Are my GPU Temps too low?

Avcoor

Hi people!

Yesterday I made a post here about the fans of my EVGA GTX970SC being crazy.(Revving to 100% and not slowing down and only one fan spinning)
I made an post on the EVGA's support forum and they said that probably the fan controller has bricked and asked for me to RMA it.

Well, today it decided to work... but now its temps are just too low in comparison to when it was working fine before.

When I played Metal Gear Solid V the temps were always around 65ºC~75Cº now its around 50ºC~55ºC...

Weird, eh?

Should I RMA the card or not?

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

there is not such thing as too low, your temps are fine

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Might wanna check with a different program. If it also as low as the readings in your main post, it should be fine.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Do the safe thing and RMA

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If it's at 100% and you're getting all the fps, it good. Maybe you're just lucky or the card is asking to be OC'ed ;)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Your temperatures are certainly fine in either case. The amount of load placed on the card varies during gameplay, especially if you're playing with a framerate cap (I think MGSV is hard-capped to 60 anyway). So it's not unusual to see a range of temperatures from, say, 50-75°C over a period of time.

As for the fan controller, wait and see if the problem resurfaces. If it does, RMA.

1. rma the card

2. get the new one, in its box

3. do not open it

4. sell it as brand new

5. get a r9 390 and be gratefull for the next 3-4 years.

ok, the temps are good, but just to be sure and that thing with the 100% fan speed doesnt happen again, rma the card

The site has changed....

1. rma the card

2. get the new one, in its box

3. do not open it

4. sell it as brand new

5. get a r9 390 and be gratefull for the next 3-4 years.

ok, the temps are good, but just to be sure and that thing with the 100% fan speed doesnt happen again, rma the card

I kinda like this logic.

Sig under construction.

Realistically, there is no "too low of a temperature" when it comes to PC hardware except maybe hard drives.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Realistically, there is no "too low of a temperature" when it comes to PC hardware except maybe hard drives.

Or going down to the point where condensation happens on sensitive electronics...

Sig under construction.

Or going down to the point where condensation happens on sensitive electronics...

I did say "realistically."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I did say "realistically."

There are a few situations where getting extremely cold is realistic...a few.

Sig under construction.

There are a few situations where getting extremely cold is realistic...a few.

I think of one as well, but it goes together with what I said. Most people will not encounter the situation where condensation will form on the electronics.

Might wanna check with a different program. If it also as low as the readings in your main post, it should be fine.

I checked with Afterburner and HWinfo.

Is there any other program that you suggest?

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas