Best ciem under $2k?

iShad

I was quite set on getting a pair of noble k10 during their black friday sale, but as I keep researching around there are a few ciems I have never heard of before that people are recommending over the k10 such as HUM Pristine Reference, Rhines Stage 7, Lime Ears Aether, JH Layla etc. It seems to me like the ciem market is all over the place, and it's hard to find proper comparisons and reviews as not many people have tried more than a few pairs. My current daily driver is a pair of th-900 so I'm looking for a ciem that's just as high on musicality and fun factor. I mainly listen to anime/game music so something like the FitEar Monet 17 interests me a lot, if only it's not such a pain to get one. Also 1964 a12 is a nice option, but I would feel like a chump if I have to pay the retail price when I had the chance to backed their kickstarter :(.

Probably the wrong forum to ask. I used to peruse through audiophile forums and I recall JH Audio and Westone were the favorites. UE is also top notch but they got bought out by Logitech a few years back so I'm not sure if their quality has been affected. 

I was quite set on getting a pair of noble k10 during their black friday sale, but as I keep researching around there are a few ciems I have never heard of before that people are recommending over the k10 such as HUM Pristine Reference, Rhines Stage 7, Lime Ears Aether, JH Layla etc. It seems to me like the ciem market is all over the place, and it's hard to find proper comparisons and reviews as not many people have tried more than a few pairs. My current daily driver is a pair of th-900 so I'm looking for a ciem that's just as high on musicality and fun factor. I mainly listen to anime/game music so something like the FitEar Monet 17 interests me a lot, if only it's not such a pain to get one. Also 1964 a12 is a nice option, but I would feel like a chump if I have to pay the retail price when I had the chance to backed their kickstarter :(.

I own the Adel A6 from 1964, and I'm very happy with it. There are a few different reviews that I've come across for top of the line in ears, and I'll link them in a bit. The Adel series has a HUGE sound stage, so if that's something you like, you should definitely go for them, as they rival many full size cans for their sound stage. It's that good. Plus, they sound really good on anything that doesn't have any hiss (They do have a sensitivity of 117db/mw, after all...). This review section hasn't been finished yet, but it does have some good comparisons, and it's pretty objective, as far as relative qualities go, and as far as head-fi goes: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769843/fit-for-a-bat-flagship-iems-shootout-8-ct6e-7-h8p-6-jh13-5-k10-4-bd4-2-3-a12 This second one is from innerfidelity, and it's not totally comprehensive, but it does have many of the major players: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed#PMxR1bWVDtymWo05.97 I have had the chance to listen to the entire 1964 Adel line, and IMO, the A10 is far superior to the A12, but I also discovered after some fairly extensive listening that the Denon D7K was not to my tastes, so the A12 would probably suit you very well, given your esteem for the TH900. The A12 has some very low reaching bass. It's really quite impressive, IMO. The first link I posted has some better comparisons for you to look at. 

Hope that helps!

Oh, also, look here: http://theheadphonelist.com/custom-in-ear-monitors-reviews-list/ be aware that there are universals and headphones in that list, but there are several customs in there. Of particular interest, at least to me, are these: http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/custom-art-harmony-8-pro-silicone-shelled-custom-in-ear-monitor-review/ I personally like the idea of silicone in ears, and I'm going to be getting the customart music one as a trial for the concept of silicone. If I had known about the Harmony8 before buying the A6, I might have gone for it. Piotr is really a great guy.

Don't mind about paying full price for the Adel stuff. It's well worth the price, even at full MSRP (At least, IMO).

Probably the wrong forum to ask. I used to peruse through audiophile forums and I recall JH Audio and Westone were the favorites. UE is also top notch but they got bought out by Logitech a few years back so I'm not sure if their quality has been affected. 

