WHAT IS A RHETORIC IN ENGLISH CLASS

Slash003

In english class we are learning rhetorics. The only annoying thing is they keep telling us little bits about it but in the past week we have been talking about it they having fucking told us what a fucking rhetoric actually is.

Can someone please be more helpful then my english teacher right now? Thanks for the help

a dog is a animal

sentances that don't need an awnser to

Not that kind of rhetoric, it sounds like they are talking about a statement. They specifically said when we started it was not a rhetorical question

Rhetoric is using persuasive language, but doesn't need answering and often lacks formality and meaningful speech, from what I've learnt at school. Rhetorical questions are the best known, as it is a question posed with no need of an answer, either for sarcasm/humour, insult or for thought.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

In english class we are learning rhetorics. The only annoying thing is they keep telling us little bits about it but in the past week we have been talking about it they having fucking told us what a fucking rhetoric actually is.

Can someone please be more helpful then my english teacher right now? Thanks for the help

some good examples here

Will you help starving children today by adding $3 to your grocery bill?

Can I add some of our delicious sweet potato fries to your entree for a dollar more?

A medicine ad claims that more people choose its medicine than a competitor is using rhetoric that is a logical fallacy in that the fact that more people purchased the medicine does not speak to its effectiveness and worthiness of purchase

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Rhetoric is basically persuasive language. Being good at speaking or writing persuasively means you are good at rhethoric.

+42

This.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

we just finished them last unit, I still hate them. :P

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Rhetoric is basically persuasive language. Being good at speaking or writing persuasively means you are good at rhethoric.

Guess that makes sense with all the ethos, pathos and logos stuff.

it's stupid shit

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

A rhetoric is a question that you do not need an answer to as an example "do you wear clothes" a non rhetoric is just a normal question...nuff said bruv 

Thanks all, I dont know how I'm gonna finish english class. The way we have it is that our old teacher was promoed to a principal on september 1st, and we've had a sub who takes work sourced from a IB english class a few years ahead. thank god it's only have a year not a full year.

Guess that makes sense with all the ethos, pathos and logos stuff.

Basically, yes. 

Ethos, pathos or logos are the ways you can try to be persuasive.

You can appeal to people's sense of morality, you can appal to people's emotions or to people's logical sense.

5persuasion.jpg

Where things gets intersting is when you make one appeal, but make it seem like another kind of appeal.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes