Steam not using all of my speed

jdmilion

I have 24mbps download speed, and when i download a game on steam it never goes above 2mbps. Why is this? It isnt capped and i usually have nothing using internet running in the background.

The isp might be knee capping you by bundling your data with everyone else in the regions data for steam. Or the steam server in your area is over burdened.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Your ISP most likely is using megabits per second and steam is using megabytes per second

Edit: ^ Yea what he said

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

Fucking ISPs and their misleading advertising...

Fucking ISPs and their misleading advertising...

they are simply playing the game of advertising :)

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

There is a limitation in Steam that can be toggled on, just like in Origin; you can cap the amount of bandwidth it uses.

Go to Settings < Downloads < Download Restrictions

If that's not your issue, it's your ISP.

Are you at University or using an internet service not at home? I had a similar experience where my Uni throttled my Steam downloads to 250KB/s, I then asked them to increase it and they increased it to 500KB/s. Needless to say I was pretty livid.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I have 24mbps download speed, and when i download a game on steam it never goes above 2mbps. Why is this? It isnt capped and i usually have nothing using internet running in the background.

Can you post:

1. A screenshot of your speed from speedtest.net
  2. A screenshot of your speed in steam

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

24/8 = 3mb. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

that just so sad that people these days still don't know the differences with bit and byte

even on speedtest you can change the setting from bit to byte

8e08d132c4.jpg

misleading advertised?

how about you learn "how to measure"

1km doesn't equal 1mile.

that just so sad that people these days still don't know the differences with bit and byte

even on speedtest you can change the setting from bit to byte

misleading advertised?

how about you learn "how to measure"

1km doesn't equal 1mile.

I think you're being unfair...

I'm sure a lot of people don't understand this, and i can see how somebody would be confused between Mbps & MBps.

It's definitely something i had to search up. Asking in a forum is a good way to learn..He won't be forgetting this.