Corsair Strafe RGB

Jessop

After seeing various articles regarding the new Strafe RGB keyboard  here's my 2 cents worth

Although I'm sure the quality will be decent i just wish corsair had done the following

PBT - Double Shot keycaps

Dedicated volume wheel with NO Media Keys

Keep the Metal top like the current K70 - Plastic - no matter how good -  just looks and feels cheap - dress it up any way u like - METAL is Better !! that was the strongest selling point of the K70

Cherry MX blue switches - Cant understand why it's so difficult to find a K70 RGB with blue switches - I've seen articles stating that the blue RGB switches are discontinued for the K70 RGB model - I hope it's not true

In another youtube article I saw that the new Strafe RGB would come in Red, Brown, silent and blue cherry switches

I could ignore the metal top and dedicated volume wheel but I wish that the new Strafe RGB had at least PBT Double shot keycaps and MX Blue Switches 

anyone agree with me on the PBT double shot keycaps ? - like the New Ducky Shine 5

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

So first off, the MX Blue K70 RGB was in fact discontinued due to a shorage of MX Blue RGB switches along with stronger sales of the MX Brown and MX Red variants.

The plastic top was put on the Strafe to bring down the price. It exists as an entry level mech from them, much like Ducky's Zero line or Razer's non-backlit models.

The Strafe RGB is available with Reds, Silents and Browns. No MX Blues.

I agree on the whole volume wheel and media key thing, but it's a cost cutting measure.

I don't know enough about caps, but you could of course go get a custom set. Obviously it will cost more though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

PBT keycaps would bring the price up rather a lot, not to mention that not enough people would be able to feel the difference between them and thus would just pass by people without a second glance. 

The Strafe is a SILENT mechanical keyboard, hence the use of switches that can be actuated without a "click". Cherry MX Blues wouldn't fit well with the whole SILENT aspect of the keyboard. 

And lets get this straight, as I am pretty sick of hearing it, just because the K series of keyboards has one plate of metal as a top plate, doesn't mean that it's going to be any less or more flexible than the Strafe, or any other mechanical keyboard that is well manufactured. The K series, has less material overall and the one plate of aluminium is not only the top plate, but the backplate too. Other keyboards have a top piece of plastic for a casing to help protect the keys, and then a back plate made of steel. The Strafe will have a metal backplate just like the majority of mechanical keyboards on the market. One more thing, just because the K series keyboards have one plate of metal in them doesn't instantly mean "metal construction". 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

coz Blue Switches make that "click" sound and Strafe suppose to be "Silent"

The Strafe isn't a silent keyboard. It just happens to be the first keyboard to feature Cherry's "Silent" switches.

After seeing various articles regarding the new Strafe RGB keyboard  here's my 2 cents worth

Although I'm sure the quality will be decent i just wish corsair had done the following

PBT - Double Shot keycaps

Dedicated volume wheel with NO Media Keys

Keep the Metal top like the current K70 - Plastic - no matter how good -  just looks and feels cheap - dress it up any way u like - METAL is Better !! that was the strongest selling point of the K70

Cherry MX blue switches - Cant understand why it's so difficult to find a K70 RGB with blue switches - I've seen articles stating that the blue RGB switches are discontinued for the K70 RGB model - I hope it's not true

In another youtube article I saw that the new Strafe RGB would come in Red, Brown, silent and blue cherry switches

I could ignore the metal top and dedicated volume wheel but I wish that the new Strafe RGB had at least PBT Double shot keycaps and MX Blue Switches 

anyone agree with me on the PBT double shot keycaps ? - like the New Ducky Shine 5

First off, the Ducky shine 5 is still using double shot ABS for their stock keycaps.

I'm pretty sure the Strafe isn't supposed to be a premium full-size mechanical keyboard like the K70 RGB is. The Strafe is meant to be cheaper for budget-oriented customers that don't want to pay the premium price of the K70 RGB. To achieve this cheaper price point, Corsair had to cut corners somewhere. It's like Ducky's new keyboards: the Ducky ONE and Shine 5. The Shine 5 is premium whereas the ONE is budget-oriented.

The Strafe isn't a silent keyboard. It just happens to be the first keyboard to feature Cherry's "Silent" switches.

it tried to be as silent as possible and Blue has that Click sound

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Thanx for all the constructive comments guys

In answer to all the replies I have the following comment

My reason for starting the above thread is that Corsair was on the right track and so close to making the Ultimate keyboard

Yes the strafe is great I'm sure but it seems as if they sidestepped and went downhill . I'm all for cutting costs and the strafe is great value with some really good improvements but I'm hoping that Corsair now release a premium upgraded K70 for serious users that want to spend more on a premium product

1. Metal top

2. Cherry mx Blue as an option

3. Dedicated volume wheel NO media keys

4. PBT double shot keycaps

5. ZERO key wobble QC control

6. USB + headphone jack not close to where ppl use mouse

7. 5 macro keys

8. White underlay beneath the key caps to reflect and brighten the Led's

The strafe has a few of the above features

The Razer chroma has a few of the above features

Ducky shine has a few of the above features

Cm cooler master has a few

Logitech 910

Does ANY manufacturer out the have ALL of the above features

Anyone out there that would drop $200 for a keyboard with all of the above ?

