Why Do Graphics Cards Cost A Lot?

stan92

Hi all im just wondering why GPU's cost so much? Like what parts and procedures make them worth so much?

A graphics card is a computer. Almost. It doesn't just have a processor, it has RAM and all that stuff as well. It's no more expensive to produce in terms of material cost than a motherboard. But a GPU has the motherboard, processor and RAM

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Because it takes alot of RND and you have to pay people( they revolt if you dont) there equipment is expensive and components are expensive.

A graphics card is a computer. Almost. It doesn't just have a processor, it has RAM and all that stuff as well. It's no more expensive to produce in terms of material cost than a motherboard. But a GPU has the motherboard, processor and RAM

You seriously just said a GPU doesnt have a processor?

A gpu is just like a cpu but with different architecture...

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

He was attempting to say a CPU but he didn't word it correctly I assume.

I said it doesn't just have the processor, inferring that it has the processor plus more. As I go onto explain by stating it has RAM. Also if you notice my last sentence I clearly explain that it has a processor. It's stated very clearly. Obviously it has a processor due to what GPU stands for

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

No. A GPU does not have a motherboard. It is simply called a PCB. Doesn't have a special name. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. A GPU does not have a motherboard. It is simply called a PCB. Doesn't have a special name.

I am aware... Thanks for adding though

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Daughterboard, technically.

And a mobo is still a PCB

:)

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

They cost alot because they make lots of tiny squares change into different colours

The shiner it is, the more power it has.

A PCB...with stuff on it!

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Daughterboard, technically.

:)

I know a motherboard is a PCB. I didn't say it wasn't a PCB. And yes, it is technically a daughterboard.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The shiner it is, the more power it has.

A PCB...with stuff on it!

Shiny stuff!

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

And schnitzels!