Asynch, DX12, Nvidia and AMD GPUs. Clarity please?

Memories4K

So, i'm not sure who to buy from now.

Apparently, Nvidia GPUs are gonna be gimped on DX12.

Apparently, AMD's the tits with DX12.

I don't care about supporting AMD or Ngreedia, i just want the better product.

So any new news on this whole fiasco?

Anything that settles/proves whether Maxwell (and Pascal in the future) can/can't fully utilize DX12? (with things like Asynch compute)

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Buy a S3 Graphics.

(Go with AMD, they are cheaper and run the same, if not a little hotter)

Give it a few months, I've got a feeling Nvidia doesn't have DX12 support fully released yet.

And we only have one game released that uses DX12, for all we know it could be heavily AMD optimized. I'd say don't even think about using it's benchmarks until there are at least 4 other games released that use DX12.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Give it a few months, I've got a feeling Nvidia doesn't have DX12 support fully released yet.

And we only have one game released that uses DX12, for all we know it could be heavily AMD optimized. I'd say don't even think about using it's benchmarks until there are at least 4 other games released that use DX12.

Wait ashes was released I thought it was in early alpha

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Buy a S3 Graphics.

(Go with AMD, they are cheaper and run the same, if not a little hotter)

Listen while i love the idea of saving money by going AMD and using an R9 290x as a miniature volcano in the winter to save costs my heating bills, i'm also interested on what AMD might lack in DX12 too because i've purposely stayed out of the loop on the whole DX12 thing unbeknownst to me that it's actually a big deal unlike DX10.

No but seriously i'm thinking of getting the 390x, or if Arctic Islands is close then the flagship for that. 

I'm in no rush, just curious because this seems like a big enough fiasco that i would have thought more things would have come to light faster. Gonna take advantage of those holiday deals. Deus Ex is going to use DX12, so i'll know that would be a good benchmark. Then again it uses TressFX, so yeah could be AMD optimized. At the very least it would compare that benchmark to Ashes' benchmark

^

Listen while i love the idea of saving money by going AMD and using an R9 290x as a miniature volcano in the winter to save costs my heating bills, i'm also interested on what AMD might lack in DX12 too because i've purposely stayed out of the loop on the whole DX12 thing unbeknownst to me that it's actually a big deal unlike DX10.

Ugh what?

AMD is better than Nvidia in DX12, the end.

AMDm in my opinion, has the upper hand, because they currently go for less money, and perform the same.

Idk, It might still be in alpha, though I dont care about it enough to check.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Ugh what?

AMD is better than Nvidia in DX12, the end.

AMDm in my opinion, has the upper hand, because they currently go for less money, and perform the same.

I was making a joke and saying that my first choice was in fact AMD hahahaha

I was making a joke and saying that my first choice was in fact AMD hahahaha

be my guest and over-spend on a lower quality, less honest Nvidia.

It is your money, and your choices.

be my guest and over-spend on a lower quality, less honest Nvidia.

It is your money, and your choices.

Ahhh, i forgot the comma.

No i was making a joke, and i was saying that AMD was in fact my first choice.

Ahhh, i forgot the comma.

No i was making a joke, and i was saying that AMD was in fact my first choice.

ugh.

people confuse me.

Let's get one thing straight; NVIDIA GPUs will not be gimped in DX12. This hardware asynchronous feature can be used to boost the performance of current AMD GPUs and next Gen Nvidia GPUs. But it does not have to hurt current Gen Nvidia GPUs. Devs can just turn it off for Maxwell. So NVIDIA's DX12 performance I reckon will end up being slightly better or at least equal to their DX11 performance. AMD may have bigger gains, but NVIDIA is not gonna have their performance reduced. This whole fiasco should be considered as a positive for AMD users, rather than a negative for Nvidia users. NVIDIA users will be getting the same performance they would have always gotten, somebody else's GPU getting quicker doesn't change that. If AMD GPUs got quicker while Nvidia got slower then that would be a concern, but that is not what is happening.

We were not able to look in the future 4 weeks ago, we cant look into the future now.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Let's get one thing straight; NVIDIA GPUs will not be gimped in DX12. This hardware asynchronous feature can be used to boost the performance of current AMD GPUs and next Gen Nvidia GPUs. But it does not have to hurt current Gen Nvidia GPUs. Devs can just turn it off for Maxwell. So NVIDIA's DX12 performance I reckon will end up being slightly better or at least equal to their DX11 performance. AMD may have bigger gains, but NVIDIA is not gonna have their performance reduced. This whole fiasco should be considered as a positive for AMD users, rather than a negative for Nvidia users. NVIDIA users will be getting the same performance they would have always gotten, somebody else's GPU getting quicker doesn't change that. If AMD GPUs got quicker while Nvidia got slower then that would be a concern, but that is not what is happening.

True. AMD maybe will get even with NVidia because they are so far behind now.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Anything that settles/proves whether Maxwell (and Pascal in the future) can/can't fully utilize DX12? (with things like Asynch compute)

reality is hard friend

let's see...

today DX12 "work perfect" on AMD cards (and they get better with the time)

and nvidia DX12 cards "works equal" to DX11

but is not crippled in any way

just work as DX11

- - - - 

they "usually" rise the performance with driver optimizations (with software, not with hardware)

and they work great in DX11 anyway (they say DX12 but we know the true here)

but... is not to fear or anything, the green DX11 performance is great anyway

and the high end cards are truly powerful (and the old 1s gen TITAN is cool to me)  :rolleyes:

they say that will add "full" DX12 "support" (finally) 

on... next gen cards

- - - - 

still, that philosophy of wait "years" to see if something is true, is not cool to me

"i you want the next next next gen card, just sit and watch...
how all your friends play games... for some years...
and you will get what you want... in time... 
if we not delay... to much... this time..." 

my advice 

buy a card "now" (hell yeah)

any card 

from the company that you trust more

yep, it's time to choose if you are red or green friend lol

and buy a new one (in years) after selling the old card  B)

- - - - 

i personally like "a lot" the Fury Nano lol  :lol:

but that is just me  ^_^

i love the small form factor  :wub:

Nvidia gpus aren't going to go backwards.. they just won't gain as much.

maybe this means amd will be competitive on all levels again!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Anyone see the Fable Legends benchmark? The Fury X beats the 980ti at 720p and 1080p. It is ever so slightly behind at 4k. While that may be the case now, nVidia will soon respond with a driver update that increases the performance of the 980ti again. They always do. While AMD may be better equipped for DX12 in relation to its poor performance (relatively) in DX11 scenarios, nVidia will shift that balance back to them.

Or the benchmark numbers are false. AMD are known to release bogus results that unfairly favour themselves.

This is perfect xD

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

There is no clarification to be had on this "issue" yet. Right now it's a bunch of fanboys on both sides freaking the f*** out about two or three benchmarks from the technical alpha build from one game before proper drivers are available. It would be silly to make any purchasing decisions based solely on this information. Said benchmarks don't even draw a consistent picture from one to the next, from what I've seen.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9659/fable-legends-directx-12-benchmark-analysis

Anandtech posted an article including DX12 benchmarks of Fable Legends today. The results are a lot more coherent and believable, but again, this is an unfinished game using unfinished drivers and we cannot draw a real conclusion from it, either.

Anyone see the Fable Legends benchmark? The Fury X beats the 980ti at 720p and 1080p. It is ever so slightly behind at 4k. While that may be the case now, nVidia will soon respond with a driver update that increases the performance of the 980ti again. They always do. While AMD may be better equipped for DX12 in relation to its poor performance (relatively) in DX11 scenarios, nVidia will shift that balance back to them.

Or the benchmark numbers are false. AMD are known to release bogus results that unfairly favour themselves.

*cough* Kepler nerf *cough*

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

*cough* Kepler nerf *cough*

Sorry, my brain is not with it today. Do you mean nVidia will nerf Maxwell performance in DX12 when Pascal comes out?

Sorry, my brain is not with it today. Do you mean nVidia will nerf Maxwell performance in DX12 when Pascal comes out?

Could be. I just mean they are shady as fuck

Could be. I just mean they are shady as fuck

OK, I getcha. My head is in bits today.

I migrated to AMD. I feel they're the better of two evils. If I'm going to have to deal with liars and greedy thieves, I may as well go with the ones that will steal the least amount of my money.