old top mount case and new power supply

techno10

So I have an older Lian-Li case that is a top mounting power supply case. I really like the case and have been using it for years as it is all aluminum and thumb screws for pretty much everything. That said I've been having problems with video cards+heat+power supplies. I recently bought a corsair cx750m and it lasted all of 2 days before a loud pop. Before that I think I had a generic cool master and while it worked I seemed to have to underclock my last GPU to make it stable (was using a gtx 760).

I'm running a newer i5 with the stock cooler, 16 gigs of ram and a GTX 970. I recently got the GTX and figured I'd upgrade my power supply. Reading reviews it seems like the entry level corsair isn't good and is known to have problems. That said I'm worried about buying a Gold rated evga and having the same problems if it's related to heat of the CPU+GPU+power supply...

so I guess my question is.. Do I need a new bottom mount power supply case and upgrade to a gold level/tier power supply? can I keep my current case and just upgrade to gold power supply? 

I don't overclock my CPU and my GPU might be slightly overclocked from the factory. Are the stock intel cooler really that bad??

Looking for suggestions.. I rather ultimately keep my case if the top mounting isn't a huge deal.

thanks,
Mike

So I have an older Lian-Li case that is a top mounting power supply case. I really like the case and have been using it for years as it is all aluminum and thumb screws for pretty much everything. That said I've been having problems with video cards+heat+power supplies. I recently bought a corsair cx750m and it lasted all of 2 days before a loud pop. Before that I think I had a generic cool master and while it worked I seemed to have to underclock my last GPU to make it stable (was using a gtx 760).

I'm running a newer i5 with the stock cooler, 16 gigs of ram and a GTX 970. I recently got the GTX and figured I'd upgrade my power supply. Reading reviews it seems like the entry level corsair isn't good and is known to have problems. That said I'm worried about buying a Gold rated evga and having the same problems if it's related to heat of the CPU+GPU+power supply...

so I guess my question is.. Do I need a new bottom mount power supply case and upgrade to a gold level/tier power supply? can I keep my current case and just upgrade to gold power supply? 

I don't overclock my CPU and my GPU might be slightly overclocked from the factory. Are the stock intel cooler really that bad??

Looking for suggestions.. I rather ultimately keep my case if the top mounting isn't a huge deal.

thanks,

Mike

Stock coolers will handle the CPU they came with plus maybe a little OCing.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

thanks,

Mike

you dont need to buttom mount and cx's are just plain bad, you can get a good psu for less

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I would get an EVGA SuperNOVA

A top mounted PSU case should be fine as long as you have PSU fan side down.

you dont need to buttom mount and cx's are just plain bad, you can get a good psu for less

Just saying, my older brother has a i7-4790k @4.2GHz, a Zotax AMP EXTREME GTX 980ti, 10 Fans, and 6 Drives running on a CX750M. Proof is in the pudding.

post-168944-0-05222000-1442808948_thumb.

*He does plan on upgrading to a gold or platinum rated PSU down the road.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Just saying, my older brother has a i7-4790k @4.2GHz, a Zotax AMP EXTREME GTX 980ti, 10 Fans, and 6 Drives running on a CX750M. Proof is in the pudding.

attachicon.gif0806151737.jpg

I wish your brother all the best.. I thought that the CX750M was going to be fine for me and maybe I got a lemon but overall I'm honestly not seeing very many good reviews in general. That's why I'm posting here.. I really thought it was fine as I don't overclock and my system isn't massive (2 regular 7400 rpm drives and 2 ssds, 4 case fans).

Mike

attachicon.gif0806151737.jpg

they are meant for basic office pc's not highend rigs, and just being gold or platinum doesn't make the psu good, there are 80+ bronze that have been better then 80+ gold, also please don't waste more money then you should on getting a corsair psu
Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

they are meant for basic office pc's not highend rigs, and just being gold or platinum doesn't make the psu good, there are 80+ bronze that have been better then 80+ gold, also please don't waste more money then you should on getting a corsair psu

When he started the build he had a G3258 and 750ti. The upgrade process was very rapid and now he's saving for a higher end power supply.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

When he started the build he had a G3258 and 750ti. The upgrade process was very rapid and now he's saving for a higher end power supply.

but still please don't let him waste his money on a high end corsair psu
Spoiler

but still please don't let him waste his money on a high end corsair psu

There's nothing wrong with high end Corsair PSU's, they have excellent build quality, and components, and yes they're expensive more so than similar brands with similar features but in such a high end build does it really matter if you "waste" a little bit of money to get a really bad ass PSU? You don't ALWAYS need to get the best bang for the buck product. It's like oh, you have the ability to buy a BMW? you should just get a Honda, cause it does the same thing. When money isn't necessarily an object preference becomes important.

There's nothing wrong with high end Corsair PSU's, they have excellent build quality, and components, and yes they're expensive more so than similar brands with similar features but in such a high end build does it really matter if you "waste" a little bit of money to get a really bad ass PSU? You don't ALWAYS need to get the best bang for the buck product. It's like oh, you have the ability to buy a BMW? you should just get a Honda, cause it does the same thing. When money isn't necessarily an object preference becomes important.

yes there good but when your spending $50+ for a specific brand over one that's just as good from a different brand then you are going beyond the points of fanboyism and entering the gates of plain stupid
Spoiler

yes there good but when your spending $50+ for a specific brand over one that's just as good from a different brand then you are going beyond the points of fanboyism and entering the gates of plain stupid

Keyword being preference. There is nothing wrong with buying a product from a company that you trust, and knows makes quality components.

Keyword being preference. There is nothing wrong with buying a product from a company that you trust, and knows makes quality components.

preference can only defend you to a certain extent, I have a preference for nvidia but I won't spend $50+ for an nvidia you over an amd gpu
Spoiler

preference can only defend you to a certain extent, I have a preference for nvidia but I won't spend $50+ for an nvidia you over an amd gpu

If the features are right then I would. You're like some people, you're not anti-FanBoyism- you're anti-Corsair. Corsair makes really high quality components (yes some of their low end stuff is crap, but then again it's low end), that look great and perform well. Yes they're typically more expensive but they're a premium brand. I understand there are very similar items at lower prices but like I said it's like telling someone who wants a BMW to get a Honda because they both do the same thing and a Honda costs less.

EDIT: Also in the greater scheme of things computer parts are relatively cheap, 25-50$ isn't a huge deal to get something that you really want over something that someone else wants you to get because it does the same thing for less.

If the features are right then I would. You're like some people, you're not anti-FanBoyism- you're anti-Corsair. Corsair makes really high quality components (yes some of their low end stuff is crap, but then again it's low end), that look great and perform well. Yes they're typically more expensive but they're a premium brand. I understand there are very similar items at lower prices but like I said it's like telling someone who wants a BMW to get a Honda because they both do the same thing and a Honda costs less.

corsair does not make a damn thing all they do is rebrand stuff for a premium, evga, wanted, xfx, and more all use quality psus from quality oems(except the low end psus from evga) with the same/similar features for significantly less, preference can not defend buying overpriced stuff
Spoiler

corsair does not make a damn thing all they do is rebrand stuff for a premium, evga, wanted, xfx, and more all use quality psus from quality oems(except the low end psus from evga) with the same/similar features for significantly less, preference can not defend buying overpriced stuff

The higher end Corsair PSU's are made by them, the low end ones (CX, VS) are re-branded. Also you haven't considered compatibility with other Corsair Components using software like Corsair Link or Corsair Utility Engine, both of which he uses. You don't like Corsair, that's blatantly clear, you just hate stuff. "the greatest psu list known to man" in you sig even features Corsair PSU in the top tier, which if it has the same or similar components to other power supplies in the tier and just costs more what's the big deal? Preference does play a role in things. I'm not even sure if you have any personal experience with desktops to the point where you can say what components to recommend. I know there are scattered horror stories with the CX series of PSU but just like people you only ever hear the bad stuff they do. My friend had duel 270x's and 4300 on a CX750M. My older brother has a 980ti and a 4790k on a CX750M, I have a 960 and a i3-4150 on a CX500M. You only ever hear the bad stuff, and from more than personal experience I can tell you that Corsair power supplies are fine, yes there are often better options for a fraction of the price less, but when it comes down to it things like features, looks, compatibility, and preference do matter.

The higher end Corsair PSU's are made by them, the low end ones (CX, VS) are re-branded.

Correction:

AXi = Flextronics

AX = Seasonic

HXi, RMi, RMx, RM, CX, VS = CWT

CS, SF = Great Wall