Can a CX PSU handle an i7/i5?

Yuniks

The PS4 operates at 40*C internal and 60*C exhaust. Your point?

If you were maxing it out @ 60*C you'd no longer have a PC with which to brag about it

I was running my i5 4440 and GTX 970 inside a case from 1996 designed for a 500MHz Celeron. My point was that the maximum temperature limit on them isn't actually the limit-either that or the sensor is broken-which wouldn't be surprising for a CX PSU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

just to quote your logic,

it doesnt make sense to me i´m sorry.

its not that i agree or disagree with you on any point.

But there is just more to the story.

I just stand to my point, that the CX series are not the best in the world.

But also not the worst either.

I dont see any problem why a CX600 should have any issues with running a locked i7.

That was what this whole thread was about.

I would personaly not recommend them in an powerhungry X99 setup, or Xeon E5, or FX9590, and such for that matter.

But thats a totaly diffrent ball game.

It's not about how much power the components draw - it's about the heat they generate. An i7 and a 970 can easily warm up a case during a gaming session and that would end poorly when the CX PSU decides that it cannot output 80% of it's rated wattage at 35*C ambient temperature. In the best case scenario - it shuts down. In the worst case scenario - it kills 1-2 components and possible catches fire.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I was running my i5 4440 and GTX 970 inside a case from 1996 designed for a 500MHz Celeron. My point was that the maximum temperature limit on them isn't actually the limit-either that or the sensor is broken-which wouldn't be surprising for a CX PSU.

Stop making excuses when it's a proven fact that CX and gaming don't mix. Just accept it.

EDIT: You forgot to check your PSU btw - you have a GS rebranded CX according to your profile - they are a slightly different story.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Stop making excuses when it's a proven fact that CX and gaming don't mix. Just accept it.

EDIT: You forgot to check your PSU btw - you have a GS rebranded CX according to your profile - they are a slightly different story.

I know that they don't mix with gaming. And its a CX850M-I forgot the "M"

PMSL

Hello,

I was just wondering if a Corsair CX could handle an Intel Core i7 processor(non-k edition processors)

For example, I have a Corsair CX500 with almost 400W powering my system altogether. Would it then handle a Core i7 upgrade?

It will be fine but it's better to change it asap if you are going to use your system for extensive periods of gaming. i7s are not a lot more power hungry than i5s and are more efficient than your A10-6800K for sure.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

when the CX PSU decides that it cannot output 80% of it's rated wattage at 35*C ambient temperature. In the best case scenario - it shuts down. In the worst case scenario - it kills 1-2 components and possible catches fire.

i know, and thats exaly the part that interessts me.

I havent read any issues according to this with the CX units in general.

but i will definitely going to research it.

Like i said, most people i know with CX units dont seem to have major issues with them.

But if its true what you describe, then it definitely got my interessts for further investigation.

i know that Corsair did have some issues with their first batch RM series.

But thats a diffrent story.

I have to say i´m personaly not a big fan of cheaping out on a powersuply,

since its one of the most important parts of the system.

I personaly allways recommend decent psu´s anyway.

Same counts for motherboards to me.

I know that they don't mix with gaming. And its a CX850M-I forgot the "M"

still a GS rebrand - those are rated for 35*C at their maximum wattage I believe.

i know, and thats exaly the part that interessts me.

I havent read any issues according to this with the CX units in general.

but i will definitely going to research it.

Like i said, most people i know with CX units dont seem to have major issues with them.

But if its true what you describe, then it definitely got my interessts for further investigation.

i know that Corsair did have some issues with their first batch RM series.

But thats a diffrent story.

I have to say i´m personaly not a big fan of cheaping out on a powersuply, since its one of the most important parts of the system.

I personaly allways recommend decent psu´s anyway.

Exactly - when an XFX PSU is 10$ more but offers japanese capacitors, SeaSonic build quality and 40*C temp tolerance then it's just better in every possible way.

still a GS rebrand - those are rated for 35*C at their maximum wattage I believe.

