How does this game compare to Elite:dangerous

LuLWaT

Hey

I'm a fan of elite:dangerous and want to know the main differences and similarities with Star Citizen if any of you know. Thinking about pledging for one of the two basic ships, not sure which one. :D

Also, does the option to buy ships add and pay to win? Thanks! :D

Hey

I'm a fan of elite:dangerous and want to know the main differences and similarities if any of you know. Thinking about pledging for one of the two basic ships, not sure which one. :D

Also, does the option to buy ships add and pay to win? Thanks! :D

What game are we comparing?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The option to buy ships is only available until public release, all the ships offered currently will all be available to purchase in game once the Persistent universe releases. Currently, "pledging" is only a way of showing support to the developers and you get a digital reward for it. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

The option to buy ships is only available until public release, all the ships offered currently will all be available to purchase in game once the Persistent universe releases. 

Ahh, so buying it early gives you the benefit of having a better starter ship?

@CatCloud I think might be able to tell you what its like.

Personally to me the only similarities I can say are that they are in space and have ships.

Star Citizen to me is a first person game with ships, the difference is the vehicles aren't tacted on, you don't just press f and automatically sit in a seat. You climb aboard, walk around your ship and then pick your seat.

As for the universe, its up to you what you want out of it, you make your decision. There's no skill tree but things aren't easy to pick up, you have to learn tricks of the trades. I call it a second life in space.

As for single player Squadron 42 is a 20hr triple A game with famous actors (we don't know who yet).

Yes you can add ships no it isn't going to be pay to win.

Star Citizen isnt out yet. How can we know?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Star Citizen isnt out yet. How can we know?

We can't. Only Time can tell but i think it has good chances of becoming that:

But it's made by Chris Roberts and his Brother (and other awesome people) and they attempt to make the game that all his previous games were supposed to be but couldn't due to technical limitations and Publishers but they were still awesome in presenting an immersive environment. ;)

Never laugh about someone who takes a step back: He might take a run-up!

We can't. Only Time can tell but i think it has good chances of becoming that:

But it's made by Chris Roberts and his Brother (and other awesome people) and they attempt to make the game that all his previous games were supposed to be but couldn't due to technical limitations and Publishers but they were still awesome in presenting an immersive environment. ;)

Well, it sounds too good to be true. I hope they can deliver.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The first person stuff and all the other stuff mentioned above covers most of it.  I'd just add a few things about the different feel of the games, at least that I got from them.

I think the flight models are very different: Elite is more airplane type flight compared to SCs more Battlestar Galactica Viper type flight.

The pacing might be different too: Elite is much slower paced combat, at least in fighters.  Though the cap ships might be comparable. 

The scale is different: Elite is massive and accurate (therefore a bit barren) version of the Milky Way, SC will have (eventually) about 100 systems that are much higher in detail, with more to do in each system in a made up universe.  

I think both games are worth owning.  For me Elite is a bit slow and gives me more of a single player feeling but good for relaxing in. Some Elite players absolutely hate the flight model and fast pacing of SC's fighters currently available in the small arena in the "Arena Commander" alpha test thing.  I'm a bit shit with the fighters, looking forward to the bigger multicrew ships being released.

They'll probably do another free week sometime not too far off (they do a lot of them).  If you feel like trying it out without spending $45, wait for a "free fly" week.

Ill be the guy again to say the game isnt finished there are only a few things to do right now e.g. Dog fighting, racing, socializing planetside. there is more to come out soon though. but please go in being informed. this isnt as far along as elite dangerous. If you aren't okay with that maybe wait until there is more out or till release. if you are okay with it, of course grab a ship and join us for some games :). dont go into buying a ship thinking the cost should justify the ship though. the ship is only a reward given to backers as a thanks for pledging a certain amount and to give you something to look at/do until the game is released. Look at it as you are supporting the games development if you pledge.

Honestly, even though Elite Dangerous is out, you can't really say it is completely finished either.

Goals and plans aside, Elite dangerous has three roles, three overall ship types and flies like an atmospheric flight sim. It holds your hands in regards to inertia, and it by far does not have the complexity of the physics engine of Star Citizen. There is a lot to do in Elite Dangerous, but it is still a completely procedurally generated space sim that also has no tutorials in regards to the core mechanics of the game; such as how to handle missions, how to navigate and use the drive systems. They give a tut of using your mouse and joystick to shoot, but even a monkey can learn that from just playing. Once you finally do start playing, it ends up as a grind to upgrade your ranks in the pre-mentioned roles. When online, most of the time people are just flying around ganking space truckers and the other bit is just people doing offline to space truck.  There is no fps, there is no planetside aspect, and at most you just use a ship and use UI options when in docks.

In the end, I feel Star Citizen already has a lot more going on for it in just the pvp aspect alone, that is already open for play. If mining and other roles get involved, let alone the beta form of the Persistent Universe, the game will already outclass what you can do in Elite Dangerous by several magnitudes. If anything, if you want a procedurally generated space game with lots of options, lots of things to do, then you should be looking at No Man's Sky. If you want a game to be a universe its own with outstanding clarity and lore with great mechanics, then you want Star Citizen. If you want an arcade style space game that can also be an MMO, then you want Elite Dangerous.

Before you compare games, you should first consider their scope and intention.

@LuLWaT

In regards to Star Citizen, any ships, packages, etc that you buy can be gotten within the game itself. Buying a package gives you the beta access of the PU (technically will be the multi-crew release), along with a preorder of the first part (of 3) of the solo campaign (squadron 42). Having Squadron 42 also gives out the full MMO part of the game.

To participate in the actual alpha access of Star Marine and Arena Commander, you have to get the access pass (5usd), or get the packages with the pass (45usd). Granted that Squadron 42 will be a 50-60 usd release, there is some savings you get from backing prior to release.

During the beta/alpha PU, there will be options to earn credits ingame to actually get ships to try, as well as the same option in Arena Commander through the REC system. So aside from the base packages, there is no need to buy anything else. Stand alone ship sales are not packages, and are add-on items; so be careful to know what you are purchasing. Concept sales are a bit different as they are still stand-alone, but they have Permanent warranty on the base ship, so when in the real game, you never have to worry about purchasing insurance for that ship when you lose it. These concept sales only come along at the introduction of the ship to the game, otherwise there is no difference then getting it ingame after release.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I feel that the flying in this game is alot better than elite:dangerous.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd