Upgrading my GPU what board partner should I go with

Well since I had my other thread running last week and sorry to bring up a similar topic but it seems you guys convinced me to get a R9 390/390X over the GTX 970 The only other question that I have is what 3rd Party board partner should I go with in the past I have always bought ASUS cards is there any other brand I should be aware of that has say better thermals & noise ratio 

Also another quick question is a Corsair RM650 good enough PSU for a 390/390X as I know there power consumption is still rather high on full load 

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 4690K OC 4.4GHz GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Twin Frozr V Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A Case: Coolermaster HAF X

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2xWD Caviar Green Drives 500GB & 2TB PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 12GB (3x4GB) Dual Kit 1333MHz CL-9

before the fanboys roll in: RM series isnt crap, they're actually fairly decent. if you insist on saying otherwise, provide solid proof about said specific power supply.

EDIT: on topic: asus is more of an nvidia sided company, but i've heard good stuff about MSI, gigabyte and sapphire.

Sapphire or EVGA.

They are both the most reliable board partners for team green and red.

before the fanboys roll in: RM series isnt crap, they're actually fairly decent. if you insist on saying otherwise, provide solid proof about said specific power supply.

I am not trying to be bias fanboy towards it I know the PSU is rather decent I have it was just a question I had that was all whether I would need to get a high PSU for the power consumption the higher end R9 cards have  

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 4690K OC 4.4GHz GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Twin Frozr V Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A Case: Coolermaster HAF X

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2xWD Caviar Green Drives 500GB & 2TB PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 12GB (3x4GB) Dual Kit 1333MHz CL-9

Well since I had my other thread running last week and sorry to bring up a similar topic but it seems you guys convinced me to get a R9 390/390X over the GTX 970 The only other question that I have is what 3rd Party board partner should I go with in the past I have always bought ASUS cards is there any other brand I should be aware of that has say better thermals & noise ratio 

Also another quick question is a Corsair RM650 good enough PSU for a 390/390X as I know there power consumption is still rather high on full load 

just pick the cheapest one from these 4 brands: MSI, Asus, EVGA, Gigabytes, or even Zotac and buy it. Cant really go wrong with these

You'll have no issues with that power supply if it's functioning correctly. For a board partner, I'd suggest Sapphire or MSI. Sapphire runs quieter and a bit cooler while MSI has higher core clock.

XFX= Full cover waterblock available. Good clockers usually, and cooling is sufficient for core, but not stellar, and VRM's tend to get hot

Sapphire= No water block available, but has excellent air cooling. Require 8+8 pin connectors versus 8+6. Some would prefer that, in hopes of obtaining higher OC results, but unfortunately OC results so far on the Nitro and Tri-X are only mediocre-good

Gigabyte= No waterblocks. Well built card, decent cooling, but the voltage is hard locked, so expect clock ceiling to be very limited... most likely 1100 or less.

PowerColor= Offers full cover waterblocks, and also has excellent air cooling, but so far there have only been weak-mediocre-ish overclocking results. 1150 or less on the core seems to be the norm, with most landing between 1130-1140, even despite it's excellent cooling.

MSI= No full cover waterblocks available. Stock air cooling is good but not great with regards to the core temps, but seems to be very good for the VRM temps. So far, these seem to have the best overclocking results. Most poeople hitting 1160-1200

Asus= (DCU2) Full cover block available. Not much info on these, but theyappears to use the same cooler as the 290 series, which was a poor performing cooler. I have seen very few purchasing the Asus card. Overclock results seem to be average so far, but have very little data to make a general claim.

Asus= (Strix) Unsure on waterblocks with these... stock cooling is good. Very little OC information, but from what I have seen, they are average. Probably in line with Sapphire when it comes to binning.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

@manikyath no its not crap, but for its price no dont get it, you can get better for less

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

It's okay http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363, performance is good, build quality is eh.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I am not trying to be bias fanboy towards it I know the PSU is rather decent I have it was just a question I had that was all whether I would need to get a high PSU for the power consumption the higher end R9 cards have  

you'll be fine with anyone, but i recommend to get one from gigabyte, sapphire, or msi

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

You'll have no issues with that power supply if it's functioning correctly. For a board partner, I'd suggest Sapphire or MSI. Sapphire runs quieter and a bit cooler while MSI has higher core clock.

Yeah I have been thinking of considering other Board partners over ASUS (there not a bad partner I do like there cards) ill take a look on some online retailers for the best prices 

@manikyath no its not crap, but for its price no dont get it, you can get better for less

well, thats true, but theres people around the forum that claim the RM series spontainiously combusts when a butterfly flaps its wings in rural china.

you'll be fine with anyone, but i recommend to get one from gigabyte, sapphire, or msi

Spoiler

So from my understanding you guys are mainly recommending me get MSI, Sapphire or a Gigabyte card they all seem reasonable thanks for the info guys ill look around a bit further online retailers to see what I like 

For AMD I suggest Sapphire.

If you see a MSI one significantly cheaper those are other good. I can't reccodmend anything else.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

So from my understanding you guys are mainly recommending me get MSI, Sapphire or a Gigabyte card they all seem reasonable thanks for the info guys ill look around a bit further online retailers to see what I like 

I wouldn't really recommend the volt locked 390/x Gigabyte cards. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

going from what I have now the R9 270X it will be a rather large performance jump regardless of what board partner I go with the MSI ones look nice that has also sparked another question are Back plates really necessary as I have herd it does help with some heat dissipation or are they mainly for show   

From what I understand, this time around with the Direct CU 3 cooler Asus did a much better job (on both sides but especially AMD). Just be aware the default fan profile is set too low for cooling at the upper end of the running temperatures (too much of a priority given over to silence). This is very quickly and easily fixed in Afterburner - although I do this for every card, it's not down to any one specific model manufacturer.

That being said its a bit more difficult to find in stock in the UK - Amazon and Ebuyer have the Sapphire 390X Nitro model in stock atm for £319.98 which is a good price.

going from what I have now the R9 270X it will be a rather large performance jump regardless of what board partner I go with the MSI ones look nice that has also sparked another question are Back plates really necessary as I have herd it does help with some heat dissipation or are they mainly for show   

Back plates with thermal pads pads on them will help dissipate heat on the back of the board. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

From what I understand, this time around with the Direct CU 3 cooler Asus did a much better job (on both sides but especially AMD). Just be aware the default fan profile is set too low for cooling at the upper end of the running temperatures (too much of a priority given over to silence). This is very quickly and easily fixed in Afterburner - although I do this for every card, it's not down to any one specific model manufacturer.

That being said its a bit more difficult to find in stock in the UK - Amazon and Ebuyer have the Sapphire 390X Nitro model in stock atm for £319.98 which is a good price.

seems rather decent price I have also been looking on Scan as well there is a few there in-stock but with the Sapphire Tri-X cooler and not the Nitro  

Back plates with thermal pads pads on them will help dissipate heat on the back of the board. 

So would you recommend a card with a back plate instead of bear PCB if it helps with cooling of course 

So would you recommend a card with a back plate instead of bear PCB if it helps with cooling of course

It depends... Though backplates don't really affect the temps drastically. If you're deciding between the Sapphire and msi 390 then you don't have to worry about the backplate since msi's backplate is just for show and sapphire doesn't have one.

It depends... Though backplates don't really affect the temps drastically. If you're deciding between the Sapphire and msi 390 then you don't have to worry about the backplate since msi's backplate is just for show and sapphire doesn't have one.

Okay then thanks for the info I am leaning towards the MSI ones