simple question, im a noob

i have a pentium 3258 cpu, i want to upgrade cpu and keep the stock mobo, can i switch it out for an i5? i want a bit better gaming, thank you guys, and the reason im not switching my mobo out was because i dont know how to install windows, i was going to get a fx-8350 with a Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0, thank you guys

What motherboard are you using?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i have a pentium 3258 cpu, i want to upgrade cpu and keep the stock mobo, can i switch it out for an i5? i want a bit better gaming, thank you guys, and the reason im not switching my mobo out was because i dont know how to install windows, i was going to get a fx-8350 with a Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0, thank you guys

Installing windows could not be easier, BUT it will work fine, and any i5 is a much better cpu than the fx8350

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What motherboard are you using?

i have no idea honestly its a computer i bought when i needed one for work but then i got laid off so i use it for gaming now i think its a dell inspiron or somthing like that, its right next to me if there is an easy way to check

i have no idea honestly its a computer i bought when i needed one for work but then i got laid off so i use it for gaming now i think its a dell inspiron or somthing like that, its right next to me if there is an easy way to check

If you can get the model for us, that'd be great.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If you can get the model for us, that'd be great.

okay so im a total noob to upgrading and basically anything computer, where do i find the model? lol

okay so im a total noob to upgrading and basically anything computer, where do i find the model? lol

Do you still have the box for it? It may just be on the front of the case.

It doesn't really matter anyways because the g3258 is a haswell pentium so the mobo has to support the haswell i5s (aka i5-4XXX(k)).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Your CPU is 1150 socket, so any of these should work however we need to know your motherboard make / model to be sure, should be on it somewhere, serial, model etc?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=6&groupid=701&sortby=priceAsc&subid=567

For US versions simply amazon search the one you want or just assume 1.5 x the GBP price which is close enough to usd conversion ($1.66 = £1)

okay i dont have the box, but i did a google search for my computer and i found 

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?p=inspiron-3847-desktop&oc=ddcwrp208s&dgc=ST&cid=287191&lid=5499028&acd=123098073120560&ven1=sGiDSafPg&ven2=,&ven3=267002950366479881&isredir=true

i dont know if thats the exact one but it looks to be what was in it before i added a gpu and ram

It doesn't really matter anyways because the g3258 is a haswell pentium so the mobo has to support the haswell i5s (aka i5-4XXX(k)).

Doesn't mean the rest of the system does. In addition, I don't know if the G3258 is Devil's Canyon or not. You need to have a certain BIOS in order to use Devil's Canyon CPUs.

Doesn't mean the rest of the system does. In addition, I don't know if the G3258 is Devil's Canyon or not. You need to have a certain BIOS in order to use Devil's Canyon CPUs.

It is haswell refresh yes... So no matter what all the haswell i5's would be supported.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

so should an i5 work?

Any i5-4xxx chip (LGA) will work, yes.

AKA i5-4430,4440,4460,4570,4690,4670k,4690k 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

and i wont need to like re install windows or anything correct?, just making sure before i buy all this lol