It's really not the wrong forum to ask, although there are certainly going to be more people with experience with different CIEMs at other forums. That doesn't mean that OP can't be advised from here though. (as above :P)

I suggest buying a car and $50 earbuds but that's none of my business

Then don't post on this thread. That's a pointless suggestion for someone who has already paid $1400 (or more/less, depending on where/when/if they were used when purchased) for their current headphones.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I own the Adel A6 from 1964, and I'm very happy with it. There are a few different reviews that I've come across for top of the line in ears, and I'll link them in a bit. The Adel series has a HUGE sound stage, so if that's something you like, you should definitely go for them, as they rival many full size cans for their sound stage. It's that good. Plus, they sound really good on anything that doesn't have any hiss (They do have a sensitivity of 117db/mw, after all...). This review section hasn't been finished yet, but it does have some good comparisons, and it's pretty objective, as far as relative qualities go, and as far as head-fi goes: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769843/fit-for-a-bat-flagship-iems-shootout-8-ct6e-7-h8p-6-jh13-5-k10-4-bd4-2-3-a12 This second one is from innerfidelity, and it's not totally comprehensive, but it does have many of the major players: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed#PMxR1bWVDtymWo05.97 I have had the chance to listen to the entire 1964 Adel line, and IMO, the A10 is far superior to the A12, but I also discovered after some fairly extensive listening that the Denon D7K was not to my tastes, so the A12 would probably suit you very well, given your esteem for the TH900. The A12 has some very low reaching bass. It's really quite impressive, IMO. The first link I posted has some better comparisons for you to look at. 

Hope that helps!

Oh, also, look here: http://theheadphonelist.com/custom-in-ear-monitors-reviews-list/ be aware that there are universals and headphones in that list, but there are several customs in there. Of particular interest, at least to me, are these: http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/custom-art-harmony-8-pro-silicone-shelled-custom-in-ear-monitor-review/ I personally like the idea of silicone in ears, and I'm going to be getting the customart music one as a trial for the concept of silicone. If I had known about the Harmony8 before buying the A6, I might have gone for it. Piotr is really a great guy.

Don't mind about paying full price for the Adel stuff. It's well worth the price, even at full MSRP (At least, IMO).

It's really not the wrong forum to ask, although there are certainly going to be more people with experience with different CIEMs at other forums. That doesn't mean that OP can't be advised from here though. (as above :P)

Then don't post on this thread. That's a pointless suggestion for someone who has already paid $1400 (or more/less, depending on where/when/if they were used when purchased) for their current headphones.

It's pretty foolish to base a $2000 purchase from 1 person.

I posted a solid 3 sources right there, so I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I suggest buying a car and $50 earbuds but that's none of my business

Or buy a bike or commute and spend the rest of the money on something thats actually enjoyable and doesn't need to be maintained, insured, gassed, and needs to be cleaned.

Edit:

I fuckin' hate that the laptop I'm using has a grammar correcting software that makes my grammar worse than before. Hell, its adding words I'm pretty sure I didn't type.

Edited by TheDudeWhoTriesHard

Depends on whom the person is.

I posted a solid 3 sources right there, so I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

Which alludes to my first point? What are you trying to prove here.

snip

I've went through those sources before, but it's still hard to make a decision. But I guess can't go wrong with either the k10 or a12. However, I'm leaning back more towards noble for those smexy wizard designs.

Don't worry I've also posted on headfi and /r/headphones, and try to do extensive research before any major purchase. As for UE, I've heard they're too referenced for my taste.

Which alludes to my first point? What are you trying to prove here.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I don't understand why you quoted me when you said that, since I was clearly presenting multiple sources. It doesn't make any sense. The way you put it makes it look like I was telling the OP to listen to my opinion, and only my opinion. 

I've went through those sources before, but it's still hard to make a decision. But I guess can't go wrong with either the k10 or a12. However, I'm leaning back more towards noble for those smexy wizard designs.

Don't worry I've also posted on headfi and /r/headphones, and try to do extensive research before any major purchase. As for UE, I've heard they're too referenced for my taste.

The UE would probably be too flat for your tastes. I totally agree with you about the Wizard designs. They are epically good. Might even be worth it to save up a little more for those prestige editions... Keep in mind though, that Custom Art will do custom designs in Silicone, and from what Piotr told me, he'll do them for about 25 Euro...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm not trying to prove anything. I don't understand why you quoted me when you said that, since I was clearly presenting multiple sources. It doesn't make any sense. The way you put it makes it look like I was telling the OP to listen to my opinion, and only my opinion. 

Nothing wrong asking opinions. Thats why I don't understand him either.

I feel like I have nothing to contribute to this because I pretty much have a similar question that OP has. I was about to make a thread about it... until I popped up LTT and saw his thread.