Problems with FPS games today? your views and opinions

MzCatieB

It isnt a hold your ground and make small concentrated assaults, its a run and gun if not a twitch game. 

When I played it it felt like a twitch game to me, not anything like a tactical FPS. 

I agree, CS is definitely a twitch game, those that say otherwise are just fanboys. CS wasn't ever that good, but it sure does have it fair share of fanboys.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I agree, CS is definitely a twitch game, those that say otherwise are just fanboys. CS wasn't ever that good, but it sure does have it fair share of fanboys.

It is a twitch game, but there's more planning that goes on in this game than any other multiplayer shooters I've seen. Of course not everyone is willing to strategize, but more people are willing than any other community I've encountered. Especially in competitive mode.

I'm not being a fanboy, I've got GO 2 months ago and still suck. That's my first CS game, too. I'm trying to be unbiased, here. You're syaing anyone who thinks CS is not just a twitch game are fanboys? That's a really bold statement.

FPS is a wide range. CoD is nothing like Planetside 2, nor is it intended to be. Please give an example of what kind of FPS you're making. Does it have vehicles? How realistic is it? (bullet drop etc.) 

"An Excellent Signature"

It is a twitch game, but there's more planning that goes on in this game than any other multiplayer shooters I've seen. Of course not everyone is willing to strategize, but more people are willing than any other community I've encountered. Especially in competitive mode.

I'm not being a fanboy, I've got GO 2 months ago and still suck. That's my first CS game, too. I'm trying to be unbiased, here. Calling anyone who thinks CS is not just a twitch game are fanboys? That's a really bold statement.

Well, to be fair it's been a long long time since I played CS. Teamwork and strategy wise I think Medal of Honor Warfight is probably the best, although it too is a twitch game, but far less of a run and gun game than say like CoD or CS.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

What I really hate is that they all hold your hand, and not doing something the exact way they wanted you to is forbidden...  It's like when you see this awesome landscape, and all these cool ways to get somewhere, so then when you try to go one of those ways it just says, NOPE!    In some of the worst cases the game actually just randomly kills you for going a different way.. ( Radiation, desertion, and dead zones? )    Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! for the love of god do not have magical doors that don't open at all, or ones that are somehow closed even though you just broke them down 10 seconds earlier...  Plus while I'm at it, having way too many cut scenes, stupid quick time events, and way too many pre-scripted events are just in poor taste..

I'm sorry for the long post, but there's a lot that's wrong with FPS games.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

What I really hate is that they all hold your hand, and not doing something the exact way they wanted you to is forbidden...  It's like when you see this awesome landscape, and all these cool ways to get somewhere, so then when you try to go one of those ways it just says, NOPE!    In some of the worst cases the game actually just randomly kills you for going a different way.. ( Radiation, desertion, and dead zones? )    Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! for the love of god do not have magical doors that don't open at all, or ones that are somehow closed even though you just broke them down 10 seconds earlier...  Plus while I'm at it, having way too many cut scenes, stupid quick time events, and way too many pre-scripted events are just in poor taste..

I'm sorry for the long post, but there's a lot that's wrong with FPS games.

You mean it's linear. Yeah, a lot of people are complaining about that nowadays. So a open world shooter is where you're getting at? What games are you speaking of when you say "too many cut scenes" and qte? Also, what do you mean by pre scripted?

You mean it's linear. Yeah, a lot of people are complaining about that nowadays. So a open world shooter is where you're getting at? What games are you speaking of when you say "too many cut scenes" and qte? Also, what do you mean by pre scripted?

Most of that is an over explanation on how FPS games any more are just set on rails, and they might as well just have an auto play button like Final Fantasyy X||| ...   Everything about them screams that it's an action movie, and you're not really part of it.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

It doesn't even need to be an open world on a large scale or anything, just not only being able to be in one room in a huge building for no apparent reason.

Just please make it faster paced, consoles has forced shooters to get slower and slower :(

WHAT????

Consoles combined with COD have had the complete opposite effect.

Thief, Battlefield and Crysis series are proof of that.

How about making interesting/unique weapons?

Try staying away from using weapons that only shoot bullets. It's okay to have a few, but there should be equal or more unique weapons.

Probably something like the Tribes games would be a good example.

Also, assuming that you're making a FPS for PC then try to get away from a slow movement system + sprinting if you can. Too many FPS implement that these days and it's gotten quite boring.

Another thing to stay away from is regenerating health. If you insist on including it, then at least implement it differently. A suggestion would be to make it only regenerate up to a certain point.

You could even throw in some kind of threshold system with that: After going below 90% health, the players health will only regenerate up to 90%. When it does regenerate up to 90%, then a 80% threshold becomes active. After that, when their health goes below 80%, it only regenerates up to 80%. Repeat for every 10%. 

This could possibly create a sense of danger for the player, forcing them to become more skilled to avoid making mistakes and lowering their health regeneration potential.