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

Thanx for all the constructive comments guys

In answer to all the replies I have the following comment

My reason for starting the above thread is that Corsair was on the right track and so close to making the Ultimate keyboard

Yes the strafe is great I'm sure but it seems as if they sidestepped and went downhill . I'm all for cutting costs and the strafe is great value with some really good improvements but I'm hoping that Corsair now release a premium upgraded K70 for serious users that want to spend more on a premium product

You completely seem to have missed the point of the Strafe, It was never ment to ground breaking in any way shape or form. Its basically a Quickfire or anything other Budget mech keyboard with corsair styling. 

I get what you looking for but that kind of keyboard would cost a lot and how many would they honestly sell when the trend is moving towards the budget models as thats where the sales are. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I get you - Sales drive the market - 

But I'm sure there is also a market for enthusiasts - so I'm holding thumbs :)

C'mon Corsair  - C'mon Razer - Make the K80 :) - to the specs I outlined above :)

I would also like to point out that I have the Razer BW Chroma and I Love the layout of that keyboard but it has a lot of flaws

non Cherry Switches - I have a K70 and the Chroma and there is NO comparison between Kailh and Cherry - Cherry is WAY better - there is a clear difference in the feel and quality of the switch

USB and headphone Jacks are placed on the right hand side where 90% of ( right handed ) ppl place their mouse - Dumb move by Razer - clearly designed by someone who has  NEVER been in a wow Battleground in the heat of battle and broken off the USB stick and Headphone jack cause they were in the way :)

terrible Key wobble - could be the kailh switch or bad keycap fitting -

Crappy paper thin keycaps - C'mon Razer - you can at least put better quality keycaps on your premium BW Chroma 

no included wrist rest - yes I could buy one but the fitted wrist rest that comes standard with the K70 is perfect and never slips or moves accidentally

Lastly - the Scroll / Num / Caps Lock LED's on the top right are obscured under thick Plastic and are barely visible - clearly a Design fault - LOL

The ppl making the outer shell weren't given proper instructions and didn't know of the existence of the three LED's on the top right - total blunder !!

there is a new interesting looking Keyboard from G-skill but unfortunately - its designed by someone whose seen too many alien movies - - it has 6 macros - Cherry MX Switches ( brown , red ) no MX Blues though - but the look of it is too alien -  Game / kidddy looking so its a def no for me 

You completely seem to have missed the point of the Strafe, It was never ment to ground breaking in any way shape or form. Its basically a Quickfire or anything other Budget mech keyboard with corsair styling. 

I get what you looking for but that kind of keyboard would cost a lot and how many would they honestly sell when the trend is moving towards the budget models as thats where the sales are. 

I get you  - and I didn't miss the point - I agree with you - the Strafe is a budget keyboard offering a lot of great features and true MX Cherry switches and if they release a Cherry MX blue version I might just get one 

My reasons for not just getting a K70 RGB  are the following

1> I love and only want to use MX blues - I've tried all others including Kailh Clicky ( blues ) that are on my BW Chroma and I still prefer MX blues

2> there is no white underlay beneath the K70 LEDs therefore they are not bright enough for my liking and I don't want to mod it myself

3> - problem with flickering  on LED's - Hardware controller can't display 16.8 mil colours without flickering

4> - no macro keys - 

@georgevar59

It has been mentioned by Corsair James that it is unlikely at current market prices for PBT keycaps will be included.

The strafe does not have the flickering issues, and has a white back plate, and comes with a wrist wrest. 

And as everyone has mentioned its a entry level RGB keyboard. Its not going to have dedicated volume controls. 

And the Lock LED being so small was a bad design choice which was fixed in the strafe. 

Check out my iCUE Guide Beta Tester for Corsair

Got a Corsair Product? Got a Question?

Feel Free to PM Me ?

Check out my iCUE Guide

I have to admit even though not ideal the strafe looks tempting

IMO i think its a better value then the K70. You loose the alu face place and volume controls but the Strafe cost a lot less and has a better design. 

Check out my iCUE Guide Beta Tester for Corsair

Got a Corsair Product? Got a Question?

Feel Free to PM Me ?

Check out my iCUE Guide

• 3 weeks later...

After having seen a few reviews i'm starting to reconsider my original opinion of the strafe RGB - 

the design is really nice 

MX Cherry switches in Red , silent + Brown

Wrist rest

RGB - with white under plate to reflect lights

Better Lighting engine - no flickering

it looks like a sweet deal - Price is cheaper than A lot of the competition and it has more / better features

Great Looking Keyboard All round