Can a CX PSU handle an i7/i5?

Yuniks

That doesnt mean anything realy.

i have seen 5 seasonics die in a row.....

I have no idea what you try to say with that.

like i said CX units are not the best quality,

But definitely also not the worst realy.

There are way worse psu´s then cwt units.

We keep saying that they're not the best but they're not shit either so idk why you guys are still argueing

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Even though the newest ones have better build quality than older CX models, they are overpriced and best described as mediocre, with a prime example of how bad they are being the possibility of HDD getting damaged, Graphics cards that don't function correctly (my experience with a 970 and 650ti), and coil whine when under anything other than a light load.,

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

We keep saying that they're not the best but they're not shit either so idk why you guys are still argueing

because it's not your components getting fried

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Them getting fried is the worst case scenario. What goes wrong (or doesn't) depends on the particular wattage and how much power is being drawn.

PMSL

Them getting fried is the worst case scenario. What goes wrong (or doesn't) depends on the particular wattage and how much power is being drawn.

The CX's protections work 50% of the time from my research. That's encouraging . . .

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You make assumptions without knowing the exact cause of death of those psu´s.

That just doesnt make any sense realy.

Much misinformation

The CX series is only rated for an ambient operating temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

I have a cx and a i7 right now that operated on load above 35c for hours lol I have actual evidence and not a forum post

i would personaly not recommend them in highend machines like X99 i7´s 5960X

Or Xeon E5 server grade machines.

I have a cx and a i7 right now that operated on load above 35c for hours lol I have actual evidence and not a forum post

Wow 1 test.

And its more than a forum post if you would actually read it. 

Wow JonnyGuru that is "just" a very reputable, trustworthy and professional powersupply reviewer. -.- gtfo

Wow 1 test.

Wow JonnyGuru that is "just" a very reputable, trustworthy and professional powersupply reviewer. -.- gtfo

ehm yeah and Johnny Guru is employeed by Corsair haha  ;)

Wow 1 test.

The PSU failed the warm testing in JohnyGURU's review - if you even read it.

I also going to leave this video here.

For people that are exaly interessted in psu´s.

its allways funny to see people make statements about single 12V rail are being better lol.

ehm yeah and Johnny Guru is employeed by Corsair haha  ;)

Does that make his negative opinion any less trustworthy? no if he is biased he would write the CX series of as good but Corsair knows themself that the CX series is not suited for gaming builds and it was never marketed for gaming builds. 

I also going to leave this video here.

For people that are exaly interessted in psu´s.

Fun fact: AXi are multi-rail cause some of the original single rail ones overloaded by themselves and some even caught fire ^_^

I've had mine operating at above 60oC so there is that (it was the case exhaust).

PMSL

I've had mine operating at above 60oC so there is that (it was the case exhaust).

The PS4 operates at 40*C internal and 60*C exhaust. Your point?

If you were maxing it out @ 60*C you'd no longer have a PC with which to brag about it

Does that make his negative opinion any less trustworthy?

nope thats not what i was saying.

What i was saying is that CX series are not the best quality psu´s out there.

But they are definitely not the worst either.

According to the pricing, they are ofc at the lower spectrum of the market.

It also depends on which particular version (revision) of the CX series you talk about.

But i know allot of people wo have a CX unit in their gaming machines with ms i7´s and GTX970´s or what not.

without any issues realy.

Ofc a failing psu can allways happen, we still talk about elektronics for that matter.

nope thats not what i was saying.

What i was saying is that CX series are not the best quality psu´s out there.

But they are definitely not the worst either.

According to the pricing, they are ofc at the lower spectrum of the market.

It also depends on which particular version (revision) of the CX series you talk about.

But i know allot of people wo have a CX unit in their gaming machines with i7´s and GTX970´s or what not.

without any issues realy.

Ofc a failing psu can allways happen, we still talk about elektronics for that matter.

I ran a Diablotek PSU with a 6850, nothing blew up, does that make it decent?

I ran a Diablotek PSU with a 6850, nothing blew up, does that make it decent?

does that matter for this topic at all?

does that matter for this topic at all?

Using your logic

"I know someone who uses it so it's not bad!"

The fact that not every single one blows up doesn't justify saying it's okay when the unit is simply poor quality. Chinese capacitors rated for 85*C, 30*C ambient temp tolerance, poor voltage and ripple suppression, mediocre build quality. It's no better than Thermalfake Smart or any other Chinese unit. CWT have an iffy track record with their units ranging from solid to flat out unusable.

I never intended to make a debate thread lol

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

I never intended to make a debate thread lol

It's not your fault - this debate happens every time someone brings up the CX. Fact of the matter is that they are a liability for a gaming machine and trust me, few manufacturer will RMA a component if the PSU fries it.

CX are bad and a fire hazard -

just to quote your logic,

it doesnt make sense to me i´m sorry.

its not that i agree or disagree with you on any point.

But there is just more to the story.

I just stand to my point, that the CX series are not the best in the world.

But also not the worst either.

I dont see any problem why a CX600 should have any issues with running a locked i7.

That was what this whole thread was about.

I would personaly not recommend them in an powerhungry X99 setup, or Xeon E5, or FX9590, and such for that matter.

But thats a totaly diffrent ball game.

just to quote your logic,

it doesnt make sense to me i´m sorry.

I already pointed out why they are bad - they have started fires in the past and I've even linked one of the videos on the subject actually showing the thing smoking more than a middle-aged truck driver.

You can ask the people who've had the things die on them and/or fry components. @EllieThePurpleFuzzy lost an i7 and a GPU to 2 consecutive dead CXs. 2 other users reported it "blowing up with a loud bang" - one of them got off easy, the other lost a GPU and an SSD. I seem to remember a motherboard being fried as well a few weeks ago.

CX are for office PCs with i3s and USB printers. Not for a gaming PC.