Of course all that would be meaningless if it only takes a few shots to kill someone like in most modern military shooters. So larger player health would also be a suggestion.

But I'm not a game designer, so take this with a pile of salt.

I guess what I'm looking for is something that feels completely unique from other shooters.

Sorry for throwing a lot out there, but I did forget one thing that bugs me a bunch... I hate it when you get to certain part, and then all of the sudden your gun is facing the ground and you can no longer run or do anything other than walk super slowly. WTF? It makes where all of the sudden I'm not in control anymore? Why does it seem like this happens in every game that comes out anymore; although, I guess that could go under the pre-scripted non-sense that happens.    I should be done now, since that's a lot of ranting..

a fast paced shooting mechanism where it's a bit more complicated than just centering your foe in the middle of the screen (*cough CoD)

a fast paced shooting mechanism where it's a bit more complicated than just centering your foe in the middle of the screen (*cough CoD)

Every shooter I can think of is about aiming at someone, but I'm figuring you're talking about things like bullet drop and spread? Yeah, with shooters that aim for graphics/realism, this can help. Depends on the approach, though.

It needs to be more realistic. Stealthier. Less running around. Maybe not planet side 2 organized but at least to where you cant just run around by yourself.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Well, to be fair it's been a long long time since I played CS. Teamwork and strategy wise I think Medal of Honor Warfight is probably the best, although it too is a twitch game, but far less of a run and gun game than say like CoD or CS.

Ha! 

Teamwork is KEY in CS! The reason people think otherwise is because they are playing casual 32 pub servers, DM or some other crazy CS mod. In that kind of setting, you're taking away so many elements of the game.

The game was always made for competitive 5v5, where knowing how to manage your economy wisely and equipment like flashes and smokes are more important than K/D. Watch a pro match from CS1.6, CSS or CSGO and you will not see anyone just "run and gun" like a game of CoD TDM.

For the OP, FPS are too linear and easy. You can't back-track in a lot of FPS nowadays, ammo is plenty to go around and you barely need to think about health. A lot of FPS, especially CoD and MoH, seem like interactive Micheal Bay movies to me.   

Ha! 

Teamwork is KEY in CS! The reason people think otherwise is because they are playing casual 32 pub servers, DM or some other crazy CS mod. In that kind of setting, you're taking away so many elements of the game.

The game was always made for competitive 5v5, where knowing how to manage your economy wisely and equipment like flashes and smokes are more important than K/D. Watch a pro match from CS1.6, CSS or CSGO and you will not see anyone just "run and gun" like a game of CoD TDM.

You can say the same about any fps, even CoD in competitive matches. It's not the game forcing you to be strategic, it's the players choosing to.

You know, I'll be honest. If it weren't limited exclusively to the Xbox, the Halo franchise would probably suit many of you quite well.

Teamwork is important for objective games, much higher skill gap than the likes of Call of Duty / Battlefield, unique sandbox elements, interesting and different weapon types, fast movement speed and best of all extremely responsive movement. Moving left to right in Halo is instantaneous, whereas in other shooters your character begrudgingly moves as sluggishly as possible. (This is especially true in Halo 4. The player's agility in that game is excellent)

It also focused on sandbox diversity. Certain weapons only work in certain situations - Sword and Shotgun work up close, Sniper works long-range, BR at mid-range etc.

Sigh. Curse you for not porting Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 to the PC, Microsoft. :(

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

You can say the same about any fps, even CoD in competitive matches. It's not the game forcing you to be strategic, it's the players choosing to.

Well, there goes your original argument "Teamwork and strategy wise I think Medal of Honor Warfight is probably the best" 

Every shooter I can think of is about aiming at someone, but I'm figuring you're talking about things like bullet drop and spread? Yeah, with shooters that aim for graphics/realism, this can help. Depends on the approach, though.

I was thinking of more like, bullets that are affected by gravity such as in BF3, which is one more mechanism, simple but makes you think, or having to aim ahead of your enemy, or having to consider the environment around you to shoot, etc.

Well, there goes your original argument "Teamwork and strategy wise I think Medal of Honor Warfight is probably the best" 

How so? Warfighter forces you to use strategy, by the way maps are laid out for each game type (maps change slightly depending on game type). If you try to run and gun, you'll run and be gunned down.

It needs to be more realistic. Stealthier. Less running around. Maybe not planet side 2 organized but at least to where you cant just run around by yourself.

Stealthy could work, but look what it did to Crysis 3 multiplayer :)

How so? Warfighter forces you to use strategy, by the way maps are laid out for each game type (maps change slightly depending on game type). If you try to run and gun, you'll run and be gunned down.

mk18 op

Stealthy could work, but look what it did to Crysis 3 multiplayer :)

I have never played Crisis. Yes I know. I really want to though.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

mk18 op

What? Can I have that in plain English please...

What? Can I have that in plain English please...

It was a joke :)

Last time I played mk18 was the perfect incentive for someone to rush around getting kills