New monitor

Bruu Betyr

Soon building a new rig, and am unsure on monitor. Am looking at two very different monitors, the Dell U2414H or the Asus VG248QE. I want a monitor with a nice enough looking screen and no noticable tearing or ghosting. I will be playing games like CsGo and other shooters. How much better are IPS panels than TN?

To be honest, if you get a goot TN panel, you'll be very satisfied.

i personally would go with an ultra wide i have a lg 29um67 and at first i wasn't shore about an ultrawide but now im like ultrawide all the way  

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

Soon building a new rig, and am unsure on monitor. Am looking at two very different monitors, the Dell U2414H or the Asus VG248QE. I want a monitor with a nice enough looking screen and no noticable tearing or ghosting. I will be playing games like CsGo and other shooters. How much better are IPS panels than TN?

also follow your topics 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

i personally would go with an ultra wide i have a lg 29um67 and at first i wasn't shore about an ultrawide but now im like ultrawide all the way

How many games support ultrawide though? Csgo? Elite?

How many games support ultrawide though? Csgo? Elite?

The major difference between IPS and TN is the viewing angles, as in you get no colour shift when looking at the IPS Panel from any angle, but you will do with the TN Panel on very slight angles, other than that on most TN's the colours don't 'pop' as much, they don't look as nice, and they also aren't as accurate. 

For CS:GO the 144Hz may be a good investment, it will be smoother, but obviously at 1080p it will have the drawbacks of a TN Panel. 

As for how many games support ultrawide it's a decent bit, a lot more than most people think, for a 'master list' check this link: http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

It isn't uncommon however for a game to support ultrawide and have small issues early on like menu layouts being messed up or the HUD, but this will normally be fixed in an official patch, and if not someone may work on a fix for it which you can patch in yourself. But most modern games will work fine anyway.  

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

IPS panels than TN?

Do you have a smartphone? A lot of them have IPS screens, like the samsung galaxy ones. Turn up its brightness to max and put it next to a TN if you can - you`ll see just how much GARBAGE the TN is.

The major difference between IPS and TN is the viewing angles, as in you get no colour shift when looking at the IPS Panel from any angle, but you will do with the TN Panel on very slight angles, other than that on most TN's the colours don't 'pop' as much, they don't look as nice, and they also aren't as accurate.

For CS:GO the 144Hz may be a good investment, it will be smoother, but obviously at 1080p it will have the drawbacks of a TN Panel.

As for how many games support ultrawide it's a decent bit, a lot more than most people think, for a 'master list' check this link: http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

It isn't uncommon however for a game to support ultrawide and have small issues early on like menu layouts being messed up or the HUD, but this will normally be fixed in an official patch, and if not someone may work on a fix for it which you can patch in yourself. But most modern games will work fine anyway.

Ok but tn panels won't look like complete crap, right?

Do you have a smartphone? A lot of them have IPS screens, like the samsung galaxy ones. Turn up its brightness to max and put it next to a TN if you can - you`ll see just how much GARBAGE the TN is.

Is it worth sacrifising ips for more fps though?

I guess that would depend on how competitive you are. 144hz is very smooth, it would give you an edge in fps games. but ips looks nicer and better colors.

Personally, i LOVE high fps/hs very much. And it was a fucking travesty that you had to choose for so long.

Nowadays you can get a 144hz IPS monitor for 600$ (the 1440p asus mg279q)

I know, expensive. But there are 2560x1080 30" 144hz IPS`s coming start of next year. Hopefully those get to 300/400$ then people can have an affordable 144hz IPS.

- If thats still too expensive or you cant wait. Id get the 75hz freesync IPS called LG 29um67 (the cheapest one out there right now, and you need an AMD card to have it @ 75hz)

- And if thats still too expensive i would still get a 60hz 1080p IPS... 144hz is awesome, but its worthless to me if i have to look at a super shit screen

Personally, i LOVE high fps/hs very much. And it was a fucking travesty that you had to choose for so long.

Nowadays you can get a 144hz IPS monitor for 600$ (the 1440p asus mg279q)

I know, expensive. But there are 2560x1080 30" 144hz IPS`s coming start of next year. Hopefully those get to 300/400$ then people can have an affordable 144hz IPS.

- If thats still too expensive or you cant wait. Id get the 75hz freesync IPS called LG 29um67 (the cheapest one out there right now, and you need an AMD card to have it @ 75hz)

- And if thats still too expensive i would still get a 60hz 1080p IPS... 144hz is awesome, but its worthless to me if i have to look at a super shit screen

Okay I'm soon building one and what to use the 970, but is it worth switching to 390 so I can get a 75hz ultrawide? And for gaming and productivity would you choose the 29um65 or dual Asus VG248QE?

Okay I'm soon building one and what to use the 970, but is it worth switching to 390 so I can get a 75hz ultrawide? And for gaming and productivity would you choose the 29um65 or dual Asus VG248QE?

