Sold a PC on Ebay, Buyer is asking for refund one month later and has admitted to modifying hardware.

Davehaslanded

So short story; I built a PC from parts i had. Sold it on eBay, tested, working fine. Guy has had it a month. Started a case claiming it had stopped working. Apparently it crashes and hangs. He's mentioned he installed a 3rd party GPU in the PC (since removed) thus modifying the hardware. The PC only had a 250w PSU. My assumption is the problem he had was caused by too much power draw, but he's stating its still happening without GPU. I'm thinking he may have overloaded the PSU. He also mentioned that he has repeatedly tried fixing problem by removing Bios battery (no idea why, its an fm2 mobo with a bios reset button)

I refused refund based on the premise he has had it over a month and has mentioned he adjusted the hardware, but Ebay returns policy states that items must not be altered in any way. I'm concerned because a lot of posts suggest that eBay side with buyers 90% of the time. With him admitting installing a GPU and removing bios components, what are my chances? Also got to hope i get an eBay investigator who knows anything about computers. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

So short story; I built a PC from parts i had. Sold it on eBay, tested, working fine. Guy has had it a month. Started a case claiming it had stopped working. Apparently it crashes and hangs. He's mentioned he installed a 3rd party GPU in the PC (since removed) thus modifying the hardware. The PC only had a 250w PSU. My assumption is the problem he had was caused by too much power draw, but he's stating its still happening without GPU. I'm thinking he may have overloaded the PSU. He also mentioned that he has repeatedly tried fixing problem by removing Bios battery (no idea why, its an fm2 mobo with a bios reset button)

I refused refund based on the premise he has had it over a month and has mentioned he adjusted the hardware, but Ebay returns policy states that items must not be altered in any way. I'm concerned because a lot of posts suggest that eBay side with buyers 90% of the time. With him admitting installing a GPU and removing bios components, what are my chances? Also got to hope i get an eBay investigator who knows anything about computers. 

Lots of screenshots etc so you can prove that he admitted it, and you should be fine.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

I mean if he altered the hard ware its not your problem.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I mean, it really was altered.... I would never let that guy refund a system if he messes with it and broke it.

I rang eBay a week ago explaining that he had installed 3rd party hardware, and she had no idea what i was going on about and he claims installing a gpu in the PCI-e slots its 'fair use' for a PC.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Lol typical eBay, don't worry about it hahaha

He should definitely worry. eBay has a reputation for screwing over sellers in this sort of case, as they massively favour the buyer. 

@Davehaslanded if he has changed hardware, you should tell him and eBay that it is in no way your fault, and that the product you sold him was functioning as advertised. 

He should definitely worry. eBay has a reputation for screwing over sellers in this sort of case, as they massively favour the buyer. 

@Davehaslanded if he has changed hardware, you should tell him and eBay that it is in no way your fault, and that the product you sold him was functioning as advertised. 

He's trying to claim otherwise. 

Spoiler

We can piss through his letterbox if you want? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I rang eBay a week ago explaining that he had installed 3rd party hardware, and she had no idea what i was going on about and he claims installing a gpu in the PCI-e slots its 'fair use' for a PC.

And this, is why I will never sell a single thing on ebay.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

He's trying to claim otherwise. 

He's saying it's fair use for the PC, right? While it's not something that is dangerous, it is also nothing wrong with the product you sold him. You can also say that you didn't offer any warranty or returns for problems caused later down the line by his own use. 

If he tampered with the hardware, than it's not your fault. That's like buying a phone, then receiving it and ripping it open, then try to send it back because it doesn't work. I've heard eBay sides with the buyer, but I'd take it up with them directly.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

He had it a Month working, than he changed Hardware and now wants his Money back? What a Joke.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

And this, is why I will never sell a single thing on ebay.

Selling on eBay is fine if you make the description very clear and specific with this kind of thing. A lot of people just put "This is my PC for sale, here's the specs:" and that's about it. You need to add in specific details and make it very clear that you are not responsible for any issues that occur after the buyer has modified the product, either in software or hardware. 

If you don't, eBay is known to take the buyer's side, as it can be argued that it was "unclear" that you wouldn't offer a warranty or support. 

He modified the hardware that's enough reason alone to deny him. Fair use is using the PC only, not changing the parts/removing/adding w.e.

Also, I think the refund time limit is a month anyways (assuming it wasn't a fault of the seller).

Hell, show eBay this thread =p. Probably wont help a lot but it's fairly obvious he doesn't have right to a refund in this case.

I'd phone eBay now and explain the situation, and maybe you can give them an insight on the hardware front, rather than trying to have a conversation on screen.

If he brings eBay into this whole mess, you can counterclaim that he modified the hardware.

What I'd be most worried about is he's now claiming it's happening even without the GPU installed, so if eBay's claim squad isn't PC savvy, then they might just decide in the buyer's favour. 

Theres a difference between being an ebay seller and a guy who sold something on ebay. If the former yes I would worry. I think ebay likes it when you just send it and they sell it for you and take 20 percent.

If the later you could tell him you will fix it and then when you get it......................the options for mayham are truly limitless

On to phone wit eBay at the moment. She sounds positive about my position. But she clearly doesn't really understand the issue. She is looking for a line that says 'Yes i modified the item'. trying to explain to her that admitting to installing a GPU and removing the bios battery is an item alteration.

Update: Also tried explaing how this may have damaged power supply and motherboard. The buyer is clearly not PC savvy. 

Spoiler

I think if you explain clearly as stated in this post, you shouldn't have any problem !

See if you can find out more about what GPU he put in the PC, and see what its power draw is compared to the PSU you sent the PC with, if its more, then claim he has done something himself to fuck the pc up, also make sure to send all the links required, e,g the manufacturers site stating the required power draw. 

Good luck in winning the case

I think if you explain clearly as stated in this post, you shouldn't have any problem !

The problem is in this post i'm explaining to people who have at the very least a loose concept of how a PC works. These call center guys are not from a native english speaking county and have no more idea than your mum or nan. 

Spoiler

Then good luck and keep us updated !

But basically if you have a santence from this guy saying that after changing the GPU the computer stopped working, it's over no ? No need to be linus to understand that right ?

Hope you make it !

The problem is in this post i'm explaining to people who have at the very least a loose concept of how a PC works. These call center guys are not from a native english speaking county and have no more idea than your mum or nan. 

If they still have no clue, try asking if they'd ask their superior if they could find you someone who at least has some knowledge on computers... Don't let them fuck you over because they don't understand the situation  :lol: