint. I don't know how advanced you are, but here's what can be done in UE4. Still, for some reason I kind of prefer Unity of Unreal Engine, from a usability standpoint.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

C++ for UE4 and C# for Unity. I'd start with Unity, it's really simple and easy, in fact I made both my entries for the UltraWideFestival fo Linus and UnboxTherapy using Unity and it was fairly easy (But keep in mind I already had experience with Unity and been programming for a long time)

Stay away from java. C++ or C# are your best bets for game development.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Oooh, don't make the same mistake Minecraft did, don't use Java for games, it's great for some other things, but not games. You can go deep down and dirty with C++ and write your own game engine (good luck lol), or use a ready made game engine like Unreal Engine or Unity, it's up to you to choose the 'religion'.

So thanks everyone and i will go with C# and Unity for now and i will see then which programming language will use my teacher of programming on my school.