There is the rating, and then there is reality: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=427

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=427

PMSL

Exactly - when an XFX PSU is 10$ more but offers japanese capacitors, SeaSonic build quality and 40*C temp tolerance then it's just better in every possible way.

yes definitely i wouldnt argue about that. :)

FYI, in order to make prevent any accusation of bias, Jonnyguru does not make reviews anymore for his site. Jeremy (Oklahoma Wolf) and Tony (Tazz) are the current reviewers of Jonnyguru.

I already stated my opinion on the CX series in other threads, and I don't really feel like bring it up again. If you want to hear and trust the opinion of OW on the matter, he recently made a post on it: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=117509&postcount=5

BTW, the 85C rating is for the Primary capacitor (as long as it at a good distance from the heat source, these typically doesn't fail) - which in the current revision is Japanese from Panasonic. The secondary side uses 105C rated (as it should) CapXon.

Fun fact: AXi are multi-rail cause some of the original single rail ones overloaded by themselves and some even caught fire ^_^

I don't quite understand where you are going with this. Can you clarify?

Multirail is kind of like the circuit breaker inside of your house. It limits current within a set of cable to a safer range in order to prevent fire, whereas single rail usually doesn't have an OCP monitoring the 12v output and relied on the OPP to shut it off - making it slower to respond to high loads abnomollies. This is why many Delta and Enermax build PSU are multirails. In fact, Seasonic misadvertised some of their higher-end "single rail" units, when in actuaility they were multirails (they also misadvertised their lower-end MR when they were SR...Not sure why they did this though).

If something had been burnt out and could have been prevented if it was a multirail unit, it doesn't mean that the unit was at fault but rather the system itself (even though most will blame the PSU). Unless you are putting down SR in general, but most of the quality PSUs are SR anyways.

I already pointed out why they are bad - they have started fires in the past and I've even linked one of the videos on the subject actually showing the thing smoking more than a middle-aged truck driver.

You can ask the people who've had the things die on them and/or fry components. @EllieThePurpleFuzzy lost an i7 and a GPU to 2 consecutive dead CXs. 2 other users reported it "blowing up with a loud bang" - one of them got off easy, the other lost a GPU and an SSD. I seem to remember a motherboard being fried as well a few weeks ago.

CX are for office PCs with i3s and USB printers. Not for a gaming PC.

I may mention that when the first one blew up ....gosh the smell :'). just as obnoxious as i am :D hehe.

Story time? eh. not really

I may just mention i nearly lost 2 Graphics cards to the cruddy CX series?.

I ran my old 7950 for a little bit towards the end of my 2nd CX PSU's lifetime and damn did my system feel sick as a dog under the CX's power.

sometimes my 7950 wouldn't even display out it was acting that peculiar. my 3770K was having an issue with Overheating and lagging, Despite Putting a new Cooler on it (212 EVO) and new thermal paste (Artic Silver 5 i think it was).

So to skip along my 2nd CX unit died peacefully, just simply not turning on one morning, i pretty much took it out and took it apart for extra screws as i had no way to RMA it, nor did i fancy just getting a replacement one. I was so damn sick and done with the CX line, and you can see why i always recommend not going for one.

so to skip along yet again, Got me a EVGA G2 Supernova 850W :) as in my signature just about last year, and wheras my system felt like a sickly old dog under the CX's (heck i remember my mum and her BF kinda rattling on me cause i seemed to be getting a good few component breakages around that time), But now? My system feels Like an Iron fist with the G2 in it. Whereas under the CX's it always felt like you were defending yourself with a single layer of tin foil or baking paper in the middle of a Western Cowboy town shoot out. 

*Pats her G2 for being a rad PSU*

OP, i would highly recommend a Much better power supply before going about investing in more expensive components, There is a good damn reason why the CX units have a growing dark cloud over them. if you are running a 400W load and getting an i5 or i7, i'd suggest something like a EVGA GS 550W or XFX XTR/TS/Seasonic G 550W or above? or if you dont want to spend so much, grab something like a Antec HCG or Seasonic S12ii :).

Also yeah this wasnt my best post, Im having a bit of a weird day.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Yes. I have a cx430m powering an i7-4770k running at stock and have no issues. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys