New rig, looking for quick second opinions

Mooru

This is a build for a friend which I've selected the parts for. I personally think it's pretty balanced. Just looking for some second opinions because I might be wrong :)

Case: Fractal Design R4

CPU: Intel i5 4670k

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 

GPU: Gigabyte 7970

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 600 Watt

SSD: Samsung 840 250 GB

And later on I'm passing my H60 on to him so he can have a modest overclock while I go full custom myself.

This is purely a gaming rig and although I know it might be a bit much RAM, it's on sale in the place I'm getting it so it is cheap.

Any opinions are welcome.

i like it, i approve, i;d probably add an hdd for storage and pictures and music and stuff

I told him he should get a HDD but he says he uses an external drive for that which he shares with his girlfriend so I respect his wishes.

Wait for 9XXX series.

He needs it now

Ssd may not be enough for all of your stuff.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I told him he should get a HDD but he says he uses an external drive for that which he shares with his girlfriend so I respect his wishes.

He needs it now

It comes out in September if he can wait that long.

Wait for 9XXX series.

You say that a lot haha!

This is a build for a friend which I've selected the parts for. I personally think it's pretty balanced. Just looking for some second opinions because I might be wrong :)

Case: Fractal Design R4

CPU: Intel i5 4670k

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 

GPU: Gigabyte 7970

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 600 Watt

SSD: Samsung 840 250 GB

And later on I'm passing my H60 on to him so he can have a modest overclock while I go full custom myself.

This is purely a gaming rig and although I know it might be a bit much RAM, it's on sale in the place I'm getting it so it is cheap.

Any opinions are welcome.

Expand on storage, get a 1TB (or higher) mechanical HDD for mass storage.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Yes I do but they are so darn close.

Yeah, I agree with you man but it's funny seeing on every post "Wait for 9xxx series"

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

As @CoolBeans said wait. For 9000 series also since you will only run 1 Card i suggest getting a GA Z87 HD3 (it's pretty much the same board with one 16x and one 4x slot

A 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive is really cheap. You could throw one into your build. Why not get the 7970 Ghz Edition if it's not a lot money? Although I have no idea of the price difference between the 7970 and the 7970 Ghz Edition.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

You say that a lot haha!

Expand on storage, get a 1TB (or higher) mechanical HDD for mass storage.

I told him he should get that too but he doesn't want it. So it's his choice. I was more wondering about the rest of the build besides storage though :) thanks

It comes out in September if he can wait that long.

His old one dies so it's not really an option but thanks. But the presumed 9970 will be more expensive than the 7970 is now right? With the budget he gave me, I was thinking around 400 euros for the graphics card.

As @CoolBeans said wait. For 9000 series also since you will only run 1 Card i suggest getting a GA Z87 HD3 (it's pretty much the same board with one 16x and one 4x slot

cool cheers for the tip

A 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive is really cheap. You could throw one into your build. Why not get the 7970 Ghz Edition if it's not a lot money? Although I have no idea of the price difference between the 7970 and the 7970 Ghz Edition.

He doesn't want storage. I told him to get a drive too. And I haven't decided exactly which 7970 yet. I was thinking off getting the highest overclocked one if it wasn't too expensive idd :)

He doesn't want storage. I told him to get a drive too.

Oh okay, Fair enough. Lets hope his SSD doesn't die on him :P

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

His old one dies so it's not really an option but thanks. But the presumed 9970 will be more expensive than the 7970 is now right? With the budget he gave me, I was thinking around 400 euros for the graphics card.

The 9XXX series will probably have a more powerful card at that price point, I am thinking. What he could do is buy everything except the GPU and buy a 9XXX series when it comes out.

The 9XXX series will probably have a more powerful card at that price point, I am thinking. What he could do is buy everything except the GPU and buy a 9XXX series when it comes out.

That is probably true but will it be out immediatly in september or will the cheaper price point card come out later. Isn't it a bit silly to wait on stuff you're not sure about yet?

Anyways, thanks everyone for the tips. I'll mention once again he should buy a 1TB drive too and that he should consider waiting a month for a 9970 or 9950 or whatever they'll be called. 

Yes I do but they are so darn close.

You should really just put 'Wait for 9XXX series' in your sig.

As for the build, either bump up the psu to a 800w for OC'ed CF room or bump the mobo down to a G41 PC Mate if he doesn't plan to CF.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That is probably true but will it be out immediatly in september or will the cheaper price point card come out later. Isn't it a bit silly to wait on stuff you're not sure about yet?

I am not sure how AMD releases there cars but probably the 99XX will get released at the same time on release. A little but if rumors are true then the 9970 will be 5-10% faster than a Titan.

You should really just put 'Wait for 9XXX series' in your sig.

K I put it in the fine print, if you highlight the sig you will see it.