Problems with FPS games today? your views and opinions

MzCatieB

The biggest thing that that I hate about most FPS's now is the campaign, they are generic and boring, as they all have a similar story (kill the bad guy who wants to destroy the nation alone because the rest of your team died or gets lost.) 

In terms of MP I think that realism should be a major part of the game.  Unlike most games that have all the weapons doing similar or the same damage with only a different skin for it.  They should all be unique just as they are IRL.  

this has been implemented in Far Cry 2 and it became more of a nuance than making it more immersive

I think (how medal of honor implemented it) overheating is a good idea for LMG or any weapon with high ammo capacity.

If the game has FOV sliders, it's automatically a good game. Seriously though, I feel like FPS games are trying to be too realistic. Let's face it, real life can be boring; and therefore I don't want to be shooting some boring gun at a boring enemy over and over again on a boring map. I want super speed, I want power ups, I want ludicrous voice acting; I want SOMETHING that makes it special.

I also want FPS games to have more of a sense of skill. A worse player can kill a better play in Call of Duty several times, but in games like Quake or even Counter-Strike, it is going to be extremely difficult to destroy a better player.

I think (how medal of honor implemented it) overheating is a good idea for LMG or any weapon with high ammo capacity.

I guess overheating makes sense, but modern guns have remedied overheating issues

Add a flank mechanic. When you fire on an enemy they duck behind cover for a second and allow you to sprint to another cover and be more tactical. And the enemies could do the same thing to you when youre ducked behind cover. I always found it boring when it's like "Oh I just burst through this door an there a wear house full of guys so I guess I'll just sit behind this barrel and pick everyone off one by one as they stay put in the open and don't react when I'm shooting the guys around them." make the player have to be smart and pick the right time to strike rather than the classic shoot everyone without moving thing.

The biggest thing that that I hate about most FPS's now is the campaign, they are generic and boring, as they all have a similar story (kill the bad guy who wants to destroy the nation alone because the rest of your team died or gets lost.) 

In terms of MP I think that realism should be a major part of the game.  Unlike most games that have all the weapons doing similar or the same damage with only a different skin for it.  They should all be unique just as they are IRL.  

That depends on the approach. There are unrealistic shooters that have popular multiplayers. About the damage, gun balance becomes an issue when you go crazy with damage, fire rate, recoil, etc.

Add a flank mechanic. When you fire on an enemy they duck behind cover for a second and allow you to sprint to another cover and be more tactical. And the enemies could do the same thing to you when youre ducked behind cover. I always found it boring when it's like "Oh I just burst through this door an there a wear house full of guys so I guess I'll just sit behind this barrel and pick everyone off one by one as they stay put in the open and don't react when I'm shooting the guys around them." make the player have to be smart and pick the right time to strike rather than the classic shoot everyone without moving thing.

Suppresion? Implemented in Battlefield 3, you need to find a good balance, though.

That depends on the approach. There are unrealistic shooters that have popular multiplayers. About the damage, gun balance becomes an issue when you go crazy with damage, fire rate, recoil, etc.

That is kinda what I am looking for, a game that isn't a run and gun.  A game where you have to think before you act. And if you do you get killed. Of course it needs re-spawns but they need to be set in a way that it is impossible to spawn behind an enemy player and kill them.  I like games that you need teamwork to play as well because then you can plan your moves and have different roles for each person in a squad or among the entire team.

That is kinda what I am looking for, a game that isn't a run and gun.  A game where you have to think before you act. And if you do you get killed. Of course it needs re-spawns but they need to be set in a way that it is impossible to spawn behind an enemy player and kill them.  I like games that you need teamwork to play as well because then you can plan your moves and have different roles for each person in a squad or among the entire team.

So like Counter Strike?

Edit: Oh, respawns? Hmmm, maybe Battlefield if you can communicate with your team.

So like Counter Strike?

No not a twitch game at all.  A full on tactical FPS is what I want.  A game where each side is matched against each other for an objective, and should they die they have to wait to return to base to change loadouts or spawn to a distance behind the combat that is already taking place. 