The 29um65 is the static 60hz version.

The 29um67 is the freesync 75hz version.

And they both cost the same and are in fact the cheapest 29" ultrawides you can get.

I think, the 75hz with freesync is gona be significantly better than the static 60hz you have been used to so far. Not to mention you get a widescreen IPS, which by itself is mindblowing for gaming.

Yes, i think you will enjoy yourself way more if you get that freesync widescreen and change to an AMD card that supports it. Way more than you would have on a 16:9 120hz TN.

Also, productivity wise 21:9 is awesome. You get two 5:4 monitors side by side without a bezel, if just use windows snap to the sides. And anything with a timeline will be more comfortable to work with on 21:9 than 16:9.

As for how many games support ultrawide it's a decent bit, a lot more than most people think, for a 'master list' check this link: http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

Angry Birds Support for Ultrawide don't know why but that made me chuckle xD

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

A lot of Samsung smart phones are OLED so I wouldn't use that as a comparison OLED is far superior to any screen technology just a shame high refresh OLED monitor aren't in existence yet  

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

If you are using it purely for gaming a TN high refresh around 120-144hz is definitely worth the trade off of IPS especially in CS:GO everything looks smoother less blur and when someone comes round a corner and you swear you shot first on a 60hz monitor but some how died that becomes less often with a 144hz monitor (Source I recently upgraded to 144hz G-sync) Check out the AOC G2460PG it's a great gaming monitor with the addition of G-sync and would probably be about the right resolution for a GTX970

Custom PC:

Angry Birds Support for Ultrawide don't know why but that made me chuckle xD

Dunno, i love playing an even less demanding game than Angry Birds ... Theme Hospital on 21:9

:)

Also, i have a samsung phone with an AMOLED (which is just OLED really) screen. Ye its stellar. IPS still looks good next to it.

TN however... holy shit, it makes it look so shit that TN should be illegal.

Dunno, i love playing an even less demanding game than Angry Birds ... Theme Hospital on 21:9

:)

Also, i have a samsung phone with an AMOLED (which is just OLED really) screen. Ye its stellar. IPS still looks good next to it.

TN however... holy shit, it makes it look so shit that TN should be illegal.

Theme Hospital FTW deflating and then re-inflating those patients heads lol xD

Custom PC:

The 29um65 is the static 60hz version.

The 29um67 is the freesync 75hz version.

And they both cost the same and are in fact the cheapest 29" ultrawides you can get.

I think, the 75hz with freesync is gona be significantly better than the static 60hz you have been used to so far. Not to mention you get a widescreen IPS, which by itself is mindblowing for gaming.

Yes, i think you will enjoy yourself way more if you get that freesync widescreen and change to an AMD card that supports it. Way more than you would have on a 16:9 120hz TN.

Also, productivity wise 21:9 is awesome. You get two 5:4 monitors side by side without a bezel, if just use windows snap to the sides. And anything with a timeline will be more comfortable to work with on 21:9 than 16:9.

Thanks for the help, so 75hz is quite a lot better than 60hz. And about gpu, everyone says that those nvidia gameworks really look amazing. But I shouldnt choose those over fps right?

Thanks for the help, so 75hz is quite a lot better than 60hz. And about gpu, everyone says that those nvidia gameworks really look amazing. But I shouldnt choose those over fps right?

75Hz will be like night and day compared to 60hz it gives you 15fps more where if you can get above 60fps it will looks super smooth not quite 144hz smooth but it will be much better than 60hz and being an ultrawide you get more peripheral vision as well so all round a good combination of above 60hz refresh and extra width however you might have to go to NVidia control settings and set it to 75hz I have heard a lot of people say it defaults at 60hz out of the box but can be set to 75hz in the control panel.

Also forgot to add if tearing does become an issue you could always enable Nvidia Adaptive VSync it effectively only turn VSync on when you get over 75FPS or your monitors cap so you don't get tearing and then when you get lower than 75FPS is will disable it self to prevent stuttering.

Custom PC:

75Hz will be like night and day compared to 60hz it gives you 15fps more where if you can get above 60fps it will looks super smooth not quite 144hz smooth but it will be much better than 60hz and being an ultrawide you get more peripheral vision as well so all round a good combination of above 60hz refresh and extra width however you might have to go to NVidia control settings and set it to 75hz I have heard a lot of people say it defaults at 60hz out of the box but can be set to 75hz in the control panel.

Nvidia? But I can only get 75hz on amd right?

Nvidia? But I can only get 75hz on amd right?

I believe it goes up to 75hz on NVidia as well accept you have to set it up as a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel.

Custom PC:

I believe it goes up to 75hz on NVidia as well accept you have to set it up as a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel.

Not the 29um67 though?

Not the 29um67 though?

Yeah the 29UM67 and 34UM67 but don't quote me on it I saw it in the comments of Linus's video might be a good question to ask in a separate thread from owner of the monitor then they can always check it for you.

Custom PC: