Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 vs NZXT S340?

Go to solution Solved by DigitalFruitcake,

go for the r2 if you don't care much about looks but if you want something prettier, then shoot for the s340 for sure. it doesn't lack that many more features than the r2

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Toward the end of October I will be building my Dad a workstation/light gaming PC for his home office setup, but I am torn on what case to use, the S340 from NZXT or the Arc Midi R2 from Fractal. I've heard about the S340 being a bit less fully featured than the R2 (skimping in some areas) but I am really drawn to it's full metal construction and it seems very highly regarded. I will be air cooling (reusing an old 212 Evo) and just want to know which is the better case. The price difference is negligible so that shouldn't really be a deciding factor.

Thanks guys!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I'd go with the Arc Midi R2.

Does it have to be mid tower? You can save a pretty penny by going mATX

Does it have to be mid tower? You can save a pretty penny by going mATX

Kind has to be a mid tower, I already have an ATX board for it :)

EDIT: 250 posts, woohoo!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

Kind has to be a mid tower, I already have an ATX board for it :)

Gah! Ok, well out of those two, I'd go with the Arc Midi R2 because it's not even in the s340's league

Gah! Ok, well out of those two, I'd go with the Arc Midi R2 because it's not even in the s340's league

I'd go with the Arc Midi R2.

Hmm... seeing a lot of love for the Fractal here, odd considering the reputation of the S340. Well, thanks guys, looks like I'm going with the R2 :)

Hmm... seeing a lot of love for the Fractal here, odd considering the reputation of the S340. Well, thanks guys, looks like I'm going with the R2 :)

I like my Arc Midi :D

some LED fans would be cool though...

i prefer the AMR2 over the 340 for the shear interior size and less "confinement".

the PSU cover is nice, but adds to access/cooling issues. the lower fan only

cools the PSU/HDD, but the interior needs most of the cooling it can get.

i prefer the AMR2 over the 340 for the shear interior size and less "confinement".

the PSU cover is nice, but adds to access/cooling issues. the lower fan only

cools the PSU/HDD, but the interior needs most of the cooling it can get.

Thanks a lot, think I'll get the R2 :)

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Toward the end of October I will be building my Dad a workstation/light gaming PC for his home office setup, but I am torn on what case to use, the S340 from NZXT or the Arc Midi R2 from Fractal. I've heard about the S340 being a bit less fully featured than the R2 (skimping in some areas) but I am really drawn to it's full metal construction and it seems very highly regarded. I will be air cooling (reusing an old 212 Evo) and just want to know which is the better case. The price difference is negligible so that shouldn't really be a deciding factor.

Thanks guys!

arc midi 2

BigDay

go for the r2 if you don't care much about looks but if you want something prettier, then shoot for the s340 for sure. it doesn't lack that many more features than the r2

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

sorry, but the midi r2 is feature rich compared to the 340.

it is deffo easier to use a AIO cooler(s), accepts huge air coolers and

is upgradable to custom water cooling far easier the the 340.