Hits not counting when they should, seems with a better internet connection than average it puts you at a disadvantage, because games are optimized for the average or slower connection. At times I can put nearly a whole mag into someones face and they don't die, but they shoot me in the toe and I die.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Play BF2 Project Reality and that is how a multiplayer FPS should be.

The main flaw of almost every FPS game of today is the lack of a sense of danger. Everyone is very used to dying in the most gruesome way then respawning 5 seconds later, so no one ever peek around corners or take cover anymore, especially in fast paced Call of Duty and Battlefield games. It's all down to who saw the other guy first and who's got the biggest gun, which quite frankly doesn't get my adrenaline going. I don't find myself walking quietly and checking every corner, because it's no big deal if someone jumps out and annihilates me with a rocket launcher, I'll just respawn 5 seconds later. There isn't much to do besides point and shoot as fast as you can, which is why all the little kids are loving it. 

If you've ever played a paintball match, you'll know the fear of getting hit, and you jump for cover as soon as you see someone. Now that would make FPS games much more engaging, and force people to react differently to each kind of situation rather than to just kill the other guy before he kills you.

No not a twitch game at all.  A full on tactical FPS is what I want.  A game where each side is matched against each other for an objective, and should they die they have to wait to return to base to change loadouts or spawn to a distance behind the combat that is already taking place. 

I'm sorry, CS is not a twitch game? Excuse me?

The main flaw of almost every FPS game of today is the lack of a sense of danger. Everyone is very used to dying in the most gruesome way then respawning 5 seconds later, so no one ever peek around corners or take cover anymore, especially in fast paced Call of Duty and Battlefield games. It's all down to who saw the other guy first and who's got the biggest gun, which quite frankly doesn't really get my adrenaline going. I don't find myself walking quietly and checking every corner, because it's no big deal if someone jumps out and annihilates me with a rocket launcher, I'll just respawn 5 seconds later. There isn't much to do besides point and shoot as fast as you can, which is why all the little kids are loving it. 

If you've ever played a paintball match, you'll know the fear of getting hit, and you jump for cover as soon as you see someone. Now that would make FPS games much more engaging, and force people to react differently to each kind of situation rather than to just kill the other guy before he kills you.

Search and Destroy or Counter Strike

I'm sorry, CS is not a twitch game? Excuse me?

It isnt a hold your ground and make small concentrated assaults, its a run and gun if not a twitch game. 

When I played it it felt like a twitch game to me, not anything like a tactical FPS. 

Difficulty in a sense. FPS games are meant for competitive gaming. I mean the game needs to be easy for the noobs but REALLY hard to master in order to reach a competitive level. Arena shooters are some of the best representations of the kind of FPS games I'm talking about, and I would love to see them taking the eSports throne once again from games like Call of Duty and CS:GO.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

It isnt a hold your ground and make small concentrated assaults, its a run and gun if not a twitch game. 

When I played it it felt like a twitch game to me, not anything like a tactical FPS. 

Then you did not play correctly. (Unless you play very, very casual) You do realize the reaction time and twitch movements that go into this game? The need for headshots, and listening for footsteps before making your move, etc.

Edit: your headset is like your eyes in this game

Difficulty in a sense. FPS games are meant for competitive gaming. I mean the game needs to be easy for the noobs but REALLY hard to master in order to reach a competitive level. Arena shooters are some of the best representations of the kind of FPS games I'm talking about, and I would love to see them taking the eSports throne once again from games like Call of Duty and CS:GO.

Not all shooters are meant for realism/competition.

Then you did not play correctly. (Unless you play very, very casual) You do realize the reaction time and twitch movements that go into this game? The need for headshots, and listening for footsteps before making your move, etc.

I am done with this pointless argument. I have said what I want to say and now I am good.  

Good day Sir. 

I know, but since the thread title said "your views and opinions" I thought to share that opinion :)

well if I can request something. it would be a strategic FPS, like it would be cool if you could zoom out and control troops, but then zoom in on one guy and control him. Like some of the COD BO2 missions.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

I am done with this pointless argument. I have said what I want to say and now I am good.  

Good day Sir. 

I wasn't trying to be hostile or anything (If you were getting the sense that I was)

Lag posted the same thing twice.